Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Abercynon man

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:33 pm

He's 93 and has held a season ticket for almost seven decades.

Now Roy Watkins has relived some of his fondest memories watching his beloved Bluebirds.

Great grandfather Roy, who celebrated his birthday Thursday, has been hailed one of Cardiff City’s longest-serving fans after first falling in love with the side in the 1930s.

After working on the railways as a clerk in his teens and 20s, the Abercynon man made the most of his train fare discount to travel to Ninian Park as often as he could.

But he spent the first few seasons unable to even afford a programme after earning just £45 a year in wages.

And despite following the side and sharing in some of their greatest triumphs, he has never bought a replica shirt.

“I rarely worked on Saturdays, so I would go down to Ninian Park and stand in the Bob Bank,” said Mr Watkins, a keen dancer.

“If we won, the train journey home would be full of chatter, but if we lost it would be complete silence.

“There used to be much more friendly banter. I remember going away to watch Derby in the 1950s, who are nicknamed the Rams.

“We would turn up with frying pans with lamb chops in them. We would march through the town and there would be no problem.

“Now I’m glad I’m a bit deaf so I can’t hear the rude chanting.”

Mr Watkins was excused from serving in the army during World War Two after doctors found a leaking valve in his heart.

Despite the early health scare, he went on to become secretary of Mountain Ash General Hospital and held a senior role as district general administrator for eight hospitals in South Wales.

And during his 31 years in the health service, Mr Watkins never missed a day of work.

But Cardiff City remained a constant in his life – a passion he shared with his wife until her death in the 1990s.

“One of my greatest memories is our promotion season in 1944-5,” he added.

“I remember ‘Buller’ Lever stepping up to take a penalty and hitting the top of the Canton Stand.

“I would love to be back at Ninian Park, it was a more intimate atmosphere.”

Mr Watkins, one of the oldest members of the freemasons, has been in the stands for most of the club’s finest performances, including their 1-0 over Real Madrid in 1971.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CCFC

Re: Abercynon man

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:46 pm

I wonder if Bluebird since 1948 knows him ;) :old:

Re: Abercynon man

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:12 am

taffy123 wrote:He's 93 and has held a season ticket for almost seven decades.

Now Roy Watkins has relived some of his fondest memories watching his beloved Bluebirds.

Great grandfather Roy, who celebrated his birthday Thursday, has been hailed one of Cardiff City’s longest-serving fans after first falling in love with the side in the 1930s.

After working on the railways as a clerk in his teens and 20s, the Abercynon man made the most of his train fare discount to travel to Ninian Park as often as he could.

But he spent the first few seasons unable to even afford a programme after earning just £45 a year in wages.

And despite following the side and sharing in some of their greatest triumphs, he has never bought a replica shirt.

“I rarely worked on Saturdays, so I would go down to Ninian Park and stand in the Bob Bank,” said Mr Watkins, a keen dancer.

“If we won, the train journey home would be full of chatter, but if we lost it would be complete silence.

“There used to be much more friendly banter. I remember going away to watch Derby in the 1950s, who are nicknamed the Rams.

“We would turn up with frying pans with lamb chops in them. We would march through the town and there would be no problem.

“Now I’m glad I’m a bit deaf so I can’t hear the rude chanting.”

Mr Watkins was excused from serving in the army during World War Two after doctors found a leaking valve in his heart.

Despite the early health scare, he went on to become secretary of Mountain Ash General Hospital and held a senior role as district general administrator for eight hospitals in South Wales.

And during his 31 years in the health service, Mr Watkins never missed a day of work.

But Cardiff City remained a constant in his life – a passion he shared with his wife until her death in the 1990s.

“One of my greatest memories is our promotion season in 1944-5,” he added.

“I remember ‘Buller’ Lever stepping up to take a penalty and hitting the top of the Canton Stand.

“I would love to be back at Ninian Park, it was a more intimate atmosphere.”

Mr Watkins, one of the oldest members of the freemasons, has been in the stands for most of the club’s finest performances, including their 1-0 over Real Madrid in 1971.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk :ayatollah: :ayatollah: CCFC

f'ing plastic