Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Top Class Welsh Striker

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:15 pm

One thing i have noticed over the last few years and now is that Wales dosent or hasn't had a top class striker since the likes of Ian rush or mark hughes...
I think bellamys best position is a winger so I wouldn't count him as a top class striker for Wales and closest we have had I'd say would be earnshaw but wouldn't class him as top class now or before like you could class our centre midfielders top class like Ramsay and Allen and our wingers with bale and Bellamy.
Surprised we haven't produced a top class welsh striker and is there an up and coming youngster who could be top class anyone know? Thoughts?

Re: Top Class Welsh Striker

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:17 pm

cakey-8t7 wrote:One thing i have noticed over the last few years and now is that Wales dosent or hasn't had a top class striker since the likes of Ian rush or mark hughes...
I think bellamys best position is a winger so I wouldn't count him as a top class striker for Wales and closest we have had I'd say would be earnshaw but wouldn't class him as top class now or before like you could class our centre midfielders top class like Ramsay and Allen and our wingers with bale and Bellamy.
Surprised we haven't produced a top class welsh striker and is there an up and coming youngster who could be top class anyone know? Thoughts?

agree,

a little disappointed with ched evans to be honest,stupid lad... really good season for sheff utd, good goal scorer and would def have been useful.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Badly need a striker.

Bale is our only World class player.

Allen is a top player, Bellamy too but days numbered.

Ramsey is a good player but not as good as us Cardiff fans make out.

Williams and Taylor are good PL players, Vaughan too but rest are made up of average championship players.

Seriously seriously lacking up front though.

i grew up with Rush, Hughes then Saunders so very frustrating.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
cakey-8t7 wrote:One thing i have noticed over the last few years and now is that Wales dosent or hasn't had a top class striker since the likes of Ian rush or mark hughes...

agree,

a little disappointed with ched evans to be honest,stupid lad... really good season for sheff utd, good goal scorer and would def have been useful.

f**k him the rapist filth

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:

agree,

f**k him the rapist filth
yep, had potential to be a good player...

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:13 pm

the rest of the team is pretty good, certainly good enough to be top 3 in this group.

we all know morison puts in a shift and gives 100% but he doesnt look international class.

as for youngsters coming through, i know he isnt a striker but robson kanu looked promising for me, with a poacher up front with a better touch we'd score more goals...... playing with ramsey in a 4-2-3-1 and we could be winning games like we did under speed.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 pm

Craig Davies should have been given a chance tonight

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:33 pm

I Bleed Blue wrote:Craig Davies should have been given a chance tonight

Not a bad shout. As good as Vokes and Morrison imo.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:
I Bleed Blue wrote:Craig Davies should have been given a chance tonight

Not a bad shout. As good as Vokes and Morrison imo.

Don't understand how Earnshaw got called up over Davies unless Davies said no to Coleman, he's okay at this level(Championship) it's a shame we haven't got a quality Welsh striker to choose from, if we could hold onto the ball better maybe we could stick Bellamy up front but nah.. we're not that good

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Mario Polotelli wrote:Badly need a striker.

Ramsey is a good player but not as good as us Cardiff fans make out.Williams and Taylor are good PL players, Vaughan too but rest are made up of average championship players.

Two seasons ago he was brilliant.....but sadly hasn't regained his form since his terrible injury.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:56 pm

moonboots wrote:

Ramsey is a good player but not as good as us Cardiff fans make out.Williams and Taylor are good PL players, Vaughan too but rest are made up of average championship players.

Two seasons ago he was brilliant.....but sadly hasn't regained his form since his terrible injury.

Two seasons ago he was on loan in the championship.

Nice player but not the world beater City fans make out.

Gives the ball away far too much to he classed as top class for me.

I know he got a bad injury and is still young so dont want to he too hash but for me just a good player not a top player.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:48 pm

The problem with Ramsey was that injury and the fact he isnt going to get much game time at Arsenal. If we go up I would conisder going back and getting him. I think there is alot more to come from Ramsey just needs to time to get back into the swing of things. Last season he played too many games in a short time and it burnt him out

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:01 am

When everyone is fit, this should be the first XI....

Hennessey: underrated and good enough for PL
Matthews: A more naturally gifted player than Gunter if you know what I mean. Regular for Celtic and now playing in the Champions League which can only help.
Blake: For some reason I have a lot of confidence in Darcy. Very good tonight.
Williams: Our best defender and consistent in PL.
Taylor: Absolute steal for the jacks from Wrexham and like Williams is a consistent PL player.
Allen: Top player and is Wales' most expensive player ever (apparently).
Ledley: Always been a massive fan of his and is now a Celtic favourite as well as a Champions League player. Not nailed on for a start though. Vaughan is a good alternative. And Jonathan Williams (Palace) looks like he will be a regular before long. Collison also in the mix. All PL quality (apart from Williams, but he's young and has big potential).
Ramsey: Captain and looked a lot better tonight (one or two sloppy passes, but he's the one who can set the ball rolling for us).
Bellamy: PL quality. Hopefully back for Scotland and Croatia.
Bale: Excellent as we all know. Played well tonight.
Morison: The only PL striker we have and was decent tonight. The only real problem position for us at the moment.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:57 am

Ramsey is a good player but not as good as us Cardiff fans make out.

Williams and Taylor are good PL players, Vaughan too but rest are made up of average championship players.

pol, you know how to evaluate talent. Spot on re Rambo.

Tho pre leg break the potential was there.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:11 am

Im ok with the grandparents rule

we should also apply it to benefits

if one of your parents or Grandparenst is British (Born here) then you get benefits otherwise you get Fuccckckckckckall

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:31 am

The trouble is we go with what we have to pick from weather it be a stiker or defender, so having to play championship players mixed in with the odd prem player who lets be fair are not on most clubs wish list bar bale and one or two others it will always be hard work vs bigger teams. Look at the smaller teams who have turned us over in the past, what can we do to get a better side, theres nothing we can do as we have little options unlike other nations but what we do have is younger players comming through so we can only hope they become top class like your bales/bellers in time. As for coleman as manager well we have gone back ten years :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:47 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:The trouble is we go with what we have to pick from weather it be a stiker or defender, so having to play championship players mixed in with the odd prem player who lets be fair are not on most clubs wish list bar bale and one or two others it will always be hard work vs bigger teams. Look at the smaller teams who have turned us over in the past, what can we do to get a better side, theres nothing we can do as we have little options unlike other nations but what we do have is younger players comming through so we can only hope they become top class like your bales/bellers in time. As for coleman as manager well we have gone back ten years :ayatollah:

The 'odd prem player'? There were 7 Premier League players in the starting XI last night, and for me Matthews is good enough for the PL, so that's eight. And what's being on clubs' wish lists got to do with it?

And if by your reckoning we have gone back 'ten years' with Coleman as manager, why are you so happy about it?

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Freddy Eastwood anyone? :lol:

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Craig Davies deserves a shout.