Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Our current defence

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Our current defence is not good enough, with all these new attacking signings, which really excite me, will get us goals for sure. We have pace, youth, brawn, experience and fluidity up top. But just like in Jonesys final season, I feel the defence will concede in Ashton gate fashion more often than automatic promotion will allow. Desparately needs strengthening at both full backs and central defence. Otherwise there will be more Peterborough 4-4 style games. However, I am probably not giving Connolly the benefit of the doubt I just know nothing of him tbf!!! Hope he proves to be MM's best signing, and proves me wrong. :ayatollah:

Re: Our current defence

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Most of us feel the same regarding our defence, and i am certain MM knows what he is doing :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 pm

ayahtolla wrote:Most of us feel the same regarding our defence, and i am certain MM knows what he is doing :ayatollah:

Really? :?

We need cover, not drastic improvements.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:25 pm

The defence was pretty solid last year, I reckon malky believes if we sort out midfield and attack we will be up there but I don't think he has sorted out the strikers and think we were quite lucky our defence stayed fit as much as they did last year.

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
ayahtolla wrote:Most of us feel the same regarding our defence, and i am certain MM knows what he is doing :ayatollah:

We need drastic improvements from the current back four after Trashton Gate.

As long as we win 5-4 or 6-5 who gives a shit mate :lol: :lol: Fantastic entertainment and a dodgy ticker time instore me thinks :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

We probably need another centre-half for cover (this is where a Premier League loanee would be ideal) and competition/cover for the full-back areas. The game on the weekend was probably a one-off with Connolly coming in for his first game after only a few days at the club (nowhere near enough to establish any sort of decent understanding with any of the back four, as even though it was only one player, it affects the whole of the defence, including the goalkeeper).

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:37 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Out of our current back 4 of huds kev turner and tayls I do feel we need drastic action as atm its not good enough, connolly can fit in but definitely need at least 1 more to be replaced for us to have hopes of automatic IMO :roll:

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:39 pm

ayahtolla wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Out of our current back 4 of huds kev turner and tayls I do feel we need drastic action as atm its not good enough, connolly can fit in but definitely need at least 1 more to be replaced for us to have hopes of automatic IMO :roll:

Who's not good enough then? Tell us please, instead of inserting that emoticon

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
ayahtolla wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

Huds, kev and tayls, imho ;)

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:42 pm

We need a pacy 6ft plus centre half.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 pm

ayahtolla wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
ayahtolla wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

You're joking? :shock:

I bet you were swayed by Saturday

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Angry Man wrote:We need a pacy 6ft plus centre half.

Name one they are few and far between .............

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
ayahtolla wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
ayahtolla wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

You're joking? :shock:

I bet you were swayed by Saturday

Not totally, never been a big fan of huds (did ok last season, but miles too slow) Tayls gets caught out positionally far too often and is not the best of tackler's (been kind to him there) and Kev good defender but cannot pass water, so although brizzle was frustrating again, it was hardly a one off ;)

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:59 pm

I think people are too preoccupied by pace of centre-halves nowadays. How many great defenders are defenders with pace?

Taylor is the best LB we've had for years and the root of his problem is the lack of help he gets from whoever is playing ahead of him. Imagine if Cowie was left-footed. No problem then!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:I think people are too preoccupied by pace of centre-halves nowadays. How many great defenders are defenders with pace?

Taylor is the best LB we've had for years and the root of his problem is the lack of help he gets from whoever is playing ahead of him. Imagine if Cowie was left-footed. No problem then!

you may be right with help in front of him, but that does not stop his positional sense does it ? How many times have you seen him be under the ball which has cost us ? and what about his tackling, and most good c/h's have got pace, at brizzle even stead got past huds ? have not seen anything as bad since gabor gyepes got done by parkin at preston, and Kev ? thats 3 out of 4 to me warrants drastic action, and i just hope (he will) MM does too

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Defence? You kidding me? We leaked 4 goals due to not bein creative and the midfield making mistakes?

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:16 pm

ayahtolla wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:I think people are too preoccupied by pace of centre-halves nowadays. How many great defenders are defenders with pace?

you may be right with help in front of him, but that does not stop his positional sense does it ? How many times have you seen him be under the ball which has cost us ? and what about his tackling, and most good c/h's have got pace, at brizzle even stead got past huds ? have not seen anything as bad since gabor gyepes got done by parkin at preston, and Kev ? thats 3 out of 4 to me warrants drastic action, and i just hope (he will) MM does too

Eh? :?

Not every good CB has pace. Remember Sami Hyypia? Anyway, he will get caught out occasionally.

McNaughton, like Taylor, has no competition and is perhaps resting on his laurels a bit. Having said that, I think he is the only one of the back four who needs replacing.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
ayahtolla wrote:

Eh? :?

Not every good CB has pace. Remember Sami Hyypia? Anyway, he will get caught out occasionally.

McNaughton, like Taylor, has no competition and is perhaps resting on his laurels a bit. Having said that, I think he is the only one of the back four who needs replacing.

;) I am sure we all want a good settled defence and only time will tell, and while we can all voice our opinions the one that counts is MM and hopefully he will get it sorted.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:25 pm

How many top CB's are strong in the air, good on the ground and have pace at championship level? Or at any level.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:30 pm

2blue2handle wrote:How many top CB's are strong in the air, good on the ground and have pace at championship level? Or at any level.

Most of them I would have thought!

There aren't too many successful CB's around like a Steve Bruce type player these days!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:30 pm

2blue2handle wrote:How many top CB's are strong in the air, good on the ground and have pace at championship level? Or at any level.

roger johnson ?

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Nathaniel Clyne at Palarse, Curtis Davies, Matt Bates at Boro, James Chester at Hull, Bruno at Brighton, these are players I would have tried to get at with VT's cash.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:36 pm

ayahtolla wrote:

roger johnson ?

At one point yes, seems to have lost it completely in the last year. Wouldn't say he had pace either and his positioning was always a little off.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:43 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
ayahtolla wrote:

roger johnson ?

At one point yes, seems to have lost it completely in the last year. Wouldn't say he had pace either and his positioning was always a little off.

Bit picky tonight Luke! :)

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:07 pm

well super kev is shite, noticed last season, missing burke i think?