Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Turner & Shawcross Turn Down Wales!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:29 pm

According to BBC Radio Wales, they've turned us down as they consider themselves to be English!

Re: Turner & Shawcross Turn Down Wales!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Thats fair enough from them. Shame as Id have liked to have seen Turner in a welsh top

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Overthemoon wrote:According to BBC Radio Wales, they've turned us down as they consider themselves to be English!

good on them tbh ,we should have only players born in wales :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:35 pm

i think they could have formed a good partnership at the back, but fair play to them, if they dont feel welsh, they shouldnt play.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:52 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19366405

What a lovely picture of Turner the BBC have used :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:11 pm

turning down the chance of playing international football is foolish!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:15 pm

AHERNE wrote:turning down the chance of playing international football is foolish!

not if you dont have any feelings towards the country it isnt

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:19 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
AHERNE wrote:turning down the chance of playing international football is foolish!

not if you dont have any feelings towards the country it isnt

To be fair they're two of the few footballers who have put their own feelings before fame and I respect them for that.

Shawcross may yet get an England chance but Ben is very unlikely to get such a chance yet he is still loyal to his country :ayatollah: Not many of todays footballers would have done the same so hats off to him.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Would anyone (who is welsh) play for England if for whatever reason Wales didnt want you?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 pm

If someone offered you the chance to play for england, would you? I'd rather eat my own excrement! :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:15 pm

good, two great players but at the end of the day they are not welsh

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Howey1927 wrote:

If someone offered you the chance to play for england, would you? I'd rather eat my own excrement! :ayatollah:

i ran for wales but if wales hadnt have picked me then YES i would have ran for england to get an international vest! ... tbh my grandfather was irish and i was thinking about running for them at one point!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 pm

2blue2handle wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19366405

Actually laughed out loud at that, poor turner :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:12 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Would anyone (who is welsh) play for England if for whatever reason Wales didnt want you?

Never would I play for England, Welsh born, Welsh bred, Welsh untill I'm dead.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Yikes :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Is this a joke as if turner is going to be running out for england with his passing abilitys, i mean atleast he will get a spot for wales for years to come but then again who wants to play for coleman gone back 10years we have :(
Last edited by Bluebird1977 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:25 pm

probably dont want to play under coleman !!!! :roll:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:06 pm

yet another mess up by the wfa,the possibility they could play for wales has been in the press for months,we even had coleman asking ramsey about shwcross then when the players are evetually asked they dont even want to play for wales :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:10 pm

caerblue wrote:yet another mess up by the wfa,the possibility they could play for wales has been in the press for months,we even had coleman asking ramsey about shwcross then when the players are evetually asked they dont even want to play for wales :lol:

Coleman hasnt shut up about these two and then he says he hasnt even spoke to them :roll:
You would think the first thing would be to speak to them rather than to the press :oops:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Looks like fecking Jim Carey! :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:23 pm

I would never play for England even though can, so i fully understand why they don't want to play for a team going the wrong way (under Coleman) in the world rankings

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Let's be fair would you play for Coleman :?:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:29 pm

ross1927 wrote:Let's be fair would you play for Coleman :?:

Of course.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
ross1927 wrote:Let's be fair would you play for Coleman :?:

Of course.

same here, but im Welsh, so i would play for any manager

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 pm

I find that strange coming from a nationalist like you. :lol: Now i ask you this young man , you have the chance to run for England and only England :o you would have to have the badge of St George on your tit. And if you win you would have to stand to God save Harry's hairy bollocks!!!! Would you ?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Overthemoon wrote:According to BBC Radio Wales, they've turned us down as they consider themselves to be English!

And so they should.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Their choice and respect that. They want to play for their country no matter what their chances are. At least we can keep Turner with us for the time being. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:44 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Would anyone (who is welsh) play for England if for whatever reason Wales didnt want you?

we brought this up a couple of weeks ago at the pub... players who were born in wales but choose a different international route through parents, or grand parents etc..

the only player i can ever remember choosing england was the former liverpool full back rob jones born and lived in wrexham..... dont think he made that many england appearances though...

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:13 pm

If I was good enough to play for England I'd be there in a shot.

If I was a decent player only likely to get a cameo role or squad player at best then I'd stick to Wales.

Call me selfish but we aren't going to qualify for a tournament so it's almost pointless being in the team.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Aramore wrote:

If I was good enough to play for England I'd be there in a shot.

If I was a decent player only likely to get a cameo role or squad player at best then I'd stick to Wales.

Call me selfish but we aren't going to qualify for a tournament so it's almost pointless being in the team.

Fair enough but not how I think at all.

I'd rather lose every game playing for Wales than win 1 playing for England.