Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MALKY MACKAY RULES OUT LOAN MOVES

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:02 am

CARDIFF City manager Malky Mackay has revealed he will not be adding to his squad during the current loan transfer window.

Mackay, after a busy summer of recruitment that has seen the likes of Jordan Mutch, Etien Velikonja, Kim Bo-Kyung, Heidar Helguson, Matthew Connolly, Tommy Smith, Craig Noone and Micky Maynard arrive at the club, says he is satisfied with what he already has.

There had been speculation the City boss would move to bring in more defensive cover, with options looking light at the back following the departures of Darcy Blake, Anthony Gerrard and Paul Quinn.

But Mackay says, barring any major injuries, he will keep things as they are.

“I’ve got a group together now that I’m very happy with,” said Mackay.

“When it comes to defensive cover we are light, but that is just what it is, cover. To bring in someone to sit in the stands on loan just does not feel right for me.

“I’m prepared to go now with what we have. I would only think of bringing someone in if it was desperately required, if something remarkable happened on the injury front.

“We’ve had 10 players come in this summer, but people seem to forget that nine have gone so we are operating with a similar-sized squad to what we had last season. What we have managed to do, though, is increase the quality within the squad which I’m very pleased about.”

The Bluebirds have taken some time off during the international break, with their training HQ at the Vale Resort closed over the weekend to give players and staff a rest.

Preparations will now continue for their next Championship outing, the visit of Neil Warnock’s Leeds to the Welsh capital on Saturday.

Mackay is hoping centre-half Ben Turner will have recovered from a foot problem that ruled him out of the last two matches, a defeat at Bristol City and a 3-1 win at home to Wolves. New signing Matt Connolly has stepped in on both occasions.

Star man Craig Bellamy is also back in light training as he looks to recover from a calf tear. When asked if the 33-year-old would be fit to face Leeds this weekend, Mackay replied: “Maybe.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z263WHVLK9

Re: MALKY MACKAY RULES OUT LOAN MOVES

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 am

Interesting.... :shock:

Why is this I wonder? :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:52 am

Makes sense. Unless we get injuries we don't need another defender.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am

To say he will not bring anyone in is silly imo, there are some little diamonds you can pick up in the loan window but at the same time I get his is now trying to build a squad. In Malky we trust!!

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:59 am

Odd move, in my opinion. Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite him!

Then again, he can always use Keinan as defensive back up. Nothing wrong with his play - whatsoever.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 am

i don't believe it for a minute. I think it's Malky trying to lower expectations. If a loan player of quality comes up with a view to buying after a season lomg deal, then he will pounce. If not we still got January to come and I really do hope Malky learns from last season that a few new faces coming in the January window really boosts the chances of promotion. Meanwhile w can't complain at the quality of our squad. Please all keep remembering where we were under the control of Messrs Ridsdale and Jones i.e close to going out of business. It has been a remarkable recovery. Bloobirds are going up :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 am

Guessing he trusts Ben Nugent, hence why he's been on the bench lately, can cover LB and CB. I'm glad he'll be giving a youth a chance in what is a vital season :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:51 am

2blue2handle wrote:Makes sense. Unless we get injuries we don't need another defender.

True but injuries happen

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:15 pm

LutonBluebird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Makes sense. Unless we get injuries we don't need another defender.

True but injuries happen

Yes but it's not like we don't have cover, Connelly and Keinan are cover if needed and he seems to rate Nugent.

How often last season did we need to cover that many injuries in defence?

If we get injuries to say two key players I'm sure he would look at loans

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:25 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
LutonBluebird wrote:

True but injuries happen

Yes but it's not like we don't have cover, Connelly and Keinan are cover if needed and he seems to rate Nugent.

How often last season did we need to cover that many injuries in defence?

If we get injuries to say two key players I'm sure he would look at loans

Connolly is only cover if Turner is fit!

If Turner is unfit, then we only have Nugent and Keinan (who he clearly doesn't trust or rate)!

