Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Will the size of our squad help us or hinder us ?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:33 pm

[list=][/list]
Any true football pro will want to be playing regular footie and I can see a few getting unsettled just keeping the bench warm. It will also take time for the players to settle in and gel but does Malky have this time luxury ? I think not.
We will only see the benefits of good squad providing the players are managed correctly and that will be no easy feat.
Exciting times ... Yes ,but have we created a monster ?

Re: Will the size of our squad help us or hinder us ?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:36 pm

No it will help us. We've constantly moaned about having a small squad well now we dont. Its only defence that im worried about

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:39 pm

Malky got his work cut out! I just hope mason gets his chance. For me, he is the key to promotion. Great to finally have strength in depth but malky has got to use his full squad, make subs at the right times, drop players like whitts etc when they need a rest. No good having a strong squad if malky only sticks with his favourites! The odds are in our favour now! Only malky can fuk it up.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Surely any woman will tell you it is size thats matters. and what you do with that size that holds the key ;)

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:55 pm

A bigger squad this time around should benefit us. Malky resting certain players at the right time will be important this season, If we dont get many injuries I think we can have a good go :D

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:03 pm

The bigger the squad the better. It's a marathon not a sprint etc.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:35 pm

We have been punished for our lack of depth in recent years -
Etuhu on for Bothroyd in the play off final
5 players out against Reading year before last, replaced with loan signing shitkickers
Whitts playing every game last season and clearly knackers by March....

Help not hinder!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:19 pm

Dicey wrote:[list=][/list]
Any true football pro will want to be playing regular footie and I can see a few getting unsettled just keeping the bench warm. It will also take time for the players to settle in and gel but does Malky have this time luxury ? I think not.
We will only see the benefits of good squad providing the players are managed correctly and that will be no easy feat.

The mind boggles sometimes :banghead:

for years we have bemoaned the fact that managers have not had big enough
squads, and that by christmas a lot of our players start to look jaded. So now
we look to be one of the best squads in the division.....

We get a thread about it being bad news :?

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:26 pm

The players Know this season they have to play well to keep their places, that what a competitive squad gives you no easy rides as a player

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:41 pm

taffyapple wrote:

exactly the reply i was about to type!

Some people are just unbelievable!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:03 pm

Look at Southampton last year they had a big squad and rotated their players to keep them fresh. How did they finish? It's a long season and games come thick and fast and with little rest in between so help is my answer

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:47 am

taffyapple wrote:

Who said it was bad news ? Simply playing devils advocate . By the way didn't Man city go through a few managers and about 200 million before winning the league .