Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

This referee really is a wanker!

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Report on Wales v Belgium game, focussing on the performance of the referee

http://www.fiskbook.com

Re: This referee really is a wanker!

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Obvious red card. Late and reckless, how anyone can disagree is beyond me.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Definitely was a red card, if it was a Belgian player we'd have been causing world war 3

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:52 pm

What made things worse was that up until that point, Collins was one of the outstanding players on the pitch, providing solid defence, and looking like he could be very useful in the air from set pieces at the other end. It was almost as if the ref felt that sending Collins off would provide a leveller for the Belgian side, despite their team being packed full of stars.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dream on!

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm not being funny guys - were you there? Are you actually Wales supporters?

That was just a regular old-fashioned sliding tackle. The Belgian player was going for it in the same way. He has only just clipped the guy's leg, which would not have caused him any harm, and there was no way it could be described as intentional. That is not a red card offence, possibly only a caution, without even being a yellow.

You surely have to agree that the ref was then, for the rest of the match, biased against Wales. The push just outside the Belgian penalty area was an obvious foul not given, and the free kick given to Belgium for their second goal was equally obviously incorrect. Watch the game through, and you'll see a whole host of incorrect decisions, and as I've mentioned, the Sky commentators picked up on this, frequently stating that the referee was biased in favour of Belgium to the extent that it was getting "ridiculous".

I think you're all just looking at the fact that Belgium are packed full of stars like Fellaini, etc. But despite a lot of possession, they didn't really do all that much. I do not think it's wrong to state that James Collins was looking very effective up until the time he was incorrectly sent off, and would have continued to make things very difficult for Belgium.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:14 pm

nickblue22 wrote:I'm not being funny guys - were you there? Are you actually Wales supporters?

That was just a regular old-fashioned sliding tackle. The Belgian player was going for it in the same way. He has only just clipped the guy's leg, which would not have caused him any harm, and there was no way it could be described as intentional. That is not a red card offence, possibly only a caution, without even being a yellow.

You surely have to agree that the ref was then, for the rest of the match, biased against Wales. The push just outside the Belgian penalty area was an obvious foul not given, and the free kick given to Belgium for their second goal was equally obviously incorrect. Watch the game through, and you'll see a whole host of incorrect decisions, and as I've mentioned, the Sky commentators picked up on this, frequently stating that the referee was biased in favour of Belgium to the extent that it was getting "ridiculous".

I think you're all just looking at the fact that Belgium are packed full of stars like Fellaini, etc. But despite a lot of possession, they didn't really do all that much. I do not think it's wrong to state that James Collins was looking very effective up until the time he was incorrectly sent off, and would have continued to make things very difficult for Belgium.

Stop rambling. From where I was in the Canton there were a few grumbles but most agreed it was a straight red. As do most on here, and as do the majority of the objective media as you alluded to. Two footed, off the ground, mistimed, reckless, unneccessary, all are applicable. You described it as "old-fashioned", that says it all really.

This has zero to do with the Belgian squad, Collins' performance, the referee, or any other external factor. The tackle itself was a red card.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:17 pm

nickblue22 wrote:I'm not being funny guys - were you there? Are you actually Wales supporters?

Yeah I did feel he was a bit biased to the Belgians but it was a sending off, it's how football is nowadays, I thought it was a red card as soon as I saw it, went home and watched it, opinion didn't change

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Flip it round the other way - if he'd only got a yellow card, would you have been screaming that it was a definite red? I really don't think so, and I honestly feel that the majority of referees would only have given a yellow card at most in that situation.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:45 pm

nickblue22 wrote:Flip it round the other way - if he'd only got a yellow card, would you have been screaming that it was a definite red? I really don't think so, and I honestly feel that the majority of referees would only have given a yellow card at most in that situation.

Why would I scream for a sending off against Wales? If he had been given a yellow I would have thought he was a VERY lucky boy. However the right decision was made.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:55 pm

It was an appalling challenge - two footed, studs showing from behind and off the ground. I agree the ref had a pretty poor game, but how anyone can say that was a good old fashoined sliding tackle challenge is beyond me.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:06 pm

I give up. Clearly the days of getting behind your own team are as long gone as the notion that physical exertion might be required to win the ball from the opposition.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:

It was an appalling challenge - two footed, studs showing from behind and off the ground. I agree the ref had a pretty poor game, but how anyone can say that was a good old fashoined sliding tackle challenge is beyond me.

Couldn't agree more! That's how legs get broken!

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:59 pm

nickblue22 wrote:That was just a regular old-fashioned sliding tackle.

The term "old-fashioned" is where your claims are killed, I'm afraid. In this day and age of football, it was a straight red.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:28 pm

nickblue22 wrote:I give up. Clearly the days of getting behind your own team are as long gone as the notion that physical exertion might be required to win the ball from the opposition.

What does this have to do with "getting behind your own team"? We were there, supporting Wales, just like you. Simply because you write a nonsensical 'blog' doesn't give you some kind of superiority.

I support Wales, but I don't support dangerous tackles. There's a reason why the majority of supporters and the media concur that yes, it was indeed a red card.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Agree - its nothing to do with supporting your team. Its being able to have an unbiased opinion and it was an awful challenge that deserved a straight red card whether it be a welsh, belgian or any other nationality player who made it.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Deffo Red. But my beef was so was Fellani's tackle on Rambo. But apart from that the Refs bias was embarrassing

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 am

the Ref's bias was embarrassing

Some clarity at last!

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 am

the Ref's bias was embarrassing

Some clarity at last!

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:33 am

The ref was shocking definetly but like others it was a red. As soon as he went in I knew he was off. It was a reckless challenge that was not needed should have just brought him down earlier