Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Nathan Cleverly fight @ Motorpoint 27th October....

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:04 pm

For anyone interested i will as usual be sorting out tickets (at face value!) for Clevs next fight at the Motorpoint arena,, Cardiff on Sat 27th October. They can also be bought at the Motorpoint box office, through Ticketmaster or Frank Warrens website.

Tickets are priced at £40, £50, £75, £100 and £150 Ringside and we'll have our batch early next week with a bit of luck,

Enzo Maccarinelli will be on the undercard against Ovill McKenzie and i'm pretty sure the likes of Liam Williams, Luke Robinson, Craig Evans, Lewis Rees etc will all be fighting to.

We'll also be potentially arranging a meet up on the day for a few pints in the afternoon as this proved successful last time around.

Also - As per the last time, we'll be doing an open day for fans to come and watch Nathan train and do a bit of sparring in the lead up to the fight. Hope to see some of you there.

I'll post any further details when they become available regarding the match ups, metting point etc. Hope to see a few of you there.

As always, just gimme a shout if i've missed anything! :ayatollah:

Re: Nathan Cleverly fight @ Motorpoint 27th October....

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Sounds ace. Defo intrested mate.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:17 pm

I thought Enzo Maccarinelli was banned :?

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:22 pm

jinks-rct wrote:I thought Enzo Maccarinelli was banned :?

Was just a 6 month ban

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Boxer.

Is Nathan staying with Warren for the foreseeable future?

Reason I ask is because I don't believe Warren is giving Nathan the attention he deserves, having
got closer ties you may disagree and I will bow to your knowledge but in my opinion Nathan is not
being handled very well and his fights are just not strong enough and he faces the prospect of becoming forgotten
about. People starting to lose interest, there is little excitement about this fight from what I see and here and people
are saying he's fighting another bum.

Shame really, whats your thoughts?

:ayatollah:

Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:07 pm

I think he is still learning his trade whilst being a world champ.

Unless Brits go to the states, they just arent rated outside of our shores. Stupid really as our fighters here sell out and fill some big venues. Shame top Americans won't travel to earn the money.

Don't think it's warrens fault. If he pays over the odds to get a big name in for clev, it's less in clevs pocket, so if he loses that fight he's done it for a lot less, so a risky situation. Plus I don't think matchroom could have done any better for clev. And no other Brit promotors are big enough for him.

If he gets a rep with a few big name wins, golden boy will be all over him as clev could be huge all over the world.

Does anyone else think light heavy and cruiser are just weak divisions at the moment? Don't think that helps clev either.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Cheers Chief i am defo going mate :ayatollah Will let you know how many tickets i need :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:40 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Boxer.

Reason I ask is because I don't believe Warren is giving Nathan the attention he deserves, having
got closer ties you may disagree and I will bow to your knowledge but in my opinion Nathan is not
being handled very well and his fights are just not strong enough and he faces the prospect of becoming forgotten
about. People starting to lose interest, there is little excitement about this fight from what I see and here and people

Its a difficult one because Clev is loyal to Warren (staying with him when Calzaghe etc left shows this) and I know how hard they have tried to land a name for the up coming fight. Big fights have been agreed in principle only to fall through and believe me, money is not the deciding factor in who Clev faces. He is willing to land a unification fight on a low purse knowing that the big fights will come. By the time he fights in October he'll have been out of the ring for 8 months which is craziness and so I'm just glad he's got something finally lined up.

Whilst Uzelkov isn't exactly a high profile name in terms of what everyone expected, he does represent a good solid test and floored one of Clevs main targets, Shumenov, when they fought before losing on points. He also holds a KO win over Campillo who got absolutely robbed when losing on points fighting for the IBF title to another one of Clevs main rivals, Tavoris Cloud. He is also a world bronze amateur medalist losing to David Haye in the semi final so he has good pedigree and Importantly, he is also ranked in the top 10 of the rankings for 3 of the 4 major governing bodies so hopefully a good solid win will boost Clevs profile.

I hope that goes some way to answering part of the question without understandabley going into too much private detail.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:

Was just a 6 month ban

I believe Enzos ban runs out in the middle of Oct so all being well this fight will go ahead without issue.

Anyone who has seem Ovill McKenzie fight knows Enzo will be up against it here.....

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:19 am

Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:

Was just a 6 month ban

I believe Enzos ban runs out in the middle of Oct so all being well this fight will go ahead without issue.

Anyone who has seem Ovill McKenzie fight knows Enzo will be up against it here.....

Definitely agree. I watched him put Bellew on the floor, shame he blew up in the rounds after and Bellew showed a bit to much for him.

Should be a decent fight. I think they have found there level fighting against each other. Loser to retire?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:37 am

Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:

Was just a 6 month ban

Definitely agree. I watched him put Bellew on the floor, shame he blew up in the rounds after and Bellew showed a bit to much for him.

Should be a decent fight. I think they have found there level fighting against each other. Loser to retire?

Ovill is a good standard of Commonwealth champion but its his power which worries me in regards to the Enzo fight. Ovill could do some serious damage here.....he KO'd Welshman Jeff Evans in about 30 seconds and then blew away seasoned pro Tony Dodson in a few rounds last time out. He's very crude and raw with one punch KO power......the exact opposite of who i beleiev Enzo should be fighting knowing he'll likely be pretty weak at the weight anyway. I genuinely worry for him going into this fight and thats from someone who has always supported Enzo previously.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:

Was just a 6 month ban

Ovill is a good standard of Commonwealth champion but its his power which worries me in regards to the Enzo fight. Ovill could do some serious damage here.....he KO'd Welshman Jeff Evans in about 30 seconds and then blew away seasoned pro Tony Dodson in a few rounds last time out. He's very crude and raw with one punch KO power......the exact opposite of who i beleiev Enzo should be fighting knowing he'll likely be pretty weak at the weight anyway. I genuinely worry for him going into this fight and thats from someone who has always supported Enzo previously.

Never saw the Jeff Evans fight, but not impressed with evans.

I too have always supported Enzo and worry about him going into every fight these days. He never just suffers a normal stoppage against him, he gets KO'd in horrible style for him. Take far to much punishment. Agree that its the wrong weigth for him too

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:34 pm

would really enjoy watching clev in an open training session :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:

Was just a 6 month ban

Never saw the Jeff Evans fight, but not impressed with evans.

I too have always supported Enzo and worry about him going into every fight these days. He never just suffers a normal stoppage against him, he gets KO'd in horrible style for him. Take far to much punishment. Agree that its the wrong weigth for him too

And there lies the issue..... McKenzie is a huge puncher for the weight anyway....throw Enzo into the equation who i believe will struggle to make the weight anyway and theres an accident waiting to happen.

Cue Enzo boxing at range to a wide unanimous decision then ha ha :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:57 pm

englishbluebird wrote:would really enjoy watching clev in an open training session :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Its on the cards and if you check my previous post history you will see i created a thread for the last one which surprisingly had little interest in terms of comments but the place was pretty busy given the relatively low publicity it was given. Hopefully be bigger and better this time :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:37 pm

And there lies the issue..... McKenzie is a huge puncher for the weight anyway....throw Enzo into the equation who i believe will struggle to make the weight anyway and theres an accident waiting to happen.

Cue Enzo boxing at range to a wide unanimous decision then ha ha :ayatollah:[/quote]

Haha, well he still does have a punch on him. Just wonder what hes losing in the day or two prior to weigh in. Is he going into the weigh in after spending a good few days prior to weigh in doing sauna sweats and not eating or drinking much.

Who is training him now? Is he still up north with karl Ince or did he come back down here with Gary Lockett?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:Haha, well he still does have a punch on him. Just wonder what hes losing in the day or two prior to weigh in. Is he going into the weigh in after spending a good few days prior to weigh in doing sauna sweats and not eating or drinking much.

Who is training him now? Is he still up north with karl Ince or did he come back down here with Gary Lockett?

As far as i know he's now with Lockett :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:Haha, well he still does have a punch on him. Just wonder what hes losing in the day or two prior to weigh in. Is he going into the weigh in after spending a good few days prior to weigh in doing sauna sweats and not eating or drinking much.

As far as i know he's now with Lockett :ayatollah:

Like the look as Lockett as a trainer. Was a very good fighter himself. Definitely dont think his guys cut corners in the training camp

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Can't see anything other than Enzo being on the receiving end of a brutal KO, even if he boxed McKenzie's ears off for 11 rounds, you just know one punch could put him away.

Hopefully Clevely's opponent comes to fight this time, that Karpency geezer was in survival mode from the off and it was a horrible fight.

Clev needs to really step up the quality of his opponents if he wants to earn respect, he is the definition of a paper champ.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:10 pm

loosecannon wrote:Clev needs to really step up the quality of his opponents if he wants to earn respect, he is the definition of a paper champ.

Appreciate thats how it seems to the public but believe me, nobody is more frustrated at not being able to land a big fight than Nathan. Big offers have been made to big names and none have come to fruition (word of the day!) hence why he has been out of the ring for almost 8 months trying to land a big fight.

I'm also sure you appreciate that Nathan doesnt pick his opponents as your post seems to suggest. Nathan will fight anyone, i know thats a cliche, but those that know Clev know this to be true.

Anyway, how many tickets am i putting you down for? ;) :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Boxer1 wrote:
loosecannon wrote:Clev needs to really step up the quality of his opponents if he wants to earn respect, he is the definition of a paper champ.

Appreciate thats how it seems to the public but believe me, nobody is more frustrated at not being able to land a big fight than Nathan. Big offers have been made to big names and none have come to fruition (word of the day!) hence why he has been out of the ring for almost 8 months trying to land a big fight.

I'm also sure you appreciate that Nathan doesnt pick his opponents as your post seems to suggest. Nathan will fight anyone, i know thats a cliche, but those that know Clev know this to be true.

Anyway, how many tickets am i putting you down for? ;) :ayatollah:

It's pretty obvious Frank Warren cherry picks his opponents. Think he is rather economical with the truth with regards to these offers he makes to the big names, obviously you know more about this than I. There was some interesting quotes by Bernard Hopkins on Twitter in the week, basically saying he'd be up for facing Clev after October.

Hopkins is a bit of lose-lose for Clev though, if he loses, people will say he's a hype job; if he wins, people will say Hopkins is past it. Hopkins would make it a horrible fight to watch as well.

Went to the last fight, so won't be attending this, thought the undercard was pretty poor last time out. Just my opinion of course. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:25 am

loosecannon wrote:Went to the last fight, so won't be attending this, thought the undercard was pretty poor last time out. Just my opinion of course. :ayatollah:

I think FW knew the fight was going to sell well regardless last time so didnt invest much on the undercard. Glad to see the local boxers being given a good stage like the Motorpoint to showcase their skills on.

I wouldn't mind the likes of Frankie Gavin and Liam Smith on the undercard again though, both excellent boxers. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:49 am

Boxer1 wrote:
loosecannon wrote:Went to the last fight, so won't be attending this, thought the undercard was pretty poor last time out. Just my opinion of course. :ayatollah:

I think FW knew the fight was going to sell well regardless last time so didnt invest much on the undercard. Glad to see the local boxers being given a good stage like the Motorpoint to showcase their skills on.

I wouldn't mind the likes of Frankie Gavin and Liam Smith on the undercard again though, both excellent boxers. :ayatollah:

Is frankie gavin going to train and live like a pro now? Hope he doesn't blow his talent.

Billy Jo would be a great undercard fighter for me with clev. Like the look of Liam smith and all his brothers. But agree FW knew it would sell with a fairground undercard and we all know he is runs his cards like a business.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:

Is frankie gavin going to train and live like a pro now? Hope he doesn't blow his talent.

Billy Jo would be a great undercard fighter for me with clev. Like the look of Liam smith and all his brothers. But agree FW knew it would sell with a fairground undercard and we all know he is runs his cards like a business.

Frankie Gavin is fighting Junior Witter for his British title i'm led to believe and all being well should be announced in the next week or so. His heads back on it and that is a scary prospect. He's an exceptional boxer with ridiculous skill when fully focused. If he fights Witter i'll be betting on the stoppage because they'll offer good odds and Gavin is bang up for it.

Billy Joe is defending his Commonwealth title on Friday @ York Hall against a very tough Aussie so he defo wont be on Clev undercard. Not many poeple giving Fletcher a chance but he's undefeated and won the Commonwealth Gold medal beating DeGale on the way. Could be a shock on the cards......

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:

Frankie Gavin is fighting Junior Witter for his British title i'm led to believe and all being well should be announced in the next week or so. His heads back on it and that is a scary prospect. He's an exceptional boxer with ridiculous skill when fully focused. If he fights Witter i'll be betting on the stoppage because they'll offer good odds and Gavin is bang up for it.

Billy Joe is defending his Commonwealth title on Friday @ York Hall against a very tough Aussie so he defo wont be on Clev undercard. Not many poeple giving Fletcher a chance but he's undefeated and won the Commonwealth Gold medal beating DeGale on the way. Could be a shock on the cards......

Agree Frankie Gavin could be a superstar. Like the look of Billy Joe. I know Bradly Pryce is just a journeyman these days, but Billy Joe wiped the floor with him.

Witter has had his day. Was a good fighter a few years back, but i shall be having a few quid on Gavin.

Off topic. Eubank Jnr has apparently taken Degale apart sparring in the last few days. Bad enough that Degales not sparring him again.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:

Agree Frankie Gavin could be a superstar. Like the look of Billy Joe. I know Bradly Pryce is just a journeyman these days, but Billy Joe wiped the floor with him.

Witter has had his day. Was a good fighter a few years back, but i shall be having a few quid on Gavin.

Off topic. Eubank Jnr has apparently taken Degale apart sparring in the last few days. Bad enough that Degales not sparring him again.

i wouldnt call bradley a journeyman at the moment hes had a few tough fights as of late noteably his lose to eurp champ rabchenko who recently ko'd ryan rhodes, should of done better against colin loynes but loynes surprised a few by beating lee purdy so that wasnt an easy fight hes had good wins lately against ted bami and lomax but he was outclassed by a brilliant young fighter in saunders, a good run and pryce is right in the mix but his best days are way gone but wouldnt say a journyman :ayatollah:

i have also heard about eubank jr rumour but also heard was all over eubank sr hyping jr up sayin u won u smashed degale and it apprently made degale mad since he was taking it easy and not going full plet and eubank jr supposed to have an even bigger ego than degale (if thats even possible) but its all just rumours most probs not much truth in them :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 pm

citybluechris wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:
Ramstein blue wrote:
Boxer1 wrote:

i wouldnt call bradley a journeyman at the moment hes had a few tough fights as of late noteably his lose to eurp champ rabchenko who recently ko'd ryan rhodes, should of done better against colin loynes but loynes surprised a few by beating lee purdy so that wasnt an easy fight hes had good wins lately against ted bami and lomax but he was outclassed by a brilliant young fighter in saunders, a good run and pryce is right in the mix but his best days are way gone but wouldnt say a journyman :ayatollah:

i have also heard about eubank jr rumour but also heard was all over eubank sr hyping jr up sayin u won u smashed degale and it apprently made degale mad since he was taking it easy and not going full plet and eubank jr supposed to have an even bigger ego than degale (if thats even possible) but its all just rumours most probs not much truth in them :ayatollah:

Having lost 11 fights he should call it a day now.

I think Eubank jnr has got the lot. I hope he keeps the attitude, and goes along the prince naz route.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Boxer1 wrote:
MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Boxer.

Its a difficult one because Clev is loyal to Warren (staying with him when Calzaghe etc left shows this) and I know how hard they have tried to land a name for the up coming fight. Big fights have been agreed in principle only to fall through and believe me, money is not the deciding factor in who Clev faces. He is willing to land a unification fight on a low purse knowing that the big fights will come. By the time he fights in October he'll have been out of the ring for 8 months which is craziness and so I'm just glad he's got something finally lined up.

Whilst Uzelkov isn't exactly a high profile name in terms of what everyone expected, he does represent a good solid test and floored one of Clevs main targets, Shumenov, when they fought before losing on points. He also holds a KO win over Campillo who got absolutely robbed when losing on points fighting for the IBF title to another one of Clevs main rivals, Tavoris Cloud. He is also a world bronze amateur medalist losing to David Haye in the semi final so he has good pedigree and Importantly, he is also ranked in the top 10 of the rankings for 3 of the 4 major governing bodies so hopefully a good solid win will boost Clevs profile.

I hope that goes some way to answering part of the question without understandabley going into too much private detail.

Thanks for the reply mate, understand the situation, wont be making this fight but will be cheering Clev on from my sofa and hope he does the business.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:48 pm

citybluechris wrote:

I've heard quite a few version of events and none of them involved Degale being battered :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Tickets should be with us by weekend :ayatollah: :ayatollah: