Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We will still struggle until January

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 pm

Great signings but unfortunately we have still failed to strengthen the one area of the team that has let us down for the past 5 seasons - our defence. Connolly and Keinan are our only cover and if we get a couple of defenders injured, you watch our results plummet. We only had Turner missing against Bristol City and look what happened there? We will outscore teams more often than not, but we will have some indifferent results and performances, I will be delighted if we are around the playoff positions by January. I think Malky has made a huge mistake letting so many defenders go and not replacing them, luckily there is another transfer window in January, we will just have to do our best until then and hopefully if we are still in a position to challenge, Malky will be able to get a few more defenders in which will really give us a squad good enough to win this division.
Last edited by Tonteg Bluebird on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: We will still struggle until January

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 pm

loan window opens tomorrow, chill!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Great signings but unfortunately we have still failed to strengthen the one area of the team that has let us down for the past 5 seasons - our defence. Connolly and Keinan are our only cover and if we get a couple of defenders injured, you watch our results plummet. We only had Turner missing against Bristol City and look what happened there? We will outscore teams more often than not, but we will have some indifferent results and performances, I will be delighted if we are around the playoff positions by January. I think Malky has made a huge mistake letting so many defenders go and not replacing them, luckily there is another transfer window in January, we will just have to do our best until then and hopefully if we are still in a position to challenge, Malky will be able to get a few more defenders in which will really give us a squad good enough to win this division.

Yes, there will be this opinion doing the rounds but I get the feeling maybe our defence is going to be watching the game a lot more than actually participating in it.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 pm

malky will surely bring in at least one defender in the loan window
id rather him do that than panic buy someone just for the sake of it,we need to wrap big ben turner in cotton wool mind,our defence looked woeful without him on saturday

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:45 pm

according to carl and citygent a defender already lined up on loan when loan window opens

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:45 pm

well its a team game, the midfield must go with the flow. forward and back. have we got that?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:48 pm

I agree we are too light in defence. We have made good signings but it is how they gel as a unit that matters. Time will tell but I don't necessarily think this squad is that much better than the team beaten in the play off final two years ago. I still think our owners are idiots for re-branding the team before getting promotion as it has added unnecessary pressure to this season. I still think we'll struggle on sunday even though I am delighted with the Maynard transfer tonight.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Sorry lads I didn't mean to put a dampener on things so soon after the Maynard signing, I'm just giving my opinion. I appreciate the loan window will be open, but my problem is I believe we will perform best with a settled defence, so unless we bring someone in on a season long loan or a 6 month long loan, I don't really see the benefit of signing a couple of defenders on loan as our defence will constantly be chopping and changing which could do more harm than good.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Take the last Game out and we had two clean sheets?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Einstein wrote:Take the last Game out and we had two clean sheets?

Yes, with a full strength defence, although Marshall made a series of impressive saves during those 2 clean sheets. One game without our full strength defence with one defender injured and we concede 4 goals, that's my worry, not enough defensive cover.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Great signings but unfortunately we have still failed to strengthen the one area of the team that has let us down for the past 5 seasons - our defence. Connolly and Keinan are our only cover and if we get a couple of defenders injured, you watch our results plummet. We only had Turner missing against Bristol City and look what happened there? We will outscore teams more often than not, but we will have some indifferent results and performances, I will be delighted if we are around the playoff positions by January. I think Malky has made a huge mistake letting so many defenders go and not replacing them, luckily there is another transfer window in January, we will just have to do our best until then and hopefully if we are still in a position to challenge, Malky will be able to get a few more defenders in which will really give us a squad good enough to win this division.

FFS! Can't we just enjoy our topclass signing for 5 minutes :x

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:53 pm

It's not just about the defence it's the way the whole team works to get the ball back. Sort our midfield out and we will be a lot tighter at the back

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:58 pm

Tonteg i agree with you,in fact i believe our negative tactics and formation is solely to protect our dodgy defence.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:02 pm

Blue Steel wrote:Tonteg i agree with you,in fact i believe our negative tactics and formation is solely to protect our dodgy defence.

