Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What formation should we play?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Away games I would play a 4-5-1 and play Cowie on the right to give us that bit of stability with one of Mason, Helguson or Velikonja up front. But in Home games we need to be a lot more positive and really go for it in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 formation.

Granted I would prefer to play a 4-3-3 because this lets us accommodate our key man - Whitts. As good a player Whitts is we all know he can't hack it in a 2 man midfield. When we play a 4-4-2 maybe that would be a good time where we can rest Whitts and recharge his batteries.

When we play at home we got the quality of players to really hurt teams. Playing in a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 we can really tear teams apart in this division. Although Marshall has been in top form the first two games two clean sheets in two games is not to be sniffed at and the defence was brilliant last night. No doubt I think Brighton and Huddersfield will be around the play offs somewhere this season as well.

Playing a 4-3-3 at home would allow us to play Whitts and playing a 4-4-2 would mean we would probably lose Whitts but could have an extra man upfront.

Home:

4-3-3:

Midfield 3: Gunnar, Whitts and Mutch (Arguably our strongest central midfield)

Front 3: Bellamy, Mason and Bo Kyung

4-4-2:
This is where would have to lose Whitts to add a bit of steel.
I would probably go for a Midfield 4 of: Bellamy, Mutch, Kiss and Conway

Front 2: Mason and Velikonja - Both looked really sharp last night and Mason seems like he can link with anyone!

Away:

When we're away from home would be good to play a 4-5-1 and try and control the midfield like we did last night against Brighton although the game was end to end for long times we kept hold of the ball really well.

4-5-1:

Midfield 5: Bellamy, Whittingham, Mutch, Gunnarsson and Cowie

I have gone with Cowie because although he is not a wide player he does give us that defensive bit in the midfield and help us keep hold of the ball more. If Cowie wasn't fit I would go with Bo Kyung or Ralls.

Upfront: Helguson - Leaps like a salmon and has showed in the past and in his few games for us he can hack it up top on his own. Quality signing imo and when he is upfront on his own this season he will get the goals! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: What formation should we play?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:36 pm

anything but 4-5-1

4-3-3 when kim bo arrives

marshall
mcnaughton turner hudson taylor

mutch gunnurson whitts

kim bo/mason helgurson bellamy

Re: What formation should we play?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:58 pm

if we have 2 up front it would be the best decision imo because if malky keeps playing the long ball, helguson would have someone to knock it down 2 rather than chasing it!