Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Could this improve the atmosphere at CCS

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:57 pm

It seems to me that all seater stadiums are here to stay, so we will never be able to create the atmosphere that you get from the terraces. However, would it not be possible to just provide tickets including season tickets without a stated seat number? I.e you take a seat in your designated area on a first come, first serve basis, as we always do away from home. Mates could sit with mates, which in my mind is the one element that builds atmospheres away from home. Personally, as a season ticket holder I wouldn't care if I didn't have the same seat every week, just as long as I was in the same area, I.e the Ninian stand.

I think that one thing that has turned some supporters off, is that they can't be with their mates anymore at games, like they were at Ninian Park.

I don't see a real safety issue, as there are never any problems away from home, even when the stands are packed everyone just finds a seat without any problems regarding arguments over seats or space. Would this work? And would the club be able to do it if they wanted to? Is there anything legally or from a health & safety point of view that would stop them?

Re: Could this improve the atmosphere at CCS

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:01 pm

They could do that with the Canton End. It happens to a certain degree now, but not as you advocate. Good idea and I'll be there just as soon as my son grows a little taller!

:thumbup:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:18 pm

wish this would happen, being an exile it means I'm not a season ticket holder so when I go to home games I can't sit by mates which definitely puts me off putting in the effort to go as much as I'd like to.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:43 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:It seems to me that all seater stadiums are here to stay, so we will never be able to create the atmosphere that you get from the terraces. However, would it not be possible to just provide tickets including season tickets without a stated seat number? I.e you take a seat in your designated area on a first come, first serve basis, as we always do away from home. Mates could sit with mates, which in my mind is the one element that builds atmospheres away from home. Personally, as a season ticket holder I wouldn't care if I didn't have the same seat every week, just as long as I was in the same area, I.e the Ninian stand.

I think that one thing that has turned some supporters off, is that they can't be with their mates anymore at games, like they were at Ninian Park.

I don't see a real safety issue, as there are never any problems away from home, even when the stands are packed everyone just finds a seat without any problems regarding arguments over seats or space. Would this work? And would the club be able to do it if they wanted to? Is there anything legally or from a health & safety point of view that would stop them?

Main problem I can see it when its sold out or close to being sold out. No one wants to sit down the front so they end up standing on the steps which is obviously a big safety problem for the club.
Ive gone to many an away game (including Bristol City last week) where ive had to stand on the steps and stewards tring to force me to move (so infact moving away from my mates). I refer a seat number myself for home games.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 am

think this is a brilliant idea, even if they just did it slightly more restricted to a block, and maybe even top half and bottom half (as a ST costs more in the top half of the ninian stand) so theres a limit to where you can go but still plenty of choice to sit with mates.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:It seems to me that all seater stadiums are here to stay, so we will never be able to create the atmosphere that you get from the terraces. However, would it not be possible to just provide tickets including season tickets without a stated seat number? I.e you take a seat in your designated area on a first come, first serve basis, as we always do away from home. Mates could sit with mates, which in my mind is the one element that builds atmospheres away from home. Personally, as a season ticket holder I wouldn't care if I didn't have the same seat every week, just as long as I was in the same area, I.e the Ninian stand.

In certain parts of the ground this would prob work. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 am

I've mentioned this many times and have e-mailed the club about it too.
Nevere even got a reply. :(

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 am

very good idea we have to do something because the atmosphere as it stands is crap.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:43 am

They could easily have unassigned seating in certain blocks. There would be no health & safety rubbish as you would only issue tickets to the exact capacity of the block. This could work in the Ninian & Canton

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 am

The only time it could be a bit "IFFY" is when we get a decent crowd and it's pissing down.
Everone wants to get a seat out of the rain. :shock: :D

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 am

This is a great idea, but you would have to get consent from every fan in a certain area.

You could designate an area as 'free' seating but there will always be some fans who want to keep their seats so the club would have a problem. You'd need areas that have hardly any season ticket holders now and the only places to fit this bill would be the corners either side of the Canton Stand. Would fans who WANT 'free' seating be willing to move from behind the goal.

There will also always be some less desireable seats and fans turning up late would have to sit there and not remain in the aisles or the club would remove the option.

There's always problems with any ideas like this, but this is one of the best.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:58 am

Wayne S wrote:This is a great idea, but you would have to get consent from every fan in a certain area.

You could designate an area as 'free' seating but there will always be some fans who want to keep their seats so the club would have a problem. You'd need areas that have hardly any season ticket holders now and the only places to fit this bill would be the corners either side of the Canton Stand. Would fans who WANT 'free' seating be willing to move from behind the goal.

There will also always be some less desireable seats and fans turning up late would have to sit there and not remain in the aisles or the club would remove the option.

Wayne, all the club has to do is announce that this will change next season in a caertain area. (most prob Canton)
Many have been moved already.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:02 am

Forever Blue wrote:

at blues they have one part of one stand(away end)now that you can walk up to and pay on the day and sit where you like.forza blues sorted something with the club .they are trying to get an atmosphere going.pitiful though against charlton.i went to cov last night mate :shock:

In certain parts of the ground this would prob work. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:24 am

SBF1 wrote:
Wayne, all the club has to do is announce that this will change next season in a caertain area. (most prob Canton)
Many have been moved already.

Definately. Most in the area will be up for it, but you just know some will not want the change and the club will not want to annoy any fans (remember what happened last time there was no fan negotiation :D )

It's not unsurmountable. I see the bigger challenge being the johnny come lately's who have just left the pub not being enarmoured with sitting at the front if that is all that is left.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:25 am

People always moaning about these all seater stadiums on here, granted yes the terraces were more lively but an atmosphere CAN be struck up in new stadiums. Look at the jack bastards, they seem to be making the their council house a bit of a fortress and an intimidating place to go to.

Its the stewards at our ground and the happy clappy fan base we seem to have adopted :oops: pisses me off

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:38 am

Mark all the tickets "unreserved seating" like they were on Saturday and you could have 1 or 2 blocks available for fans who want this?

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:42 am

Good idea, and for all those who do prefer to come late/stay at the bar etc... well they will know it is on a first come basis so got to sit where possible, i do think it can work in cetain parts of the ground, maybe drought a letter up and see the response's ? I too have never seen a problem away from home :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 pm

tru-n-blu1 wrote:People always moaning about these all seater stadiums on here, granted yes the terraces were more lively but an atmosphere CAN be struck up in new stadiums. Look at the jack bastards, they seem to be making the their council house a bit of a fortress and an intimidating place to go to.

Its the stewards at our ground and the happy clappy fan base we seem to have adopted :oops: pisses me off

using the Jacks little council house as an example is piss poor to be honest, on the three occassions I have been there in derby games, the atmosphere, epecially from the Jacks has been pretty average and that's in a derby game. It's a fortress because they have a very good team, not because of their supporters and the atmosphere they create.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Wayne S wrote:This is a great idea, but you would have to get consent from every fan in a certain area.

That's really another plus of having this system, it would be a further incentive for supporters to get into the ground and their seats earlier, there's in nothing worse than everyone leaving right until the last minute to enter their seats, does nothing at all for creating an atmosphere.
I think if it improved the atmosphere within the stadium around a third of season ticket holders would be up for this. the other 2 thirds who would not want it could be catered for I am sure. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:33 pm

llan bluebird wrote:They could easily have unassigned seating in certain blocks. There would be no health & safety rubbish as you would only issue tickets to the exact capacity of the block. This could work in the Ninian & Canton

This would only work with people with a brain cell and sadly some of our support lack that single cell.

People will stand leaving spare single seats between them and the "next group" eventually meaning groups can't find seats together so stand on the steps together rather than be split.

It happens at loads of away games when we sell out and stewards spend a lot of time "trying" to move people.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:14 pm

maybe the club could trial it at the next cup game we get at home for example, just one block in the canton and one in he ninian (id suggest 118 in ninian right next to the away fans, dont know the numbers for canton) and see if it works, if it does, then trial it more!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I stated something similar back last year and soemone said that it was against the stadiums health and safety

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
tru-n-blu1 wrote:People always moaning about these all seater stadiums on here, granted yes the terraces were more lively but an atmosphere CAN be struck up in new stadiums. Look at the jack bastards, they seem to be making the their council house a bit of a fortress and an intimidating place to go to.

using the Jacks little council house as an example is piss poor to be honest, on the three occassions I have been there in derby games, the atmosphere, epecially from the Jacks has been pretty average and that's in a derby game. It's a fortress because they have a very good team, not because of their supporters and the atmosphere they create.

Nah mate I'll be honest I have been to a LOT of stadiums and fair play they are pretty passionate, even if they do sing hymns and arias all the time. Thought they were pretty loud in the last derby game up until they went 1-0 down :D :ayatollah:

If its possible for them its possible for us.