Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We need a goalscorer asap

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 am

35 year old helgusson ain't going to get them

Cummon Malky dip in the promised coffers - Maynard ?

Re: We need a goalscorer asap

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:06 am

Maynard would be brilliant, but to be honest I think we may have to settle for Tommy Smith, not really sure if he is the answer to our offensive problems but since he can play striker or right wing he will certainly give us another option.

But on the flip side of the argument do we really want a half hearted Tommy Smith?? He's 32 and probably past his best, with Kimbo coming in giving us an extra midfield option I can't see smith even getting in the team, he's only 5ft 10' so he can't really be used as a target man either.

Save the money Malky, let's look elsewhere.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:24 am

Mr Moo Cow wrote:35 year old helgusson ain't going to get them

disagree we got the goal scores but its the service and set up we play that makes this stand out most, for a start we always play defensivve for and smash longballs i lost count of them friday vs huddersfield and lastnight the commentary team said it enough times for me to pull the last stand of hair on my head out i would get it if we was picking second balls up on the drop down off there defensive headers from these long balls but we aint. Nothing to do with the strikers if the service does not come from behind them it will make no diffrence whos up there chasing shadows. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:30 am

with the addition of Kim perhaps Malky with change the habit of a lifetime and try 4-4-2 ?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:56 am

bluebird1977 wrote:

disagree we got the goal scores but its the service and set up we play that makes this stand out most, for a start we always play defensivve for and smash longballs i lost count of them friday vs huddersfield and lastnight the commentary team said it enough times for me to pull the last stand of hair on my head out i would get it if we was picking second balls up on the drop down off there defensive headers from these long balls but we aint. Nothing to do with the strikers if the service does not come from behind them it will make no diffrence whos up there chasing shadows. :ayatollah:

You are corrrect in that we do have goalscorers but none of our front men are going to get you 20 plus in a season. We desperately need a frontman who is capable of this and yes it will cost a bit but a 20 plus player does not come cheap. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 am

bluebird1977 wrote:

I disagree with this sorry, listening to the game last night on cc player and hearing the commentry on sky sports news cardiff should have been ahead twice with helguson missing an easy chance the first half and velikonja second half, so the chances WERE there they just couldnt finish

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 am

Why are so many posters obsessed with having a 20 goal a season striker?
Of the promoted sides last season, only Southampton had a striker who scored 20 goals. Reading's top scorer was Le Fondre with 12 goals and Carlton Cole was West Ham's top scorer with 14 goals.
We have plenty of players in the team capable of scoring, what is crucial surely, is creating enough meaningful chances so that someone scores!

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 am

DITH80 wrote:Why are so many posters obsessed with having a 20 goal a season striker?
Of the promoted sides last season, only Southampton had a striker who scored 20 goals. Reading's top scorer was Le Fondre with 12 goals and Carlton Cole was West Ham's top scorer with 14 goals.
We have plenty of players in the team capable of scoring, what is crucial surely, is creating enough meaningful chances so that someone scores!

le fondre scored 12 goals despite joining in january, and cole started many games from the bench. Both most probably would have score in or around 20 if first choice for the whole season.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 am

DITH80 wrote:Why are so many posters obsessed with having a 20 goal a season striker?

but west ham also scored in excess of 80 goals, soton the same birmigham and blackpool 78 & 79 respectively... our goal difference was only +13 , whereas the others were a lot higher in the +20's and +30's and it makes a difference..

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 am

Lets give it some time guys, judge after 10 games, not 2

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am

We have got a proven 20+ per season goal scorer his name is Robert Earnshaw :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:02 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:We have got a proven 20+ per season goal scorer his name is Robert Earnshaw :ayatollah:

:lol:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:13 am

cakey-8t7 wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

I disagree with this sorry, listening to the game last night on cc player and hearing the commentry on sky sports news cardiff should have been ahead twice with helguson missing an easy chance the first half and velikonja second half, so the chances WERE there they just couldnt finish

try Earnie

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 am

If we are serious about getting to the prem then a 20 plus striker is a must have requirement.None of our present crop seem capable. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 am

your right, 2 games and they are incapable :roll:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 am

We've just spent like £2m on Velikonja?

What about Joe Mason?

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:52 am

Gavlar wrote:with the addition of Kim perhaps Malky with change the habit of a lifetime and try 4-4-2 ?

I'm Sticking with my guns in my above quote, don't let me down Malky

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:03 am

We won't get promotion with Helgusson up front, he's a good player but he is 35 lacks pace & movement..We need someone like Maynard, Helgusson would make a good impact player from the bench

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:29 am

ITS BEEN 2 GAMES! The midfield haven't gave our strikers any chances!

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:44 am

I personally believe we don't need anymore players, perhaps one more full back who can play both LB/RB. Our only problem is creating the chances and that used to be our strong point! Teams seem to have us sussed out now so we need to mess around with the formation abit.

We have the quality to get out of this league.

In Malky We/I Trust. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:55 am

Agree. All good teams can score goals at any position.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Gavlar wrote:with the addition of Kim perhaps Malky with change the habit of a lifetime and try 4-4-2 ?

I'd have alot more confidence about us if Malky played 44 2