Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OT Brian Clough!?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Bizzare connection but was researching Robin Friday after Corky's link. I came across some random Reading you tube link about him.
But linked to it was Brian Clough putting John Motson in all shapes:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAZsoF-ghw

What were your opinions on him?

Re: OT Brian Clough!?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Bit of a dick but a top manager, the damned united is a quality film aswell, highly reccomend! the acting performence is amazing, got clough down to a T

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:04 pm

BluebirdJM wrote:Bit of a dick but a top manager, the damned united is a quality film aswell, highly reccomend! the acting performence is amazing, got clough down to a T

You're right about the acting of him a character that will not be forgotten!
The only manager anywhere near him for the talk - Holloway?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:07 pm

dougblue wrote:
BluebirdJM wrote:Bit of a dick but a top manager, the damned united is a quality film aswell, highly reccomend! the acting performence is amazing, got clough down to a T

You're right about the acting of him a character that will not be forgotten!
The only manager anywhere near him for the talk - Holloway?

Yes and no imo, i feel holloway does it for the cameras and attention, i feel clough done it because he is a f*cking looney :lol:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:12 pm

The man was a genius, in my opinion and like all geniuses, he was also borderline insane.

I cheered his Forest to victory in Europe from the comfort of my own home, like many youngsters did in those days, no doubt.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Lived in Nottingham for a few years. Clough was a total legend up there, but lost his head, mainly due to drink and in the end became embarrassing. What he achieved in football at 2 unfashionable clubs I don't think will ever be repeated. Forget Fergie and the riches he's had to play with, brilliant job, but Clough for me will always be the best. Took a second division club to promotion then the title, then another 2nd division club to promotion then 2 European Cups (if I remember correctly) and the film, Damned United was superb. Even my wife with no interest in footy loved it.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 pm

How can you put holloway in the same sentence as Clough. Cloughy talked the talk and backed it up with leagues and european cups!

Id say Shanks is the nearest to clough. He could knock down a reporter or a player in one word

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Sir Alex is closest to Clough.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:43 am

Ramstein blue wrote:How can you put holloway in the same sentence as Clough. Cloughy talked the talk and backed it up with leagues and european cups!

Id say Shanks is the nearest to clough. He could knock down a reporter or a player in one word

I was only comparing Holloway to Clough for the way they talk to the media etc. Holloway not fit to tie his laces as a manager.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:37 am

Lawnmower wrote:Lived in Nottingham for a few years. Clough was a total legend up there, but lost his head, mainly due to drink and in the end became embarrassing. What he achieved in football at 2 unfashionable clubs I don't think will ever be repeated. Forget Fergie and the riches he's had to play with, brilliant job, but Clough for me will always be the best. Took a second division club to promotion then the title, then another 2nd division club to promotion then 2 European Cups (if I remember correctly) and the film, Damned United was superb. Even my wife with no interest in footy loved it.

the guy was different class as a manager.worst kept secret was his drink problem.moriniho at porto nearest to what cloughie did at forest regarding europeon cup.don,t forget those days it wasn,t seeded.i think the second time they won it they knocked liverpool out

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:44 am

Lawnmower wrote:Lived in Nottingham for a few years. Clough was a total legend up there, but lost his head, mainly due to drink and in the end became embarrassing. What he achieved in football at 2 unfashionable clubs I don't think will ever be repeated. Forget Fergie and the riches he's had to play with, brilliant job, but Clough for me will always be the best. Took a second division club to promotion then the title, then another 2nd division club to promotion then 2 European Cups (if I remember correctly) and the film, Damned United was superb. Even my wife with no interest in footy loved it.

my mate is in non league coaching.something to do with tamworth acadamy now.he told me some great stories regarding b.c.my mate also had contact with nigel .you would not believe the job that man has done at derby .had to downsize massively.nigel clough and his team stay in premier inns and the like now when sleeping over.before under jewell it was costing a arm and leg.basically he,s had to restructure everything .perhaps that,s why when he,s had ropey results they don,t clamour for his head.my mate reckons he,s a gent

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 am

I thought the Damned United film was excellent. I'd love to see Michael Sheen in a portrayal of Clough during the Forest years. I met him last year when he did a Q&A at the hall in Penrhiwceiber. I wanted to ask him that question but got all star-struck and asked him a load of drivel instead