Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lance Armstrong stripped of his 7 TDF titles.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 am

Stripped of all 7 of his titles despite the fact he has never failed a drugs test. In my opinion, one of the greatest athletes that has ever lived.

For those who care, here is his statement regarding his decision to not fight the charge.

http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/l ... st-23-2012

Re: Lance Armstrong stripped of his 7 TDF titles.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:17 am

Its sad because the way he's been treated by his fellow pro's is scandalous. Riders who have admitted using drugs have been told they wont face any action as long as they say Armstrong took them. How can that be admissable in any investigation is beyond a joke and thats the only evidence they have. All tests he took when cycling were always clear. Let the man be, if he did cheat he was smart enough to hide it from the tests but to bribe other riders is pathetic.

Its strange because Miguel Indurain won TDF 5 times in a row yet nothing about him cheating. Its the culture we live in im afraid, hes fantastic at that so he must be on drugs.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 am

From what I can see, it just seems like they are hell bent on ruining his name. It just goes to prove that no matter how succesful or famous you are, if you've pissed someone powerful off and they want to bring you down, you have absolutely no chance.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:57 am

he was a great athlete but surely if you are innocent you dont just give up you fight till your names clear

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 am

nicky evans wrote:he was a great athlete but surely if you are innocent you dont just give up you fight till your names clear

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear and you'd fight it all the way to clear your name. My guess is that the anti-doping authorities in the States must have something concrete on him otherwise they wouldn't have gone after him like they have and Armstrong knows it.

Hence apparently taking the moral high ground.

Just my opinion. I have nothing against the bloke.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:10 am

I don't know what to think with this.

If I was in his shoes I wouldn't be giving up my legacy, I would fight to keep those major honours.

But like has been said, he has not failed one drugs test during his career yet some of his ex team mates are all waiting to give evidence that they have seen him dope. Surely anything like EPO would have been picked up as it stays in your blood for a long long time.

Also lets not forget that one of the men who is out to strip Lance of his honours is a massive liar having come out at the end of career and said that he was a heavy user of performance enhancing drugs but always denied it when he was cycling.

Keep fighting Lance!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:12 am

Yes it's been a witchunt. I think they will have a problem stripping the titles. I can't think of many of his nearest rivals who did not test poss around that era. So who will they award the titles. Floyd Landis who was one witness was stripped as was Marco pantani RIP, as was Alberto contador, jan Ullrich finished 3/4 times second I think to Armstrong . He tested poss etc etc . Armstrong voted Americas greatest athlete has raised 100s of mills to cancer. Against the usada spending millions of tax payers money going back to 1999

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:46 am

He has been fighting, he has gone to the courts and won, usada are totally ignoring what the courts have said....they ruled they have no right to do it, the witnesses are not credible and cannot be used.......yet usada are carrying on. There is nothing more Armstrong can actually do.

As i said in a previous post, all the witnesses have been promised they will face no action of any sort if they say Armstrong used drugs. What do u expect the witnesses are gonna say, even if they didnt know he took drugs they will say he did to save their own skin. Its madness.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:19 am

The Tour de France is full of crooks. Nobody knows which cyclists are taking drugs. You put your body through such a terrible physical test that most needs drugs just not to die. The word on the inside was that everyone was doing it and it's just a case of the small percentage being silly enough to get caught. I know Bradley Wiggins is the golden boy of British sport right now but it wouldn't surprise me if he's on drugs. I hope he isn't and I hope Armstrong never took drugs but sport has made me very cynical over the years.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:34 am

The guy used to prepare meticulosly for the TDF i remember seeing him in photo's riding stages in the snow with bruyneel his team manager in the car,so it's strange that he would do all that then rely on drugs. I don't believe the accusations the guy is still a hero in my eyes.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:48 am

The yanks anti doping authorities appear to be after him for years and their legal system of elected official's promotes celebrity cases more than the rest of the world put together. I will be gutted if he was doping as I believed in him, I read two books ("its not about the bike" made me buy a bike) and thought the bloke to be heroic.

He was riding in a time of mass doping though and the UCI and French authorities had neglected their duty to the public in "protecting the sport". There was a quote in this years TDF coverage that this year the riders were riding some of the big mountains 15 mins slower than a decade ago........

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:34 pm

BIG_BAD_WOLF wrote:Stripped of all 7 of his titles despite the fact he has never failed a drugs test. In my opinion, one of the greatest athletes that has ever lived.

For those who care, here is his statement regarding his decision to not fight the charge.

http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/l ... st-23-2012

most famous person i ever met probably, bumped into him outside a bar in new york, i was a bit pissed and didn't know who he was. on my children's eyesight this is a true story. got chatting and asked him " how does it feel like that your dad was the 1st man on the moon " :lol: .he was not f*cking happy, even though i was being sincere. his bodyguard came over thinking i was taking the piss, i said to him sorry m8, i didn't realize he rode a push bike, i thought he was Neils lad. felt a right cock :D