Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ROBIN FRIDAY-2 CRACKERS!!

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:43 am

They say he's the greatest player you never saw!!! well some of us were fortunate(myself included)to watch him play.I remember city playing brighton away and we were 4-0 down with about 10 mins to go when he came on as sub,2 minutes later he was sent off 4 head butting alan young(brighton centre half).another incident was when we went into the cornwall pub b4 a saturday afternoon game!as we opened the door,out came robin friday(about 2 hours b4 k/o)landlord said he had 2 pints!!he played that game and scored-what a nut job he was(brilliant tho).

Re: ROBIN FRIDAY-2 CRACKERS!!

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:49 am

Was there when he made his debut, v Fulham, on New years day 01/01/1977. Scored two goals, the guy was on fire.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:40 pm

I was recently on the P&O ship "Oceana" sailing down to the Canaries. On board was Alan Mullery and on one of the days he did a lecture about his career and allowed a Q&A session.

During the lecture he talked about several great players and, within the Q&A session, I said I was from Cardiff and invited his comments about Robin Friday and how great he could have been.

Clearly he had issues with him as he was the manager when Mark Lawrenson decided to dive so low that his face came into contact with Robin Fridays boot. Total accident, of course, but not the way Alun Mullery saw it.

He said "Yes he had the capability but, like any young player, other things distract them. Who knows how good he could have been". I responded by suggesting that the guy was a genious.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:04 pm

When thay make the film. I think Bradley Wiggins should play him, As he likes football, drinks, got the sideburns already.