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:34 pm

Makes sense I suppose. Why unsettle the squad with a loan player unless he's a season
long loan. There is always the emergency loan window to use if desperate. What he's
saying to the lads we got is... Make that place in the team your own

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:10 pm

We don't need a defence , we are Cardiff city, and we score when we want.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Strange decision by Malky unless he's playing mind games with other clubs.

We only have 5 defenders who realistically Malky thinks are good enough to start: Kev, Huds, Turner, Tayls and Connolly. Nugent hasn't made a league appearance yet and for some reason Malky doesn't trust Keinan even to be on the bench!

If we only had 5 midfielders who Malky would pick from we'd be stuffed but thankfully you can get away with it defensively if we're lucky with injuries.

If we've spent this much money this window and can clearly afford a player in on loan, why risk it and not get defensive cover??? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Name a player who would want to come and warm a bench for 3months who is good.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:27 pm

A lot of people used to moan about DJ not giving youth a chance and instead loaning in average players.
If he has faith in Nugent them let's use him if/when he is needed.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Oh well atleast if we do get 1-2 injurys in defence it will be the only excuse MM can come up with if we fail this season, the same as last season we all knew what was comiing and the excuses that we was told i expect more of the same but no depth in denfence if we fail this season. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Whose Mickey Maynard, is he Nicky's brother? :?: :D

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Well I thought we would upgrade our full backs who are our weak link.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:06 pm

I hope this statement has a positive effect on defenders. Some defenders may see it as they're position being guaranteed, hopefully though the defence remain professional or even play better because the manager is showing faith in them.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Generally pleased with the additions up front and in midfield but have to say I'm not convinced about our defence , particularly weak in both full back positions and I would like to see a footballer at CB - BT & MH are a little too similar for me , both lack mobility and tend to hoof the ball upfield rather than pass it ! Havent seen enough of MC to make informed opinion as yet ! Is MM giving them a confidence boost - might work but hope it doesnt come back to haunt us !?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:57 pm

F**k me lets save a bit of money and give Nugent our full support.. he is on the verge of a break through with us and I fully support as much as I supported Matthews when he broke through. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Coco wrote:Generally pleased with the additions up front and in midfield but have to say I'm not convinced about our defence , particularly weak in both full back positions and I would like to see a footballer at CB - BT & MH are a little too similar for me , both lack mobility and tend to hoof the ball upfield rather than pass it ! Havent seen enough of MC to make informed opinion as yet ! Is MM giving them a confidence boost - might work but hope it doesnt come back to haunt us !?

Tbh I think our fullbacks are massively underrated.

Taylor isn't the best defensively but LB has always been a massively difficult position to fill in any league.
Kev looked awesome against wolves, and with a player infront of him he will be one of the best in the league.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:25 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Coco wrote:Generally pleased with the additions up front and in midfield but have to say I'm not convinced about our defence , particularly weak in both full back positions and I would like to see a footballer at CB - BT & MH are a little too similar for me , both lack mobility and tend to hoof the ball upfield rather than pass it ! Havent seen enough of MC to make informed opinion as yet ! Is MM giving them a confidence boost - might work but hope it doesnt come back to haunt us !?

Taylor isn't the best defensively but LB has always been a massively difficult position to fill in any league.
Kev looked awesome against wolves, and with a player infront of him he will be one of the best in the league.

I agree massively. I dont understand the sudden critisism of Super Kev. Hes been awesome for us year after year. Only last year did he look a little off but mostly because he had no help from Malkys Son in front of him

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:47 pm

I hope someone like Kadeem Harris goes out on loan to get some game time. Can't see him getting much/any here.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I agree massively. I dont understand the sudden critisism of Super Kev. Hes been awesome for us year after year. Only last year did he look a little off but mostly because he had no help from Malkys Son in front of him

UMMMMMMMM, no help form Cowie????

Did you see any of our games last season? thats Cowies problem, he tracks back far too much!