Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ALAN WARBOYS......GIL REECE......DAVE POWELL....!?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Didn't take me long as a kid to get over Toshack chosing Liverpool over us (that's what happened despite what old folk might tell you about Cardiff selling him...no ambition, blah blah).

He was fecking useless on the floor. Learned to kick the ball later on at Liverpool.

But in return we got a certain Alan Warboys. Good enough for me. Scored a goal a game in his first half season, 1970-71. Strong, no nonsence centre forward at a time when centre half was boss.

Question.............when he went to Sheffield United, we got Gill Reece (RIP) and Dave Powell in return. I remember Gill but can't remember Dave Powell.

Anyone old enough on here to fill me in......you know what I mean ;)

Re: ALAN WARBOYS......GIL REECE......DAVE POWELL....!?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:45 pm

sorry purple can,t agree on lack of ambition by the city board, that year with toshack city were steaming. the point was they sold toshack and waited about four to six weeks before warboys came in hence the momentum had gone out of there play.

toshack could certainly kick and pass a ball extremely well very much in the crouch mold and is one of only two players who played for city since i,ve supported them who could control a header and lay it off for the likes of brian clarke.

As regards powell like reece (RIP) his better days were behind him. he was a six foot blonde gentle type of player for a centre half but when with the city was injury prone and seeing out his playing days.

my memory might be playing tricks but thats the way i seen it.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:10 pm

beano1 wrote:sorry purple can,t agree on lack of ambition by the city board, that year with toshack city were steaming. the point was they sold toshack and waited about four to six weeks before warboys came in hence the momentum had gone out of there play.

toshack could certainly kick and pass a ball extremely well very much in the crouch mold and is one of only two players who played for city since i,ve supported them who could control a header and lay it off for the likes of brian clarke.

As regards powell like reece (RIP) his better days were behind him. he was a six foot blonde gentle type of player for a centre half but when with the city was injury prone and seeing out his playing days.

I have to agree on the toshack bit, the blame for him going lies totally with the board at the time, it was the first week in january 1971, we were flying, all they had to say to tosh was, if we don't make it this season you can go in the summer, but no they took the £110,000 (which was a lot of money then) and delayed the signing of warboys long enough for the damage to be done, warboys scored four goals in the first 35 minutes of his debut against carlise, (i think) after that he didn't do a lot.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Pretty sure that Toshack went before Christmas not in January. Jimmy Scoular is on record that he supported the Toshack sale because he thought he could get 3 or 4 players with the money and clinch promotion, so it wasn't just the Board. it didn't work out of course and he also said it was the worst mistake he made! The Carlisle match was in March, I think, and certainly not Warboys' debut. He scored 27 goals in 60 appearances so it's not fair to say he didn't do much else for us

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Nemo wrote:Pretty sure that Toshack went before Christmas not in January. Jimmy Scoular is on record that he supported the Toshack sale because he thought he could get 3 or 4 players with the money and clinch promotion, so it wasn't just the Board. it didn't work out of course and he also said it was the worst mistake he made! The Carlisle match was in March, I think, and certainly not Warboys' debut. He scored 27 goals in 60 appearances so it's not fair to say he didn't do much else for us

not sure about the timing but you could argue that scouler was partly to blame as he (scouler) was being courted by wolves at the time and could have argued with the city board if he goes so do i.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Nemo wrote:Pretty sure that Toshack went before Christmas not in January. Jimmy Scoular is on record that he supported the Toshack sale because he thought he could get 3 or 4 players with the money and clinch promotion, so it wasn't just the Board. it didn't work out of course and he also said it was the worst mistake he made! The Carlisle match was in March, I think, and certainly not Warboys' debut. He scored 27 goals in 60 appearances so it's not fair to say he didn't do much else for us

Jesus, my memory is crap, (it must be an age thing) i could have sworn his four goals were on his debut, i stand corrected.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm

He did score 2 goals on his debut against Sheffield Wed. So you were not that far out! Wish we had someone like him now.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Tosh went in november after we beat qpr away 1-0. Got off train at paddington it said Tosh to Liverpool on the newstand , there was nt even a rumour in Cardiff at the time was a big shock he went the next week. If the board had signed Warboys and kept Tosh we would have gone up that season.

W e are still waiting to get to the top league 40+ years later. I think its about time we finally get there.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:06 pm

cityone wrote:

Jesus, my memory is crap, (it must be an age thing) i could have sworn his four goals were on his debut, i stand corrected.

not sure but could it have been 4 goals against carlisle at first home match at NP ?.

whatever, wonderful inicent memories (no message boards) :lol:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 pm

cityone wrote:

not sure but could it have been 4 goals against carlisle at first home match at NP ?.

whatever, wonderful inicent memories (no message boards) :lol:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Warboys scored the fastest ever hatrick for City on 6 March 1971 v Carlisle on his way to 4 goals, whilst having his hamstring tightly bandaged. That would never be allowed today.
I should know,I was there with my (late) mother and father.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:00 pm

:ayatollah: Cant remember exactly when but did enjoy watching bobby woodruff throw the ball, omg it went for miles :lol:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 pm

cardiff city stadium wrote:Warboys scored the fastest ever hatrick for City on 6 March 1971 v Carlisle on his way to 4 goals, whilst having his hamstring tightly bandaged. That would never be allowed today.
I should know,I was there with my (late) mother and father.

I saw that game too. What a bloody shame there was that gap between toshack leaving and Worboys coming in. City must have gone up that season otherwise.
Now we are knocking on the door again,it's hilarious there are so many arguing about the ambition of the board/owners although this time it's too ambitious!

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 pm

beano1 wrote:sorry purple can,t agree on lack of ambition by the city board, that year with toshack city were steaming. the point was they sold toshack and waited about four to six weeks before warboys came in hence the momentum had gone out of there play.

Beano, 'Big Head' made it clear he wanted away and chose Liverpool. Nowt for City to do but cash in. City DID NOT orchestrate the move, 'Big Head' did.

And he was shite with the ball at feet. Could flick a header and kick the laces off a ball in front of him. Other than that (which was good ), he was average. Honest !!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:36 am

cityone wrote:

Scored two against his old club Sheffield Wednesday on his debut

Prompted the Sheffield Wednesday manager of the time ( can't remember his name though I can still picture him clearly) to moan that " he never played like that for us"

The Carlisle game came a few weeks later when Warboys playedi with a damaged leg could barely walk let alone run, Yet he scored 3 times in the first ten minutes and then a fourth much later in the half when the ball came to him about 20 yards out and because he could hardly move at all by then he just whacked it first time and it screamed in. Went off to to rapturous applause at half time and didn't reappear for the second half.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:17 am

Purple in Cwmbran wrote:

Beano, 'Big Head' made it clear he wanted away and chose Liverpool. Nowt for City to do but cash in. City DID NOT orchestrate the move, 'Big Head' did.

purple,its all about opinions (and in my case memory) :lol: mine just happens to differ from yours thats all.

And he was shite with the ball at feet. Could flick a header and kick the laces off a ball in front of him. Other than that (which was good ), he was average. Honest !!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Yes I remember that 4th goal against carlisle my mate was in the Canton stand and said the ball started off coming straight at him and curved in the top corner, didn't use to get much curve on a ball in those days but that one did. A week or two latter in a FA cup game against a lower team Warboys (still with the hamstring bandaged) punched a defender in the stomach and got sent off and City lost.