Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Its funny what a winning team does for the fan base

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Its funny what a winning team does for the fan base even if your in the lowest divisions.

Just looking Chester City in Conference North, had just under 3,000 in a division with crowds of 200-300, yet when Chester were in our lower leagues losing and going out they barely got 1,500 home crowds, now they even take 400 to most away fans.

Same goes for Wrexham,Newport and Halifax.

Also I noticed Bradford in Division 4 (I call it that),take over 2,000 fans to Rotherham, 1,500 to Accrington, when I look at our away support nowadays, are we really well supported away anymore ?

Plymouth take 600 -1,200 regularly up to London and even up North and they are near the bottom of Division 4.

Cardiff for 30 years had nothing but misery, yet our away support was superb compared to our home crowds, now we have had 12 years of success, our home crowds are virtually 5 times as big, yet our away support ?

Re: Its funny what a winning team does for the fan base

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:13 pm

I think we are well supported away, no doubting that over the last god knows how many yrs.

But......will those clubs you have mentioned consistently take that away or is it cos it's early on in the season, are those teams doing well? I know the two welsh teams are :D

Will Bradford take 1500 to the south coast for example, if Rotherham and Accrington are not that far away.
Bloody good following all the same for a division 4 club.

I think we consistently take a good number of fans from August to May, whether we are top or bottom :ayatollah:

Interesting that our home crowds are five times bigger, and I think our away support is bigger, but not by five times bigger that's for sure.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I think a lot of it comes down to finances to be honest.

There are four in my house who have season tickets which cost us near enough £1000 per season, and we hardly ever do away games because of the expense.

Football is a very expensive hobby. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:41 pm

i'm the opposite i prefer the away games, and i dont get to many home games cos of work commitments :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:48 pm

We've been going to the same grounds for ten years or what ever it is now, some fans just can't be bothered going to a ground they've been to 5times already. Shouldn't be like that but I understand where they're coming from.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:01 pm

I think it's not that impressive when you look at our gates at home, but when comparing them to other big teams in the league for example derby and florist, and other teams in the league we are consistently near the top, bearing in mind that our average away attendance would be higher if we didnt have so many restrictions/bubble trips/sunday ko's to put up with eg west ham at the beginning of last season.

Also as others hav mentioned it's a big ask to fork out for a season ticket every season and do away games aswell, i managed around 13 last season but am definitly chilling out on them this season as it's so much money, although every away game is a really good crack i do prefer them to home games.

:ayatollah:

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:54 pm

dont forget also a lot teams are local to each other so cheaper to to go to 30miles is not 150! take me for exsample to get to away game could cost me best part £100 so i dont go pay £1500 a season as it is!!! :D

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:27 pm

pembroke allan makes a good point. Last season, I was reading the programmes for our away games at Forest and Leicester, and was struck by how many away fans were at games. Obvious, when you think about it. We are that much further away from everywhere. Longer travel times, and more expensive. If we were in the Midlands, we would take more away (local, north and south) and would see more away fans at our ground too. As it is, our away support is OK, especially considering the many restrictions placed on us over the years.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:32 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:pembroke allan makes a good point. Last season, I was reading the programmes for our away games at Forest and Leicester, and was struck by how many away fans were at games. Obvious, when you think about it. We are that much further away from everywhere. Longer travel times, and more expensive. If we were in the Midlands, we would take more away (local, north and south) and would see more away fans at our ground too. As it is, our away support is OK, especially considering the many restrictions placed on us over the years.

Carful what you say about "if we were in the Midlands".

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Don't forget as well that to get a ticket for a City away game you have to be a season ticket holder or away member. That's probably not the case for most Championship clubs.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Its funny what a winning team does for the fan base even if your in the lowest divisions.

Just looking Chester City in Conference North, had just under 3,000 in a division with crowds of 200-300, yet when Chester were in our lower leagues losing and going out they barely got 1,500 home crowds, now they even take 400 to most away fans.

Also I noticed Bradford in Division 4 (I call it that),take over 2,000 fans to Rotherham, 1,500 to Accrington, when I look at our away support nowadays, are we really well supported away anymore ?

Plymouth take 600 -1,200 regularly up to London and even up North and they are near the bottom of Division 4.

Cardiff for 30 years had nothing but misery, yet our away support was superb compared to our home crowds, now we have had 12 years of success, our home crowds are virtually 5 times as big, yet our away support ?

annis,chester have been reborn so to speak.along with the relative success they are having they also have the feel good factor of having a club which is generally on the up and that they feel they have a bigger input in.they would no doubt feel that all the falses promises/let downs of previous regimes are a thing of the past .same could be said of the other 3 teams you mentioned.plymouth have always had great away support considering the distances they have to go.again they are almost starting again after the chaos of the last few seasons.they may not be doing that well on the pitch but i,m sure they have been galvanised by the way they nearly went to the wall.pompey will be stronger as a club/fan base in the long term too

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:52 pm

jtc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Its funny what a winning team does for the fan base even if your in the lowest divisions.

annis,chester have been reborn so to speak.along with the relative success they are having they also have the feel good factor of having a club which is generally on the up and that they feel they have a bigger input in.they would no doubt feel that all the falses promises/let downs of previous regimes are a thing of the past .same could be said of the other 3 teams you mentioned.plymouth have always had great away support considering the distances they have to go.again they are almost starting again after the chaos of the last few seasons.they may not be doing that well on the pitch but i,m sure they have been galvanised by the way they nearly went to the wall.pompey will be stronger as a club/fan base in the long term too

Jeff,
Your right and Pompey and Rangers will come back stronger.
Rangers crowds are now bigger than Celtics.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
jtc wrote:

Jeff,
Your right and Pompey and Rangers will come back stronger.
Rangers crowds are now bigger than Celtics.

the fans of these clubs will feel closer to the team now than when they,ve won any trophy.stripped bare of the trappings it,s just the fans and the team.luke rodgers was buzzing about pompeys fans the other night.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Sometimes i think when clubs drop out of the league it gives their fans and the area a kick up the arse and they come out to support that club..
Has for our away support lots of people just cant afford it or have other financial commitments.
I followed city away a hell of alot during the late 80s and through the 90s but these days i'd need to pay for 3 tickets and 3 seats on a bus thats without food and so on..

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:48 pm

jinks-rct wrote:Sometimes i think when clubs drop out of the league it gives their fans and the area a kick up the arse and they come out to support that club..
Has for our away support lots of people just cant afford it or have other financial commitments.
I followed city away a hell of alot during the late 80s and through the 90s but these days i'd need to pay for 3 tickets and 3 seats on a bus thats without food and so on..

agree on both counts.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:19 am

Do you think its possible that fans of the lower leagues feel closer to the players especially in the non leagues where players will probally turn up in the clubhouse afterwards for a pint and a chat where as p0layers in the championship and premier league are living on a different planet from most of us.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:35 am

Maybe a large percentage of the lads that used to travel to the away games are now serving bans....

Add to that all the shit that City fans have had to put up with over the years when travelling, it's no surprise that our away numbers are down.

Also have to factor in the added cost of travelling away. Now looking at near £30 a ticket, £25 for bus then all the beer money. We're in a recession, people just don't have the spare cash.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:52 am

I think the harassment from the coppers and the assumed threat of violence is what is badly effecting our away support.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:44 pm

barrybluebird wrote:Do you think its possible that fans of the lower leagues feel closer to the players especially in the non leagues where players will probally turn up in the clubhouse afterwards for a pint and a chat where as p0layers in the championship and premier league are living on a different planet from most of us.

good call.i,m not fussed about meeting them but i,d expect them to be polite if i did.as i would be to them.on youtube there is a vid of keith fahey a few months ago at his old irish club st pats.mingling and even having a go on the drum.also my mate showed me pics of his kid and keith which he took in brum when they bumped into him shopping.fahey has had a career which hasn,t always gone to plan.maybe these type of footballers who have played in lower levels can commicate better than lads who have only known fame and big wages since kicking a ball for money?

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Karl wrote:I think the harassment from the coppers and the assumed threat of violence is what is badly effecting our away support.

this is true i used to go away every game but got so hard because of cops behaviour and attitude to us want worth effort,
no canot afford it its that simple :D

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:21 pm

Considering we're in Wales (far from everyone else) and our away fixtures are usually highly policed I think our average away support is very good. It was around 1,300 last season whereas the average support coming to the CCS was around 800, so I think that's pretty good :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:35 pm

CantonJack wrote:Considering we're in Wales (far from everyone else) and our away fixtures are usually highly policed I think our average away support is very good. It was around 1,300 last season whereas the average support coming to the CCS was around 800, so I think that's pretty good :ayatollah:

yes you have to figure that in .where my club is in the centre of england it could be said ours should be better.then we have to take into account the ecconomic times.the fact that a lot of the over 40,s who used to be away at all costs in the day have kids,houses etc.the younger lads do go away but maybe not the same percentage as years ago plus maybe they are more clued up and realise that some things are more important than football.in the 8o,s there were less things to spend your spare money on,no streaming and no where near the tv coverage.saying that my mate is sunderland daft.i,v been to watford on a tue night with him .2k sunderland and wigan away for a promotion battle and they had 8kplus :shock: perhaps some of it comes down to size of the clubs as well.tbh sunderland are a lot bigger than ccfc or bcfc

Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:46 pm

most of our away support is lads out for a good time,if you went by train to bristol only a short journey only then to be marched on an hourish long treak to the stadium to find they werent opening up the bars