Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Robert Earnshaw

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:26 am

Interesting Annis. Is this one of the reasons that GJ later left our club?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:26 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:its not a managers job to hand out contracts to players. for a start, its not his money to offer!

you will be claiming he offered himself his own contract next

I'm not claiming anything fella, DJ was more than happy for RE to rejoin our club on his current contract, otherwise Rob wouldn't have come back, that's obvious.

As for your second point, DJ had PR [father Christmas] to thank for that.

but why should a manager care about how much wages a player earns? he tells the man upstairs who he wants to bring to the club and thats it, do you expect any manager to say " well i want this player, but his wages are high, so ill give it a miss"

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:29 am

All part of a budgeting process i guess.

I would imagine that MM is a bit more prudent where players wages are concerned, the exception being Craig.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:41 am

i give up :roll:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:00 am

Martyn1963 wrote:Earnie was on about £12K per week at Forest and before they released him they only offered him a contract around £6K per week to stay on ....... he left and I cant believe that CCFC paid him what they are !!!!

I think is was the major factor on Gethin Jenkins leaving, among other f**k ups but this was one of the biggest.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:14 am

paulh_85 wrote:i give up :roll:

Have you ever worked or managed a business where wages & cost control v a set budget were essential?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:

Have you ever worked or managed a business where wages & cost control v a set budget were essential?

Yes i have, & still do. All good manager need to know exactly what there pay roll consists of, who's on what etc.

Why do you think Malky's letting "certain" players leave, & wants other "high rollers" out as well?

MM knows full well what his wage budget is, & if he wants new players in, then players have to leave to accommodate the the wage bill.

Dave Jones might not have been bothered by this factor, but im pretty sure that MM is, after all, we are talking about about Cardiff City, not Manchester City!
Last edited by RICK+CCFC on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:

a football manager isnt running a corner shop mate :roll: somebody above him makes the bulk of the decisons where money is concerned.

Manager to Chairman : " i want to bring in X player... but he will cost 3m and 25k a week wages"

Chairman to Manager : " Fair enough, but thats all your budget, so no more players unless some leave"

Manager to Chairman: "thats fine with me "

now this isnt the same as DJ, or any other manager handing players stupid wages.

Ive read on here recently about Harry Rednapp getting the blame for whats going on at Pompey..... come on like!! :roll:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:31 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:

Yes i have, & still do. All good manager need to know exactly what there pay roll consists of, who's on what etc.

Why do you think Malky's letting "certain" players leave, & wants other "high roller" out as well?

MM knows full well what his wage budget is, & if he wants new players in, then players have to leave to accommodate the the wage bill.

Dave Jones might not have been bothered by this factor, but im pretty sure that MM is, after all, we are talking about about Cardiff City, not Manchester City!

are you seriously asking questions and then answering them yourself? :? :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:33 am

^^^^I notice your last post has been edited. ;)

But i'll ask the question again, have you ever managed a business?
Last edited by RICK+CCFC on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:34 am

no it hasnt :?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:58 pm

On reflection paul, you might be right, but i still feel that a players wage cost is a big issue at our [& most other] club now, otherwise we would have signed that player from Coventry a few weeks ago. I'm sure i remember his wage MM thinking his demands as being over the top.

As for the original post, i was one of the many who thought that Rob Earnshaw's return was a good move for us, but there was also an equal amount of others who were sceptical & didn't think it would work out as well.

I believe that MM has assembled a half decent squad at the moment, but i also think that any talk of further acquisitions to the squad will surly be reliant on the moving out of other "fringe" players, & most notably RE & KD are the ones that stand out.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 pm

He needs to go on loan. I'd much rather Earnie than Rudy though. He's decent coming on as a sub but now that we have Helguson, Velikonja and Smith, it's going to be hard for him to even make the bench.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:35 am

Rick, if you have managed employees and budgets then you will obviously be aware that trying to get rid of an employee to another company, and expecting that employee to take a significant pay cut, just because youve decided you dont them anymore is pretty f*cking impossible.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:11 am

Mario Polotelli wrote:Rick, if you have managed employees and budgets then you will obviously be aware that trying to get rid of an employee to another company, and expecting that employee to take a significant pay cut, just because youve decided you dont them anymore is pretty f*cking impossible.

Agreed, but that was not my relevant point, my point simply was that in order to bring in a new player then an old one, one especially on high wages has to leave in order to work to budget.

F**k me, i only contributed to this thread doubting Dave Jones lack of knowledge on what one of his new players wages would be.

Well may be he didn't know, just like he didn't know that certain of his players [allegedly] were on the piss a couple of days before a key home game.

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:19 am

[quote="RICK+CCFC"]

Agreed, but that was not my relevant point, my point simply was that in order to bring in a new player then an old one, one especially on high wages has to leave in order to work to budget.

quote]

Talk about stating the bloody obvious :lol:

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:27 am

Mario Polotelli wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:

quote]

Talk about stating the bloody obvious :lol:

:lol: Yes, i know, but would you expect either Dave Jones or Malky Makay not to know how much each of their players earned?

Another point of interest, if Dave Jones had stayed another season [ Rob Earnshaw is testimony to him thinking that he would have], then would Jay & Chopra still have left our club?