Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Swansea & Cardiff Spend £26M (or did they?)

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:46 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... 1743679/2/

Wales Online reporting that Cardiff and Swansea spent £26M in this transfer window with Swansea spending the bulk of it at £16M. However, they also sold £21M worth of players, so made a net gain of £5M. THAT is what Prem football does for you.

Swansea sell two players for massive prices and are able to revamp their squad AND make £5M. It seems more expensive just trying to get out of the Championship.

Swansea in the Prem get to spend nothing and bring in nearly a team of players and we need to spend £10M to do the same.

Re: Swansea & Cardiff Spend £26M (or did they?)

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:03 pm

Wayne S wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2012/09/01/welsh-football-s-remarkable-26m-summer-meet-the-new-players-91466-31743679/2/

Wales Online reporting that Cardiff and Swansea spent £26M in this transfer window with Swansea spending the bulk of it at £16M. However, they also sold £21M worth of players, so made a net gain of £5M. THAT is what Prem football does for you.

Swansea sell two players for massive prices and are able to revamp their squad AND make £5M. It seems more expensive just trying to get out of the Championship.

Swansea in the Prem get to spend nothing and bring in nearly a team of players and we need to spend £10M to do the same.

what you havnt put into equasion is wages, bet they made loss on deals because of higher wages

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:06 pm

also we bought proven quality, while swans may have bought good players but unproven yet in premier!! may come back to bite them in ass later in season!!! :D

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:55 pm

pembroke allan wrote:also we bought proven quality, while swans may have bought good players but unproven yet in premier!! may come back to bite them in ass later in season!!! :D

Fingers crossed :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:57 pm

pembroke allan wrote:also we bought proven quality, while swans may have bought good players but unproven yet in premier!! may come back to bite them in ass later in season!!! :D

Fingers crossed :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Some truth in this though. Once a player has a season in the the prem their value escalates. Joe Allen would have been worth say 3 or 4m a year or two ago, one season later and it's 15m. Fletcher 12m, jarvis 10m?! Mind you I think that the price for Allen was distorted by Brenda as no other team would have paid that for him. Sinclair is great business for them, never worth that price and only man city would pay it.
As for us, if we get there then players like mason could be worth 4or5 times what we would get for him now. But of course the key to all this is they have to perform.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:15 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
what you havnt put into equasion is wages, bet they made loss on deals because of higher wages

Any ides on what sort of wages Swansea are paying to new players?

I'm assuming Sinclair and Allen have had massive wage hikes now they left. Are Swansea having to pay the going rate for a mid table prem side or can they get away with lesser wages by choosing players just happy to be in the Premier League.

Would be interesting to know if Bellamy is the highest paid player in South Wales.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Wayne S wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/football-news/2012/09/01/welsh-football-s-remarkable-26m-summer-meet-the-new-players-91466-31743679/2/

I bet bet Swansea's cost of getting there is minuscule in comparison to what we've spent over the years, its all about coaching.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:07 pm

was refering to now not years ago! :D

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:28 pm

But when was the last player they bought that was Pants Mate ? And i bet there wage structure ain't much above ours. Hugh Jenkins has to be one of the best Chairman's in Football. I wish we had one as savvy TBF.
I was in Cwmbran this afternoon and i was checking my phone and i saw the Jacks were one down. You should of seen everyone looking at me as i jumped up punching the air shouting YESSS :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

But when was the last player they bought that was Pants Mate ? And i bet there wage structure ain't much above ours. Hugh Jenkins has to be one of the best Chairman's in Football. I wish we had one as savvy TBF.
I was in Cwmbran this afternoon and i was checking my phone and i saw the Jacks were one down. You should of seen everyone looking at me as i jumped up punching the air shouting YESSS :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

I had a few funny looks in golf club bar when i was told it was 1-2 and said a few choice words. Mumbled an apology about the bar steward.......

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:38 pm

I see Joe Allen got a 200% pay rise when he joined Liverpool, so he was on £15k at Swansea. Scott Sinclair took a 250k a year pay cut when he left Chelsea.

They seem set for life, nearly. There are massive financial gains in the prem for Swansea. They got there and remain there with lower wages than most and continually recoup money from sales. If we make it, it seems we will already have a massive wage bill, probably bigger than swansea's now.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

I had a few funny looks in golf club bar when i was told it was 1-2 and said a few choice words. Mumbled an apology about the bar steward.......

cant argue about players but i think you will find they are not so well off as it appears dont know any club in premier that ends up in debt as costs rise with staying in premier, if dont speculate get left behind take stoke as example stayed 2yrs then went out bought quality like crouch and gone next level but it doesnt come cheap, HJ and others are laughing all way to bank as they get good bonuses for profit made ! hence not going over board with players! will it came back to bite them time will tell but history says it will!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:49 pm

