Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Players need time - Watch us fly!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:56 am

After having a good hard think about what happened against Brizzle you have to remember. Two of the players who were in our starting XI had trained maybe once with the team. It does take a bit of time for new players to get to know each other and know how each other play.

I was quite impressed by Smith and he will be good this season on the wing as cover for Bellamy when he has to rest that knee of his.

Individually I thought Connolly and Hudson did ok against Bristol City. Connolly is not going to be first choice at the heart of the defence yet but when he builds that understanding with both Hudson and Turner in training I think he will be able to step up and be a very, very useful option at the back.

Our midfield is very capable and just like last season Malky just needs to find the right blend of players for the balance. We had to wait until Blackpool last season away until we found the formation that suited us best. I think we need to play a 4-3-3 and rotate often so players don't get tired. We have the squad to do it so we should! In a 4-3-3 as well I think Mason can easily slot into the centre forward position up top with Bellamy and Bo Kyung linking things up for him very nicely. Mason can score with his head and his feet he has shown that to us (last season notts forest (h) and against Bristol city this season)

Marshall
Mcnaughton Hudson Turner Taylor

Kiss
Mutch

Whittingham

Bellamy Mason Bo Kyung

In case you're wondering I've dropped Gunnar because I thought he wasn't great at Bristol City and I think Kiss deserves a chance this season because he has been outstanding in pre season. Play Kiss infront of the back four the opposition won't expect anything from him, bit like Shaun Derry at QPR when they got promoted. He gives the ball to Mutch and Whitts and they then pick those killer passes to the likes of Bellamy, Bo Kyung and Mason.

Watch us fly! Bluebirds! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Players need time - Watch us fly!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am

THE CARDIFF LAD wrote:After having a good hard think about what happened against Brizzle you have to remember. Two of the players who were in our starting XI had trained maybe once with the team. It does take a bit of time for new players to get to know each other and know how each other play.

I was quite impressed by Smith and he will be good this season on the wing as cover for Bellamy when he has to rest that knee of his.

Individually I thought Connolly and Hudson did ok against Bristol City. Connolly is not going to be first choice at the heart of the defence yet but when he builds that understanding with both Hudson and Turner in training I think he will be able to step up and be a very, very useful option at the back.

Our midfield is very capable and just like last season Malky just needs to find the right blend of players for the balance. We had to wait until Blackpool last season away until we found the formation that suited us best. I think we need to play a 4-3-3 and rotate often so players don't get tired. We have the squad to do it so we should! In a 4-3-3 as well I think Mason can easily slot into the centre forward position up top with Bellamy and Bo Kyung linking things up for him very nicely. Mason can score with his head and his feet he has shown that to us (last season notts forest (h) and against Bristol city this season)

Marshall
Mcnaughton Hudson Turner Taylor

Kiss
Mutch

Whittingham

Bellamy Mason Bo Kyung

In case you're wondering I've dropped Gunnar because I thought he wasn't great at Bristol City and I think Kiss deserves a chance this season because he has been outstanding in pre season. Play Kiss infront of the back four the opposition won't expect anything from him, bit like Shaun Derry at QPR when they got promoted. He gives the ball to Mutch and Whitts and they then pick those killer passes to the likes of Bellamy, Bo Kyung and Mason.

Watch us fly! Bluebirds! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

i would go with the same starting xi or possibly smith for kimbo.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am

sounds good in practice i guess.

im just glad you didnt you the word "gel" :roll:

i wouldnt play kiss personally. i dont think he is good enough, i wouldnt go too far from the team thats currently playing, bring in Bellamy and mason from the team who played against bristol.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:29 am

Interesting - HOW LONG HAVE THE BACK FOUR BEEN TOGETHER? ;)

They look like they've known each other 2 minutes so far and played like it!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:55 am

Interesting - HOW LONG HAVE THE BACK FOUR BEEN TOGETHER? ;)

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 am

arri potta wrote:Interesting - HOW LONG HAVE THE BACK FOUR BEEN TOGETHER? ;)

The back four that got us two clean sheets in a row at the start of the season against Huddersfield and Brighton? That back four we played in those two games was outstanding. Like I said Connolly has been in the squad five minutes and he was thrown into the deep end straight away. We missed Turner because Hudson knows how he plays and Turner knows how he plays. No one in our back four probably had a clue what type of centre back Connolly was and they need to build that understanding. Hence why we shipped four goals against Bristol City.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:21 pm

THE CARDIFF LAD wrote:

The back four that got us two clean sheets in a row at the start of the season against Huddersfield and Brighton? That back four we played in those two games was outstanding. Like I said Connolly has been in the squad five minutes and he was thrown into the deep end straight away. We missed Turner because Hudson knows how he plays and Turner knows how he plays. No one in our back four probably had a clue what type of centre back Connolly was and they need to build that understanding. Hence why we shipped four goals against Bristol City.

You can't blame Connolly for all four goals, surely?!

I thought our back line were all poor against Brizzle - I'm not including Marshall in this, though.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 pm

THE CARDIFF LAD wrote:

That back line against Huddersfield and Brghton was saved by some outstanding keeping by Marshall. Face facts, we could and should be bottom of the league with no points had it not been for one player.

That is very worrying and something MM can't seem to see or avoids!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
THE CARDIFF LAD wrote:

You can't blame Connolly for all four goals, surely?!

I thought our back line were all poor against Brizzle - I'm not including Marshall in this, though.

I'm not blaming Connolly for all the goals. That would be idiotic. Just saying it takes time for players to get used to other players.