Just when the board nearly tipped the scales into the positive side......there's always someone to piss on your chips!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:05 pm

enjoy it lads....we let 4 terrible goals in without Turner, before that we had 2 clean sheets....its quite a settled defence and not as bad as fans make out...Connolly will improve it in time

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:07 pm

I agree Corky.

Let's play the old Keegan way :lol:

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:10 pm

I think Tonteg is right. There is a lot of new players that have to gel and rotation will be important - unless you are Don Cowie of course... Seriously though, there are some good sides in this divison now, but we should be in the mix come January and then we can really kick on and push for an auto spot at the back end of the season. We have to be patient but as long as Malky plays a positive formation, we must be in with a really good shout this season.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:10 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I agree Corky.

Let's play the old Keegan way :lol:

Oh yes please

Rather lose 3-4 than draw 0-0

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:58 pm

Don't forget when Connolly played on Saturday he had only been training with us for 2 days. Give him a couple of weeks atleast! And he didn't really get a pre-season with QPR as he wasn't needed

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:04 pm

if they score 3 we will score 4... more entertaining that way anyway :lol:

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:09 pm

and we got pasted by huddersfield some woeful defending marshall won us a point,

again at brighton fortunate moments

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:55 am

Carpe Diem wrote:It's not just about the defence it's the way the whole team works to get the ball back. Sort our midfield out and we will be a lot tighter at the back

Good post. A lot of people don't realise that you defend as a team.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:35 am

"we will struggle until january"

The defence isnt that bad. We got to the play-offs last season.
It needs to be tightened up, agreed. But STRUGGLE?????

The rest of this division are looking towards Cardiff and swallowing
hard, we are going to be a formidable outfit. Malky will get another
defender in. We will not struggle. We will soar!!!

Could we possibly have any more negative supporters?

Surely we should enter the "negative supporters of the year" awards

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:38 am

taffyapple wrote:"we will struggle until january"

My thoughts too.

Damn if we struggled til January with this squad we'd be in a relegation battle before we knew it and Malky would be working over McDonalds!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:40 am

Merlin wrote:

My thoughts too.

Damn if we struggled til January with this squad we'd be in a relegation battle before we knew it and Malky would be working over McDonalds!

Madness some of the posts on here.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:41 am

taffyapple wrote:
Merlin wrote:

My thoughts too.

Madness some of the posts on here.

No matter what Malky does. Someone is dying, just dying to say...

Yeh BUT.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:42 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Sorry lads I didn't mean to put a dampener on things so soon after the Maynard signing, I'm just giving my opinion. I appreciate the loan window will be open, but my problem is I believe we will perform best with a settled defence, so unless we bring someone in on a season long loan or a 6 month long loan, I don't really see the benefit of signing a couple of defenders on loan as our defence will constantly be chopping and changing which could do more harm than good.

Its ok join the rest of the doom and gloom merchjants

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:04 am

Sorry - I don't see it as negative. Just looking at the facts. There is no doubt that we will be a formidable outfit but the evidence suggests that it is going to take time and we will have to be patient - look at Reading last year, they were bottom half until January. Kim and Etien don't speak much, if any, English and we can't expect too much from them straight away. Malky has to find a sysytem that allows these fantastic signings to be able to play and that may not be straight forward either. The way I see it is that is the point Tonteg was making rather than suggesting we weren't good enough.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:08 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:

Yes, with a full strength defence, although Marshall made a series of impressive saves during those 2 clean sheets. One game without our full strength defence with one defender injured and we concede 4 goals, that's my worry, not enough defensive cover.

One bad day at the office, a new defender making his debut, we won't defend as badly as that again. Malky is h
Getting at least one loan defender, that is common knowledge, now is the time to be positive, and get behind the team, we have a fantastic squad. :ayatollah:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:10 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:

Sorry - I don't see it as negative. Just looking at the facts. There is no doubt that we will be a formidable outfit but the evidence suggests that it is going to take time and we will have to be patient - look at Reading last year, they were bottom half until January. Kim and Etien don't speak much, if any, English and we can't expect too much from them straight away. Malky has to find a sysytem that allows these fantastic signings to be able to play and that may not be straight forward either. The way I see it is that is the point Tonteg was making rather than suggesting we weren't good enough.

So you agree we're going to struggle til January?