Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DEAL DONE: CONNOLLY SIGNS FOR CITY

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:10 pm

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/New ... 09,00.html :ayatollah:

Cardiff City are pleased to announce that Matthew Connolly has joined the Club from Queen's Park Rangers, following the completion of his medical and paperwork on Wednesday morning.

Defender Matthew - who is comfortable playing anywhere across the back four - joins on a three year deal for an undisclosed fee. He is expected to link up with his new team-mates on Thursday as the squad prepares for Saturday's visit to Bristol City.

A former Arsenal youngster, 24 year-old Matthew signed for Rangers in 2008 after impressive loan spells at Bournemouth and Colchester. He featured prominently in QPR's 2010/11 Championship promotion season, before joining Reading on loan towards the end of the 2011/12 campaign and helping them to the top flight.

More on Matthew's transfer here later on Wednesday

Re: DEAL DONE: CONNOLLY SIGNS FOR CITY

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:10 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:12 pm

didnt realise he could play right back or left back :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 pm

So does this mean the end of Darcy on the bench or will both be there ?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:So does this mean the end of Darcy on the bench or will both be there ?

Let's hope not, strength in depth is essential for a promotion campaign

Great signing :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Good Signing... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Played alot of games for a 24 yr old... Good signing.. will def offer competition for the current set, which is always healthy

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Afternoon chaps, well looks like QPR have become your feeder club! :D Just to let you know my thoughts on Matthew Connolly. What Cardiff has bought is a very decent individual and without doubt a talented footballer.I have met Matthew on a few occasions and he is certainly not one of your average footballers, very shy and retiring individual, certainly will not be on the lash at 2 o'clock in the morning in the centre of Cardiff. A real opposite to Michael Chopra. As a footballer, he is cultured, certainly for the Championship and has a footballing brain.............but, he can lose his confidence very quickly if he is up against a strong forward and will struggle to dominate such opposition causing him to become hesitant. A case in point was your second goal against us in the 2-2 draw at the CCS in April 2011. Hopefully Malky, being a no-nonsense centre-half in his time can teach him a few extra tricks as I for one would love to see him make a real success of his career, because you know he will always appreciate his fortune in being a professional footballer.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:43 pm

DWQPR wrote:Afternoon chaps, well looks like QPR have become your feeder club! :D Just to let you know my thoughts on Matthew Connolly. What Cardiff has bought is a very decent individual and without doubt a talented footballer.I have met Matthew on a few occasions and he is certainly not one of your average footballers, very shy and retiring individual, certainly will not be on the lash at 2 o'clock in the morning in the centre of Cardiff. A real opposite to Michael Chopra. As a footballer, he is cultured, certainly for the Championship and has a footballing brain.............but, he can lose his confidence very quickly if he is up against a strong forward and will struggle to dominate such opposition causing him to become hesitant. A case in point was your second goal against us in the 2-2 draw at the CCS in April 2011. Hopefully Malky, being a no-nonsense centre-half in his time can teach him a few extra tricks as I for one would love to see him make a real success of his career, because you know he will always appreciate his fortune in being a professional footballer.

like the sound of this lad. :ayatollah: CCFC