Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Kenny Miller/Cardiff City "

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:31 am

Blackpool loss halted Premier mission for Bluebirds – Kenny Miller
by Terry Phillips, South Wales EchoSep 7 2012

KENNY Miller’s focus might be on Scotland’s World Cup qualifying campaign just now, but he still hasn’t forgotten the moment he felt Cardiff City’s drive for automatic promotion started slipping away last season.

The striker, is now with Vancouver Whitecaps after just one year with the Bluebirds, is gearing up to face Serbia in his country’s Group A opener at Hampden Park tomorrow.

But he took time out to reflect on his time with City, which ended on something of a flat note even though he made a worthy contribution overall.

Miller believes the crunch for Cardiff in terms of missing out on promotion came after a home defeat against Blackpool last February when City had been in front, but fell away in a 3-1 defeat.

“I remember sitting with the lads at our training ground near the end of January and we were studying the table,” said Miller. “Cardiff were a point adrift of Southampton and two behind West Ham.

“It was an unbelievable position and everybody felt we would press on into the top two. A win against either Southampton away or Blackpool at home would have achieved that, but we didn’t win either.

“It was incredibly frustrating because we were in a really strong position and to be in the automatic places at that stage would have been massive for the club.”

City had just beaten Crystal Palace in the Carling Cup semi-finals and went into the clash at Southampton unbeaten in six league matches.

But they followed a draw against the Saints with that home defeat against Blackpool.

“It was a transitional season for Cardiff in many ways and qualifying for the play-offs was far from failure, but missing out on promotion was devastating,” admitted 32-year-old Miller.

“We were so close to winning the Carling Cup and it was a huge achievement reaching the final against Liverpool, but, looking back, it did affect our league form.”

Miller left the Bluebirds on a free transfer last summer and is now playing Major League Soccer for the Whitecaps in North America. He scored 11 goals in 47 starts for the Bluebirds last season, but managed only one in the last 21 matches.

“I enjoyed my time in Cardiff, worked hard and always gave it everything,” he insisted.

“Certainly it could have gone better for me and a few more goals would have helped everybody, but it was a time when things didn’t go my way near goal.

“Even now the first team I look for in the Championship is Cardiff.

“The time difference between here and Canada means when I get up on a Saturday morning I immediately look at how they are doing.

“I have stayed close to Don Cowie, Craig Conway and the other Scottish lads, while I really want Big Malky do well.

“He’s a good guy who gives the job everything he has and will earn the success I feel he is bound to have.

“When I look at the signings City have made it’s clear they have strength in depth, which is exactly what was missing last season. If there are injuries they have quality players ready and waiting.

“From what I can see the only problem City will have this season is keeping everybody happy.

“The performance against Wolves was top notch and when I looked at the team it was a surprise to see Aron Gunnarsson and Cowie among the subs.

“There are options throughout the squad and I really like the look of the Heidar Helguson-Nicky Maynard partnership in attack.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z25rSDpL6J

Re: " Kenny Miller/Cardiff City "

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:54 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91908 :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:13 am

that blackpool match was amazing really. Blackpool took us apart with some devastating play after we were the better team for most of the match.

Out of interest, who here would take Miller back on loan in the (MLS/Canadian) close season?

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:24 am

paulh_85 wrote:that blackpool match was amazing really. Blackpool took us apart with some devastating play after we were the better team for most of the match.

Out of interest, who here would take Miller back on loan in the (MLS/Canadian) close season?

I'd have Miller back straight away, I think hes a quality player just didnt have any service upfront with him last season. But good luck to Miller, hope it all goes well for him in the MLS.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:46 pm

KM is right, & i feel the motto " seize the moment" more than appropriate at that time, but due to our limitations, we didn't "seize the moment",,,,,& the rest is history. It would be interesting to see KM play in our current squad. Who knows???

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Fair play to him.
Think MM put a lot of pressure on him playing him upfront on his own but as said its history now.
Then again Malkys options were limited.
Always liked Kenny and yeah I'd take him back :ayatollah: