Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Luton away 1971

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Did anyone go up on the train for this game? Both teams were doing well at the time, I went up by train with my mates from Maesteg, for what I remember the train was packed with City fans, when we arrived at Luton station we walked to Kenilwoorth road and snow was thick on the ground, word was going round that the game was off which was confirmed at 13.00 pretty pissed off by the cancelation we had a look what game was on in London, Spurs were at home so a load of us decide to get the tube across town, then a bus from Seven sisters to White Heart lane, I am sure they were playing Everton, also Leicesters game was called off, and some of their fans were there as well, we were all in the away end singing Cardiff Leicester Everton, the Spurs fans were trying to get at our fans but were sent packing, what a day that was, never seen the like again in all the yrs I have supported the club, were any of you there for that one? I think Frankie was there.

Re: Luton away 1971

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:01 pm

I went with my mate and his dad and some others , ended up in the Luton clubhouse the pitch was waterlogged. Missed the special train back had to travel from London back in the guards van as it was so packed with city fans who had been to Spurs
Those were the days my friend( remember we used to have many songs in them days). Since the PC brigade started most of them have died off shame really as FOOTBALL in them days was for the man in the street.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:52 am

Most people come to Luton and quickly turn round and head for someone else!! :lol: :lol:

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:25 am

Went to the Spurs game that day with about 200 ? City fans. Frankie was there and I remember my mate being arrested for running up the escalator the wrong way.
At Spurs there was an almighty scrap with Spurs against us ,Leicester and Milwall. The game was also shown on T.V. on the Sunday and my same mate could be seen fighting with Spurs fans during the game. Unfortunately his mother saw him and he ended up having another hiding on the Sunday.
One hell of a day.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:31 am

Everton not Milwall - was a long time ago !!!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 am

Don't think there was a ticket bought on the tube.but had to buy one on the bus, would not now condone that behaviour, but that was the way it was then, when the football special pulled into the station the doors would be open before the train had stopped and hundreds would pour out onto the platform shouting Cardiff Cardiff, in those days there were no police, you might see them the. Loser you got to the ground, all in all our fans were pretty well behaved apart from a few morons who would cause damage to parked cars, never agreed with behaviour like that it dragged the good name of the club through the gutter.