Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Whittingham talks about Cardiffs 'wow factor'

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:16 am

Cardiff City star Peter Whittingham has revealed the new Bluebirds “wow factor” helped convince him to sign a new contract at the club.

Midfielder Whittingham today put pen to paper on an extended three-year deal just a month after Premier League side Fulham declared their interest with two firm bids.

Those approaches were immediately rejected by Cardiff chiefs, and Whittingham today revealed he is more than happy to stick with Malky Mackay’s side despite the interest from English football’s top tier.

The Bluebirds have signed a number of top stars this summer, with the additions of top stars Craig Bellamy, Jordon Mutch and Kim Bo-Kyung convincing Whittingham the Welsh capital is the place to be.

“As I have said all along, I have bought into what is happening at this club,” Whittingham said.

“It was a disappointing end to the season last year but I am here and I want to be playing for Cardiff.

“I have said all along I am happy to be here.

“If there is no-one in for you then you are not doing something right.

“I heard of the interest (from Fulham) and spoke to the manager but I am happy here and I have shown that with this new contract.

“If you look at the players they have brought in like Bellamy and Mutch, there is a bit of a wow factor around Cardiff at the moment.

“There are great players here and I think we can go far.”

Whittingham is now contracted to the club until 2013 having joined Cardiff in 2007.

The Bluebirds have undergone huge changes in that time, with the 27-year-old admitting the club is now light years ahead of where it was just five years ago.

“The club has changed quite a lot since I first got here with the stadium and training round aspect.

“Things are improving and just from the expectation here now you can see how far we have come.

“The whole club had an ambition and at the minute we are reaching it. To get to the Premiership would be job fulfilled.”

Cardiff’s Premier League ambitions took a dent on Saturday following a 4-2 beating against Bristol City at Ashton Gate, with Whittingham once again failing to hit previous heights from a withdrawn midfield role.

Many believe Whittingham’s attacking talents, which have seen him net more than 60 goals during his Cardiff career, are wasted from such a deep position, and the man himself admitted he is not entirely happy in his current role.

“The manager wants me to play there at the minute and I do get on the ball quite a lot,” he said.

“But on the other hand, I do feel as though I am kind of too easy to pick up in there.

“I do play quite deep and there may be a man on me.

“Its just a case of we need to start rotating the midfield a bit more and I feel that will come with games.

“I speak to the manager every day about those sort of things - about where he thinks I should be playing and where I need to improve my game.

“I’m grateful for that and I know there are aspects of my game I need to improve on.

“I just want to carry on the form I’ve had for the past couple of seasons.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z24tDTx0FU

Re: Whittingham talks about Cardiffs 'wow factor'

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:49 am

If he as signed a 3 year contract , then surely it should.be until 2015 not 2013 ? Another example of WoL journalism !!!!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:00 am

the man himself admitted he is not entirely happy in his current role.............. This says it all :lol:
:ayatollah:

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 am

bluebird1977 wrote:the man himself admitted he is not entirely happy in his current role.............. This says it all :lol:
:ayatollah:

Still,he's a rare breed these days.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:38 pm

We have a 'wow factor'?