But are they in any debt. The money they recieved staying in the Prem must be massive.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Not 100% certain if this is true but a friend who used to work for an agent (Mel Eves) told me that when a player is sold having asked for a transfer they are not entitled to a pay off from their club. If a player does not ask to leave and they are sold then the club has to pay off the contract/agree a settlement. If this is true then Sinclair and Allen may have been entitled to a reasonable pay off (unless a bumper new contract at new club made them waver the pay off)

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Not 100% certain if this is true but a friend who used to work for an agent (Mel Eves) told me that when a player is sold having asked for a transfer they are not entitled to a pay off from their club. If a player does not ask to leave and they are sold then the club has to pay off the contract/agree a settlement. If this is true then Sinclair and Allen may have been entitled to a reasonable pay off (unless a bumper new contract at new club made them waver the pay off)

But they asked for the move so will be entitled to sweet FA Chief :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

A player doesn't get the signing on fee up front, he gets a percentage of the fee when he signs and a percentage is spread over the length of the contract and what's left over is paid up when he completes his contract. So a players weekly wage includes some of the signing on fee. If he is sold during the contract without asking for a move then he gets the balance paid up.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

I thought Allen had clause and Sinclair said no to a new deal. Would have thought that the fat new contracts would mean that they wavered anything owed to them. Hopefully they screwed the bastards for everything ;)

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

I don't think either player put in a official transfer request especially in Sinclair's case he just refused the new offer Swansea put to him.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:But are they in any debt. The money they recieved staying in the Prem must be massive.

last season got 46mil? but take out wages/ bonuses staff/board/owner and other expences dont leave much i bet same this year, but garauntee costs gone up so less over again! next season is big one as monies is raised by about 15mil per team minimum! hence we need to be there or gap will be huge, as it is we got 18 clubs x premier in champs about 8 have parachute pay of some kind! :D

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:But are they in any debt. The money they recieved staying in the Prem must be massive.

last season got 46mil? but take out wages/ bonuses staff/board/owner and other expences dont leave much i bet same this year, but garauntee costs gone up so less over again! next season is big one as monies is raised by about 15mil per team minimum! hence we need to be there or gap will be huge, as it is we got 18 clubs x premier in champs about 8 have parachute pay of some kind! :D

So how the fook are WE going to clear our debts by going in the Prem mate ?

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:20 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

really what i am saying is being a sinic football club owners/chairman only in it for the money that is fact! man utd is classic example, swansea & cities owners are no exseption, hence swans careful aproach to spending i believe whilst they are ahead of game at moment it wont last financially :D

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

We wont only our owners can do that with the debt to equity swap if and when it happens. I think only Man City are the only club not in debt because there owners don't saddle the club with the money they put in, also a world record £400m sponsorship deal on the naming rights from your own company helps.

Ecosway stadium anyone :?:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

well up to now no club as been relegated from premier and been in profit so that should tell you its not all rosey financially in premier!

fck knows but sure tans got a plan! why else would he be doing what he is doing? seriously sure he as got something planned if we get there! (other investors maybe) that wil split costs ect,

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:42 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

really what i am saying is being a sinic football club owners/chairman only in it for the money that is fact! man utd is classic example, swansea & cities owners are no exseption, hence swans careful aproach to spending i believe whilst they are ahead of game at moment it wont last financially :D

I know you are a bit thick cardifflad69 but the people running our club are doing a fantastic job with our finances they are all supporters of the club who want the best for Swansea City, this season we let rodgers and co go along with allen and sinclair and got nearly £30 million for them which has funded our transfers in this window, sky money is in the bank earning interest :mrgreen:

btw invest in a dictionary ffs

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 pm

BadaBing wrote:

Join in by all means. This is a pretty Swansea positive post so why the petty attack?

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Wayne S wrote:
BadaBing wrote:

Join in by all means. This is a pretty Swansea positive post so why the petty attack?

Dont mention PETTY !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:49 pm

BadaBing wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

p
I know you are a bit thick cardifflad69 but the people running our club are doing a fantastic job with our finances they are all supporters of the club who want the best for Swansea City, this season we let rodgers and co go along with allen and sinclair and got nearly £30 million for them which has funded our transfers in this window, sky money is in the bank earning interest :mrgreen:

ffs pisss off this is a debate between city fans dont want or require you input!! :lol:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:57 pm

How long can they remain in the Premier League when they don't fulfill the criteria?
They don't have an academy or a team in the new League set up for u18 or is it u21 players.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:59 pm

PencoedBlue wrote:How long can they remain in the Premier League when they don't fulfill the criteria?
They don't have an academy or a team in the new League set up for u18 or is it u21 players.

they hope to do it on the cheap! but dont tell them that they think they are so fcking great nothing can touch them!!! :lol: