Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The most jaw dropping moment in a international match

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Result or amazing incident that you have ever witnessed.

For a live match it has to be Ian Rush and Wales 1-0 over zee germans(then world champs)
possibly the greatest international game ive ever been to.

but as for the original question (i expect a slagging for this like) but in football terms and all other aspects of history, The Germany 1 England 5 in 2001 was and still is the most shocking and amazing result i have ever witnessed.

When you consider the fact they were completely written off by the World press as well as there own media and they went 1-0 down.

I detest the English media and the way they portray the English game and all of its surrounding elements, and i have never before or will ever in the future want England to win, so as a proud Welshman it really does pain me to admit this. :oops:

Re: The most jaw dropping moment in a international match

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:17 pm

that german keepers assault on french forward has to be up there! :D

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:09 am

has to be for me when we beat italy in the millenium stadium..... :D :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:51 am

wales vs rumania most hostile atmosphere in most exciting game ive been to :D

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:54 am

When Jay Bothroyd was called up :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:11 am

BluebirdForever wrote:When Jay Bothroyd was called up :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:40 am

Mark Hughes spectacular goal against Spain at Wrexham will live forever in my memory :old:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:49 am

Zidane's attack on Matterazzi.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:54 am

Maradonas second goal against England in '86 (the first one weren't bad either ;) ) and Paul Bodins penalty miss against Romania

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:14 am

Brazil freekick against Zaire. Comedy gold.
&
Northan Ireland versus Spain.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:18 am

Earnie missing that sitter at Wembley last year :shock: Otherwise, coming within a quarter of an hour of beating England at Ninian Park in 1970. They were still world champions at the time.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:50 am

Following the Romania game way back 1993 Wales supporter John Hill died after distress rocket fired into crowd during World Cup qualifier with Romania. Can't believe that is 19 years ago in November.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Mine was Wales against Spain in Wrexham, the press had built up the Spanish bloke and he was known as the beast of Bilbao, or something along those lines, and what he was going to do with mark Hughes and short of eating him alive there was plenty.

Well a few minutes into the game Mark Hughes turned, the beast came in and mark Hughes hit him four foot off the floor, you could feel the stand shaking, we din't see or hear from the beast for the rest of the night.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Zidanes headbutt
Owen goal against Argentina
Greece winning euros

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:32 pm

The one I witnessed was Wales beating Germany 1-0 when Rush scored. I also loved our 4-0 win over Scotland when Earnshaw got a hat trick because that was when we were riding high under Hughes.

I would say that for other nations, Senegal's 1-0 win over France in the 2002 World Cup has to be the most memorable one to me.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Zidane headbutt for me, I was only 10 and it really was shocking :shock:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Jock Stein dying at Ninian Park, on the train back to Swansea, 8 years old wondering why everyone was quiet and grown men were close to tears. Still got my ticket from that night for some reason.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Rene Higuita's scorpion kick at wembley ( columbian keeper) that was truly unbelievable.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:55 pm

whenthemoonshines wrote:Rene Higuita's scorpion kick at wembley ( columbian keeper) that was truly unbelievable.

it was good, but i think its gets more acclaim than it should. Play had stopped and he wouldnt have looked too much of an idiot if he missed :lol:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Beating Deutschland in 1991 at the old Arms Park and then beating Italia at the Mill Stad in 2002.

Amazing occasions and results, which I'll cherish forever.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Denmark wining the European Championship in 1992 beating Germany 2-0 in the Final. Denmark had not qualified for the tornament, but due to the War in the Balkens Yugoslavia were kicked out , leaving Denmark to come in on a wildcard and winning it :shock: :shock:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm

the cracking header by Maradonna back in 1986 against Engerland :lol:

that was so much better than his 2nd goal (great though it was) and has given us 26 years of hilarity ever since :lol:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Die Walkure wrote:the cracking header by Maradonna back in 1986 against Engerland :lol:

that was so much better than his 2nd goal (great though it was) and has given us 26 years of hilarity ever since :lol:

I hated that goal, in all honesty and I've always hated cheats. I'm all for more honesty in football, instead of dishonesty and greed destroying it.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
Die Walkure wrote:the cracking header by Maradonna back in 1986 against Engerland :lol:

I hated that goal, in all honesty and I've always hated cheats. I'm all for more honesty in football, instead of dishonesty and greed destroying it.

England have cheated many times over the years, but our media always forget about those incidents immediately :

Michael Owen cheating twice (1998 and 2002) against Argentina (at least Maradonna only did it once :lol: )
Crouch's pulling of the dreadlocks against Trinidad in 2006

I just love how self righteous the British media still get about the Maradonna 1986 incident, whilst tippexing out their own cheating incidents.

Also, remember, they won a World Cup on a very dodgy decision, which the English players were hardly saying to the ref - that was clearly not over the line :lol:

1986 always makes me laugh.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Die Walkure wrote:
Nedd Glas wrote:

England have cheated many times over the years, but our media always forget about those incidents immediately :

Michael Owen cheating twice (1998 and 2002) against Argentina (at least Maradonna only did it once :lol: )
Crouch's pulling of the dreadlocks against Trinidad in 2006

I just love how self righteous the British media still get about the Maradonna 1986 incident, whilst tippexing out their own cheating incidents.

Also, remember, they won a World Cup on a very dodgy decision, which the English players were hardly saying to the ref - that was clearly not over the line :lol:

1986 always makes me laugh.

I'm not ignoring the points you made, which were valid, but Maradona and any other cheats just wind me up. 1986 damaged football, just as the other incidents did.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:55 pm

with maradonas handball what goes around comes around.. the were outclassed by a cameroon side and who can ever forget roger millas celebration dance!

zidanes headbutt has to be one of the most shocking...

for us our victory over world champions germany, and the 2-1 over italy ...

and this was great also. 1996 olympics, nigeria beating brazil 4-3 in the semi final class game and then winning the final beating argentina in another great game 3-2 evertons daniel amokachi!

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Wales winning a game.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:14 pm

That cheating b*stard Joe Jordan's handball Anfield 1977, being 16 and being chased by mad scot bastards

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:16 pm

splottbluebird48 wrote:That cheating b*stard Joe Jordan's handball Anfield 1977, being 16 and being chased by mad scot bastards

The penalty the Jocks got in 1985 was a shocker as well.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:37 pm

Nedd Glas wrote:
splottbluebird48 wrote:That cheating b*stard Joe Jordan's handball Anfield 1977, being 16 and being chased by mad scot bastards

The penalty the Jocks got in 1985 was a shocker as well.

Yes agree there is a theme running here scot bastards :lol: :lol: :lol: