Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Remember Thornaby

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 am

Any of the old uns remember the stays at the Thistle Hotel in Thornaby in the 70's. The Supporters club used to stay there whenever we played any of the North East Clubs. We used to travel up on Saturday, watch the game and then get well and truly drunk on Saturday night. In the morning up for a full a English and a pub stop on way home.

One year we had to detour via the hospital on way home as one guy fell and banged his head in his bathroom. I still see that guy.
Those where the days

Re: Remember Thornaby

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 am

welshden wrote:Any of the old uns remember the stays at the Thistle Hotel in Thornaby in the 70's. The Supporters club used to stay there whenever we played any of the North East Clubs. We used to travel up on Saturday, watch the game and then get well and truly drunk on Saturday night. In the morning up for a full a English and a pub stop on way home.

One year we had to detour via the hospital on way home as one guy fell and banged his head in his bathroom. I still see that guy.
Those where the days

I remember them well, i was the travel officer for the supporters club, i was the one who arranged the trips, great trips, i meet a lassie from thornaby on one of the trips in 1979, (the last game of the season when we beat sunderland 2-1 to stop them going up and we saved ourselves from relegation) went out with her for a couple of years after that before we went our seperate ways.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:50 am

cityone wrote:
welshden wrote:Any of the old uns remember the stays at the Thistle Hotel in Thornaby in the 70's. The Supporters club used to stay there whenever we played any of the North East Clubs. We used to travel up on Saturday, watch the game and then get well and truly drunk on Saturday night. In the morning up for a full a English and a pub stop on way home.

Those where the days

I remember them well, i was the travel officer for the supporters club, i was the one who arranged the trips, great trips, i meet a lassie from thornaby on one of the trips in 1979, (the last game of the season when we beat sunderland 2-1 to stop them going up and we saved ourselves from relegation) went out with her for a couple of years after that before we went our seperate ways.

Remember that game at the old Roker Park. Wish I could go back in time sometimes to see if they were actually as good as the memories. Well done by the way for organising such good trips

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 am

Is that the hotel near Middlesboro? Remember the "incident" in the chip shop one game. Next time we went there the local kids were all waiting as they reckon they had loads of money (falling out of pockets) and chips as a result. They were hoping for more of the same.
There was a wedding one time and the coach driver was hammered (threw shoes/pots out ofthe window). They blamed us as we were football fans, then the coach driver admitted it was him.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:00 am

glas wrote:Is that the hotel near Middlesboro? Remember the "incident" in the chip shop one game. Next time we went there the local kids were all waiting as they reckon they had loads of money (falling out of pockets) and chips as a result. They were hoping for more of the same.
There was a wedding one time and the coach driver was hammered (threw shoes/pots out ofthe window). They blamed us as we were football fans, then the coach driver admitted it was him.

Yes it was, the hotel was called "golden eagle hotel" in thornaby, just outside middlesboro.