Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

is it possible to join the RAF but..

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Live and work within the UK as an avionics and mechanical engineer?

Re: is it possible to join the RAF but..

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 pm

yes

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:yes

great :D would i have to ring them to discuss this further? dont wanna go Afghanistan

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:42 pm

TheTrueBlue7 wrote:

great :D would i have to ring them to discuss this further? dont wanna go Afghanistan

No, it will probably just happen.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Damned Yank wrote:
TheTrueBlue7 wrote:

what will :L

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:05 pm

TheTrueBlue7 wrote:

totally depends on what aircraft you end up on. Helicopters and yes Afghan is a possibilty.....Typhon and it is unlikely.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:07 pm

they are cutting down on recruitment mate :ayatollah: its worth ringing them to clarify what roles are available.... ,

regiment gunners are vacant experienced officers also ATM, quite a long process. I wouldn't advise going for the raf if you dont wanna face conflict, in the current climate theirs a high risk status worldwide, on conflict threat.

Afghan and the raf you would be considerably safe maybe some pre warned open fire but bases are secure and hard to attack.
but look at the bigger picture we cant safely say they wont be a bigger war

go for a job in politics :lol:

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:they are cutting down on recruitment mate :ayatollah: its worth ringing them to clarify what roles are available.... ,

regiment gunners are vacant experienced officers also ATM, quite a long process. I wouldn't advise going for the raf if you dont wanna face conflict, in the current climate theirs a high risk status worldwide, on conflict threat.

Afghan and the raf you would be considerably safe maybe some pre warned open fire but bases are secure and hard to attack.

only looking on doing typhoons apprentice spots are open?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:00 am

TheTrueBlue7 wrote:
sloper_road_legend wrote:they are cutting down on recruitment mate :ayatollah: its worth ringing them to clarify what roles are available.... ,

only looking on doing typhoons apprentice spots are open?

I wanted to go on base, career in physical training, they only had vacancies Reg gunners and experienced officers, was accepted decided not to go in the end,
anyway ring the office and they'l tell you what is available before you apply

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:00 am

TheTrueBlue7 wrote:
Damned Yank wrote:
TheTrueBlue7 wrote:

You, joining the raf.

As in, of course you'll have to call them.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:12 am

Damned Yank wrote:
TheTrueBlue7 wrote:
Damned Yank wrote:
TheTrueBlue7 wrote:

You, joining the raf.

As in, of course you'll have to call them.

:lol:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:56 am

They will probably send you a leaflet through the post in about 10 years when you are 16 mate. :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:22 am

Afghan would be safer than Britain for any Flight Line Mechanics and the like.

The aircraft are massively protected as they cost a f*cking fortune.

I wouldnt worry about going over there mate, You'd fly in safely and spend
6 months wrapped up like a parcel with more security outside the fence than
you could shake a stick at!!!

However, RAF Regiment Gunner??... they occasionally have to patrol the perimeters
etc. A bit more dangerous. But still pretty safe compared to some other jobs

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:41 am

I wouldn't bother joining if you don't want to go ooa.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:32 am

Scratch my last. Call them today or I would go in. It's in town opposite prince of Wales is armed forces careers office. Ask to speak to the raf guy about joining. When you speak to him tell him you don't want to go away and want to stay in the uk. Ask about getting downgraded as that's a good way of not
Going away. You might have to pretend you have a bad back though. Also you could say you don't fancy marching much, or learning to fire a rifle, don't like the idea of doing fitness tests every 6 months and don't want to be doing any Olympic security stuff or owt like that. Also you could say you don't like the idea of sharing a room ever or sleeping out in a tent.

Good luck.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:27 am

maccydee wrote:Scratch my last. Call them today or I would go in. It's in town opposite prince of Wales is armed forces careers office. Ask to speak to the raf guy about joining. When you speak to him tell him you don't want to go away and want to stay in the uk. Ask about getting downgraded as that's a good way of not
Going away. You might have to pretend you have a bad back though. Also you could say you don't fancy marching much, or learning to fire a rifle, don't like the idea of doing fitness tests every 6 months and don't want to be doing any Olympic security stuff or owt like that. Also you could say you don't like the idea of sharing a room ever or sleeping out in a tent.

Good luck.

like it, very true!
The moral of the story? if you are not prepared to go and play your part, then stay in civie street, and yes we need them too.

all the best.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Yep if I was in an afco and he came in saying didn't want to go Afghanistan id tell him to poke off.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:20 pm

taffyapple wrote:Afghan would be safer than Britain for any Flight Line Mechanics and the like.

However, RAF Regiment Gunner??... they occasionally have to patrol the perimeters

Losing a gunner from each squadron a tour at the moment. RIP. they push out about 10-15 clicks normally.

Coppers are doing the FP now.

If you join the RAF you will go to afghan. but like taffy said, you'l be tucked away servicing aircraft all day. Save a lot of cash, work long hrs, but see little danger. The kaf and bastion have decent facilities so it's not as bad as you think.

Go to the afco, but be keen as, don't tell them you don't want to go to afghan. Just give them all the stuff they want to here.

You'l love the raf, ESP as a youngster!

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:41 pm

maccydee wrote:Scratch my last. Call them today or I would go in. It's in town opposite prince of Wales is armed forces careers office. Ask to speak to the raf guy about joining. When you speak to him tell him you don't want to go away and want to stay in the uk. Ask about getting downgraded as that's a good way of not

Good luck.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:
taffyapple wrote:Afghan would be safer than Britain for any Flight Line Mechanics and the like.

Losing a gunner from each squadron a tour at the moment. RIP. they push out about 10-15 clicks normally.

Coppers are doing the FP now.

If you join the RAF you will go to afghan. but like taffy said, you'l be tucked away servicing aircraft all day. Save a lot of cash, work long hrs, but see little danger. The kaf and bastion have decent facilities so it's not as bad as you think.

Go to the afco, but be keen as, don't tell them you don't want to go to afghan. Just give them all the stuff they want to here.

You'l love the raf, ESP as a youngster!

Ramstein don't tell him to mislead the AFCO. It will cause him problems later when he does have to go out.

I don't think the RAF is for him to be honest.