Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE LAST TIME OUT

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Malky went with a 4-4-2 Do you think he should stick with that formation home and away ?

Personally I want to see us use our attacking quality and be more aggressive during games like we were against Wolves.

Away from home you would expect sides to come at us and think the 4-4-2 will give us more space to go at teams.

What are your thoughts ?

Re: THE LAST TIME OUT

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:18 pm

werent dave jones slated on here for playing with a 4 4 2 formation???????????????????

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Alternate depending on the opposition like any decent manager would do. To be honest wouldnt blame him if he went 4-5-1 against leeds due to the physicallity of the game. Playing 4-4-2 with Whitts and Mutch in the middle can see us getting bullied

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:24 pm

4-3-3

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:25 pm

caerblue wrote:werent dave jones slated on here for playing with a 4 4 2 formation???????????????????

Shhh You're not allowed to mention that :lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:25 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:Alternate depending on the opposition like any decent manager would do. To be honest wouldnt blame him if he went 4-5-1 against leeds due to the physicallity of the game. Playing 4-4-2 with Whitts and Mutch in the middle can see us getting bullied

Wouldn't mind seeing Kiss given a go in the middle against Leeds, he had a good pre-season and has got a bit of bite about his game.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:27 pm

caerblue wrote:werent dave jones slated on here for playing with a 4 4 2 formation???????????????????

It was more a case of DJ not changing tactics when things went going well, whether that be during a game or after a poor run of results.

Fans wanted to see us trying something different other than what we became expected to know.

Malky has tried a few different formations already since his arrival.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:27 pm

GarethBrad wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:Alternate depending on the opposition like any decent manager would do. To be honest wouldnt blame him if he went 4-5-1 against leeds due to the physicallity of the game. Playing 4-4-2 with Whitts and Mutch in the middle can see us getting bullied

Wouldn't mind seeing Kiss given a go in the middle against Leeds, he had a good pre-season and has got a bit of bite about his game.

Same I really like him and your right he is exactly what we need against them and he can play football

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:4-3-3

Interesring Ian, who would be in your 3 midfield ?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:30 pm

GarethBrad wrote:

I don't know about Kiss Gareth tbh, too rash in the challenge for me, I understand your thinking but I do worry about the amount of yellow cards he will pick up due to the amount of time he spends on the floor going into the tackle.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:35 pm

carlccfc wrote:
GarethBrad wrote:

I don't know about Kiss Gareth tbh, too rash in the challenge for me, I understand your thinking but I do worry about the amount of yellow cards he will pick up due to the amount of time he spends on the floor going into the tackle.

Im not sure looks a better player this season and he's a tough fella which is what we need at times

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Carl, do u think he will keep to the winning side that controlled the game against wolves or risk altering it and adding bellamy? I think even tho on his day he is the best player in the division, he should b starting on the bench..

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:40 pm

carlccfc wrote:

It was more a case of DJ not changing tactics when things went going well, whether that be during a game or after a poor run of results.

Fans wanted to see us trying something different other than what we became expected to know.

could nt stand dj personally so agree with your reply,but goes to show how fickle football fans are totally slate one manager for his tatics then scream for another manager to play the same :lol: ,i bet if dj reads this forum he ll be pulling his hair out :lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:40 pm

bambino1979 wrote:Carl, do u think he will keep to the winning side that controlled the game against wolves or risk altering it and adding bellamy? I think even tho on his day he is the best player in the division, he should b starting on the bench..

I am sure Bellamy will be on the bench Niño.

If there is a change to the 11 that started against Wolves then I would imagine it would be Turner for Connolly.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 pm

caerblue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

could nt stand dj personally so agree with your reply,but goes to show how fickle football fans are totally slate one manager for his tatics then scream for another manager to play the same :lol: ,i bet if dj reads this forum he ll be pulling his hair out :lol: :lol:

I made that exact comment leaving the stadium after Wolves :lol:

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:45 pm

carlccfc wrote:
bambino1979 wrote:Carl, do u think he will keep to the winning side that controlled the game against wolves or risk altering it and adding bellamy? I think even tho on his day he is the best player in the division, he should b starting on the bench..

I am sure Bellamy will be on the bench Niño.

If there is a change to the 11 that started against Wolves then I would imagine it would be Turner for Connolly.

I hope so mate, as daft as that sounds, cos on paper he is the player clubs fear. Good shout on Connolly, tho I was impressed with how well he played and is most definitely competition.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Remember the chant in the grange end???

Attack, attack attack

Attack is the best form of defence!!

:ayatollah:

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:51 pm

carlccfc wrote:Malky went with a 4-4-2 Do you think he should stick with that formation home and away ?

Personally I want to see us use our attacking quality and be more aggressive during games like we were against Wolves.

Away from home you would expect sides to come at us and think the 4-4-2 will give us more space to go at teams.

What are your thoughts ?

Malky and some of the players - including Whitts - have spoken about the shape of the team. They have all said it is not about rigid formations (4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 3-4-3, 4-2-3-1, or whatever) but is more about a fluid shape, flexibility and decision making on the pitch.

That makes a lot of sense to me when I watch them play. Some of them - mainly the back 4 - are working to a disciplined formation, even when the full backs try to get forward they are working with a fairly simple shape, but most of the time it is not that rigid.

Whitts was reported as complaining about being played too deep in that 'infamous' quarter back role. But what he actually said - and Malky reinforced (and it wasn't spinning the Whitts interview) was that the midfield 4 or 5 were trying to rotate positions more - but at Bristol City got pegged back and didn't do what they trained to do. The intention was for Whitts to be playing deep at one time, but moving up in support of the strikers at others, with Mutch or Gunnar dropping back. They did that much better in the Wolves game - and we have a lot of intelligent and technical midfielders now - so that is a way of playing that should suit us, and cause chaos for the opposition.

:ayatollah:

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:02 am

Here's a clip from a Dave Jones press conference regarding his usage of the 4-4-2. He mistakenly says "England" instead of "Cardiff City" though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7hEqCdAwjs

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 am

chrisdoi wrote:

Here's a clip from a Dave Jones press conference regarding his usage of the 4-4-2. He mistakenly says "England" instead of "Cardiff City" though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7hEqCdAwjs

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :lol: