Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEW signing Nicky Maynard has promised to fire Cardiff City

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:59 am

Nicky Maynard aiming to hit the goal standard at Cardiff
by Phil Blanche, Wales On SundaySep 2 2012

NEW signing Nicky Maynard has promised to fire Cardiff City into the Premier League.

Maynard beat the transfer deadline late on Friday night to complete a £2.75m move from West Ham – the deal rushed through after England striker Andy Carroll joined the Hammers on a season-long loan from Liverpool.

The 25-year-old was the subject of strong interest from Cardiff before he joined West Ham from Bristol City in January.

And he has pledged to make the most of his second chance at Cardiff, starting against Wolves today where Bluebirds boss Malky Mackay will be tempted to throw him straight into first-team action.

“I hope that I can help by scoring goals for Cardiff this season, with the aim to get the club to the Premier League,” Maynard said after signing a three-year deal.

“I moved to West Ham with the hope of playing in the Premier League regularly, but that wasn’t to be.

“Knowing that my chances would be limited there at Upton Park, it was down to me to find a club where I knew I’d be happy to play.

“It’s my aim to play week in week out, and if I’m scoring goals I’m happy, which I’ll enjoy doing in a Cardiff shirt. They didn’t see too much of me at West Ham, which can happen in football.”

Cheshire-born Maynard made his name at Crewe after emerging through the club’s famous academy, scoring 35 goals in 67 appearances for the Railwaymen.

Maynard continued that fine form at Bristol City, scoring 46 goals in 131 games, but struggled to make an impact at West Ham.

But he said: “I’m used to playing in this division and know there’s no such thing as an easy game.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z25IjBoRUO

Re: NEW signing Nicky Maynard has promised to fire Cardiff City

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:55 am

I remember him all those years ago at Ninian Park when he used to play for Crewe! I always used to stand there on the terraces in awe at him thinking I'd love to get a player like him at City! Now with all his experience and STILL at a young age really, we have him and he's still to hit his prime in my opinion.

Really pleased Malky was able to finally seal his NUMBER ONE summer target. :ayatollah: