Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Aircraft Engineer

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Anyone a aircraft engineer or know any, i'm re-siting my maths GCSE to gain a better grade so next year i can study this :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Aircraft Engineer

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Try some of the big players like rolls/ airbus/ Bristol.or ge Caerphilly for any graduate vacancies. Also ndt qualification is big in this industry.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Tubzo wrote:Try some of the big players like rolls/ airbus/ Bristol.or ge Caerphilly for any graduate vacancies

aint grad spots after uni fella?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:20 pm

if you get your grades consider studying for a HNC/HND in Mechanical engineering

aerospace won't look at you otherwise

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:22 pm

I don't know about that side of it we've had a few with us they've sent them all round world.
There's loads of different types of engineering electrical/ mechanical / chemical I suppose it what you want to do

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:23 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:if you get your grades consider studying for a HNC/HND in Mechanical engineering

aerospace won't look at you otherwise

im doing my maths now because i got a D in my GCSE's just gone next year going collage (hopefully) doing aircraft engineering then to uni etc.. or im applying for apprenticeships now for next year

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Tubzo wrote:I don't know about that side of it we've had a few with us they've sent them all round world.
There's loads of different types of engineering electrical/ mechanical / chemical I suppose it what you want to do

electrical engineering :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 pm

then go to uni and study electrical engineering

try to get an apprenticeship first tho if you can !

Airbus over in bristol is the place to be if your looking for a career in that field

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:34 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:then go to uni and study electrical engineering

try to get an apprenticeship first tho if you can !

Airbus over in bristol is the place to be if your looking for a career in that field

yeah mate ima apply early for air bus ones next month :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm doing electrical engineering, so is my cousin. My cousin is doing the level 2 BTEC Diploma for two years and there's people in his class who had a D in maths GCSE. Not a bad course though :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:39 pm

CantonJack wrote:I'm doing electrical engineering, so is my cousin. My cousin is doing the level 2 BTEC Diploma for two years and there's people in his class who had a D in maths GCSE. Not a bad course though :ayatollah:

i knoow the feeckers wouldnt let me on

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:42 pm

TheTrueBlue7 wrote:
CantonJack wrote:I'm doing electrical engineering, so is my cousin. My cousin is doing the level 2 BTEC Diploma for two years and there's people in his class who had a D in maths GCSE. Not a bad course though :ayatollah:

Which college did you apply for? My cousin is in Crosskeys and he said the course filled up fast

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:44 pm

CantonJack wrote:
TheTrueBlue7 wrote:

Which college did you apply for? My cousin is in Crosskeys and he said the course filled up fast

cardiff and vale mate

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:21 pm

TheTrueBlue7 wrote:Anyone a aircraft engineer or know any, i'm re-siting my maths GCSE to gain a better grade so next year i can study this :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

RAF.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:26 pm

Come join the RAF, they will pay you decent money to learn your trade. Have a good few aircraft techie mates who love it.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:34 pm

that's what i wanted to do raimstein when i left school . Got my qualifications etc and passed all the theory and practical tests but failed my medical right at the end of the recruiting process :x

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:35 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:that's what i wanted to do raimstein when i left school . Got my qualifications etc and passed all the theory and practical tests but failed my medical right at the end of the recruiting process :x

I'm stuck on my medical. Everytime I give it to them, they send it back saying I'VE lost a page, they're fecking useless. The army not the RAF by the way.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:Come join the RAF, they will pay you decent money to learn your trade. Have a good few aircraft techie mates who love it.

not a bad idea but

MOZZER1 wrote:that's what i wanted to do raimstein when i left school . Got my qualifications etc and passed all the theory and practical tests but failed my medical right at the end of the recruiting process :x

look at going for commission.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Basically you can go 2 ways.
Apprenticeship- Can be done at GEAES (Nantgarw) BAMC British Airways (Rhoose)
College-Nantgarw do courses and barry ICAT (International Centre for Aerospace Training ) all do up to ONC's and HNC's

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:42 pm

dropebluebird wrote:Basically you can go 2 ways.
College-Nantgarw do courses and barry ICAT (International Centre for Aerospace Training ) all do up to ONC's and HNC's

Or the RAF. :D

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:22 pm

If its something that you can now pass on, go back and do it again

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:Come join the RAF, they will pay you decent money to learn your trade. Have a good few aircraft techie mates who love it.

not a bad idea but

well why not go in non com, and look to gain you commission once you are in and have the quals? Commissioned route takes alot longer. You also dont necessarily need the same quals to become commissioned once you are in.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:32 pm

I just finished 12 years in the RAF last year. I'm so glad I did it, great job, plenty of sporting opportunities, shit loads of time off each year, and good pay for the work you do. There are a couple of downsides like afghan etc. but you make the most of your time there. And now to top it off due to my qualifications and experience gain from the RAF I am able to live in Canada for the rest of my life, so it goes to show that once you do your time there's plenty of opportunities out there for you. :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

not a bad idea but

well why not go in non com, and look to gain you commission once you are in and have the quals? Commissioned route takes alot longer. You also dont necessarily need the same quals to become commissioned once you are in.

Not in my day.

Going from non to comm was very difficult. Nons were looked down on at Cramwell....the ones lucky to get there....and from my experience the nons that got commissioned turned out to be the biggest dickheads going.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

not a bad idea but

Not in my day.

Going from non to comm was very difficult. Nons were looked down on at Cramwell....the ones lucky to get there....and from my experience the nons that got commissioned turned out to be the biggest dickheads going.

Definitely agree that nons that get commissioned turn into absolute d#cks when back around there own.

Dont think they are as looked down upon these days. See more and more taking there commission, esp now the pension rules changed so you no longer get the a full amount for the rank you finished, but takes into account each year at each rank.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:37 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:
dropebluebird wrote:Basically you can go 2 ways.

Or the RAF. :D

Doesnt make much sense to me.They announce job cuts but then start recruiting for the same positions.how about they just keep everyone where they are ? I would another round of budget cuts soon though

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Barry college did a lot when I worked at BAMC,if not try any of the armed Forces or Airbus.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Ramsgateblue wrote:Barry college did a lot when I worked at BAMC,if not try any of the armed Forces or Airbus.

applying for airbus apprentice next month :D :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:38 pm

if i were in your shoes trueblue that's your best option

Airbus is the place to be in that area .

Ramstein i failed my hearing test and these days my hearing has gone worst so trying again is not worth it !

i;ll stick with my hearing aid ;)

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:56 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:if i were in your shoes trueblue that's your best option

Airbus is the place to be in that area .

Ramstein i failed my hearing test and these days my hearing has gone worst so trying again is not worth it !

i;ll stick with my hearing aid ;)

niceone mate would be grateful of any tips!