Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

University?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:01 am

Is anyone thinking about going to Uni to study IT?

I did that and got a degree. But before you consider doing the same thing, my advice would be not to bother. I've found over the years that you are by far better off by doing the Mircosoft and Cisco etc exams. They might seem expensive but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a degree. AND the most important thing is the fact that employers prefer those qualifications to the Uni one's.

This INCLUDES the Universities themselves!!! Yes they'll sell you a degree for a arm and a leg but when they recruit for posts at the University they give a preference to the Microsoft certified applicants. I even saw one Uni advertising an IT job and they specified that applicants must be Microsoft certified. If you'd just spend 4 years at that Uni getting an IT degree you wouldn't have been able to apply for that IT job they were advertising. Yet someone else who'd just spend 3 weeks doing a Microsoft Cert would have been able to apply and would have been given preference over that Uni's own graduating students.

So rather than spend 4 years building up massive debts, simply spend 3 weeks and no debts. Simples!

BTW, I am also Microsoft Certified.

Re: University?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:37 am

Thats good advice in general.My daughter went to uni some years ago and had some great advice from her english teacher.She said "Choose a proper subject and a good university and you won't go far wrong" I feel sorry for the endless stream of kids comming out of uni these days with a mickey mouse degree only to find it gets them a job in McDonalds and not much more as well as up to their neck in debt.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:57 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Thats good advice in general.My daughter went to uni some years ago and had some great advice from her english teacher.She said "Choose a proper subject and a good university and you won't go far wrong" I feel sorry for the endless stream of kids comming out of uni these days with a mickey mouse degree only to find it gets them a job in McDonalds and not much more as well as up to their neck in debt.

I presume English is a proper subject then? Phew :D

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Where do you recommend to start. I have been looking into this recently and there seems to be a lot of choice .

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:49 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:Thats good advice in general.My daughter went to uni some years ago and had some great advice from her english teacher.She said "Choose a proper subject and a good university and you won't go far wrong" I feel sorry for the endless stream of kids comming out of uni these days with a mickey mouse degree only to find it gets them a job in McDonalds and not much more as well as up to their neck in debt.

Why wouldn't it be? Am I not wrong in saying English Maths and Science are the most important subjects in school?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:52 pm

ninianblog.com wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:

Why wouldn't it be? Am I not wrong in saying English Maths and Science are the most important subjects in school?

As an English Literature student at Cardiff you'd be surprised at the amount of abuse it gets as a subject.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:54 pm

OhhhGa wrote:
ninianblog.com wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:

As an English Literature student at Cardiff you'd be surprised at the amount of abuse it gets as a subject.

I'm also studying an English Literature degree and I've found it one of the most interesting experiences in my life. It's a lot of hard work but worth it.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Very nice, where are you studying?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Across the road from you, uwic.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:07 pm

ninianblog.com wrote:Across the road from you, uwic.

I'm not there just yet, moving in 20th September :D

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 pm

If I was clever enough and had A levels I'd have studied astrophysics.