Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

time for 4-4-2 ?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:46 am

Ok its not a bad start with 4 points from 2 games but I rekon its time to start scoring.We need 2 strikers up front espeacially at home.

marshall
kev hudson turner taylor
conway gunnar whitts bellers
helgarson velikonja

We need chances to score goals and goals bring confidence.Our back 5 looks pretty solid,so lets have a go at the opposition.

Re: time for 4-4-2 ?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:55 am

I think we need Width & pace so we can stretch teams, I also think Helgarson is too old to be upfront on his own..

4-5-1 works great with the right players..

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 am

marshall

kev hudson turner taylor

kim whitts mutch gunnerssnon bellamy

maynard

i think this 451 will work

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:43 am

Yes please, when we played 4-4-2 under DJ we played with flair and killed teams off by scoring plenty of goals in a match. Last season and again the first two of this season we do not look like scoring 3/4 goals to kill teams off.

4-5-1 wold be a decent formation to play away but its a bit negative playing with that formation at home (e.g against bottom 3 teams last season). It would be nice for MM to mix it up and change the formation occasionally. Teams seemed to have us worked out as we seem very predictable.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:27 am

4-4-2 at home but 4-5-1 away. We've got 4 points from 2 games so the current system isn't failing especially because the games have been against a spirited newly promoted side that played 10 players in their own half all game and then a Brighton side who are capable of beating anyone at home.

I would like a 4-4-2 at home though. Maybe...

GK: Marshall
DR: McNaughton
DL: Taylor
DC: Hudson
DC: Turner
MR: Bellamy
ML: Kim Bo-Young
MC: Whittingham
MC: Gunnarsson
FC: Helguson
FC: Velikonja/Mason or another striker we can bring in. Love the shouts of Maynard

I think Helguson has received some harsh criticism. He's the best aerial battler we've had in years and it's just unfortunate he's not had anyone on the end of the nods down up front with him.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 am

A few goals will chill everyone out but I think the Bristol City game is going to be tight too.

Cant see Malky shifting from 4-5-1 any time soon.

I hope to see Velikonja and Conway get more game time. Also, we've got Kim Bo Kyung to arrive :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 am

Not for me.

Don't get me wrong football can be made a simple game with 4 defenders, 2 central midfielders, 2 wingers and 2 strikers.

But this doesn't happen for us & hasn't for years. And the reason for this is Whitts for all the good he is, is not strong enough in the middle of a 4-4-2 against a 5 man midfield, and not effective enough out wide left (and Bellers has decided that's going to be his position now.)

So we need a 5 man midfield to counter every team who comes down & plays the same otherwise we get swamped.

Again - I'm not disagreeing for the sake of it - I would love to play 2 up top. But we can't not with Whitts in the side. And this has been proved time & again over the years.

The full back problem is the main issue for me - not the formation!!!

:ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 am

BobBankLoyalist wrote:Not for me.

Don't get me wrong football can be made a simple game with 4 defenders, 2 central midfielders, 2 wingers and 2 strikers.

But this doesn't happen for us & hasn't for years. And the reason for this is Whitts for all the good he is, is not strong enough in the middle of a 4-4-2 against a 5 man midfield, and not effective enough out wide left (and Bellers has decided that's going to be his position now.)

So we need a 5 man midfield to counter every team who comes down & plays the same otherwise we get swamped.

Again - I'm not disagreeing for the sake of it - I would love to play 2 up top. But we can't not with Whitts in the side. And this has been proved time & again over the years.

The full back problem is the main issue for me - not the formation!!!

Fair play mate, all valid points. However, I'm not totally sure the full backs are the issue entirely. Yes, Taylor's defending and McNaughton's crossing leaves a lot to be desired but they aren't helped by a lack of protection from the wide midfield men.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 am

no we need to play 4-3-3 when we get kim

RB: McNaughton
CB: Hudson
CB: Turner
LB: Taylor

CM: Gunnarson
CDM: Mutch
CM: Whittingham

RW: Kim Bo-Kyung
ST: Helguson/ Velikonja
LW: Bellamy

Subs
Lewis
Blake
Connoly
Kiss
Cowie
Conway
Velikonja/Helguson

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:37 am

all good responses,but it seems we need a new frontman (maynard)!!

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:55 am

if we didnt exspect our fullbacks to give us our width they could just do there defencive duties and would not need protection from our wingers/midfielders ....malky needs to pick players in there positions and they should stick to there duties ... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:58 am

We have got the players to play 433.

Why do we need to be so defensive with the attacking players we have?

No faith in the defence?

We also have solid defensive midfielders.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:09 pm

I see 451 when haven't got the ball becoming 433 when we have with Bellamy and kimbo both having Great work ethic could work?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I'd love to see this

Marshall

kev hudson turner taylor
gunnarsson
kimbo whitts bellers
helguson
velikonja

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:57 pm

thomas9990 wrote:no we need to play 4-3-3 when we get kim

RB: McNaughton
CB: Hudson
CB: Turner
LB: Taylor

CM: Gunnarson
CDM: Mutch
CM: Whittingham

RW: Kim Bo-Kyung
ST: Helguson/ Velikonja
LW: Bellamy

Subs
Lewis
Blake
Connoly
Kiss
Cowie
Conway
Velikonja/Helguson

THIS. Although for me, Velikonja over Helguson every time. Velikonja works his socks off and has prooven his strength to hold up the ball against Newcastle in that pre-season friendly.