Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

4 points and 2 clean sheets from 2 games.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm well happy with that

Re: 4 points and 2 clean sheets from 2 games.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:44 pm

brithdirblue wrote:I'm well happy with that

good point, agree, but also 1 goal scored in two games

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Great point away to Brighton. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:46 pm

me to but only half a dozen shots on target in two games though that was are downfall last season after jan we could go three games with 6shots on target. my only concern is breaking teams down to get shots off. Things will get better i can feel it :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:47 pm

i'm very happy with the clean sheets,bring on the worzels

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:53 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:

me to but only half a dozen shots on target in two games though that was are downfall last season after jan we could go three games with 6shots on target. my only concern is breaking teams down to get shots off. Things will get better i can feel it :ayatollah:

agree, we are struggling to break teams down... hopefully when kimbo comes, he likes to get the ball down and run at people, lately i havnt seen anyone skip past a player and create space...

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Two clean sheets - can't ask for more than that. Our attacking prowess will come but Malky has time to have a tinker and assess everything. Well done City. Good point tonight

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

agree, we are struggling to break teams down... hopefully when kimbo comes, he likes to get the ball down and run at people, lately i havnt seen anyone skip past a player and create space...

I got a funny feeling we could see 3-5-2 this season from MM also :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Impressive.

All I've heard all week is we need a footballing cb and better fullbacks.
I think the midfield although good enough need I up there game

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:59 pm

we are proving difficult to beat, and are pretty rock solid, thats 13 league nows without defeat, however its also our 7th draw..

while we are good at defending where previously we wasnt under dj, we have gone the opposite infront of goal... playing 1 striker is not creating enough, we need to play with 2 strikers... with the 7 subs rule this yr, we should have plenty of options to tighten up if the 4-4-2 isnt working...

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Win games at home and whatever point away is a bonus.
2 Clean Sheets.. Marshall top form.. Defence putting everything into it..
Hopefully we have worked on the defence a bit more then the attacking will full into place.
A good win is needed a comfortable one to get us going..
44 games to go! :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:we are proving difficult to beat, and are pretty rock solid, thats 13 league nows without defeat, however its also our 7th draw..

while we are good at defending where previously we wasnt under dj, we have gone the opposite infront of goal... playing 1 striker is not creating enough, we need to play with 2 strikers... with the 7 subs rule this yr, we should have plenty of options to tighten up if the 4-4-2 isnt working...

I still don't think the mix is right in midfield but we have the players when they click.
A good team is built on a solid base. I'm hopeful it will come together.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Ban him! To positive on a negative board! :old: :lol:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:we are proving difficult to beat, and are pretty rock solid, thats 13 league nows without defeat, however its also our 7th draw..

I still don't think the mix is right in midfield but we have the players when they click.

good point, ive been trying to think of what would offer the best balance in midfield, in my opinion cowie should start on the bench, excellent fitness levels and work rate, but lack of quality. i would also say its difficult to start with mutch but i havnt seen enough of him yet.. also what does gunnarsson offer us apart from a generally steady performance, i havnt really witnessed any pure game changing moments and im not really sure where his best position is, whether infront, behind or alongside whitts... maybe im expecting too much from them, but it seems malky has his 3 favorites in cowie, whitts and gunnarsson and picks them on morale rather than by performance.. its then left for the rest to battle for the remaining place out of mason, bellers, kiss, mutch, kimbo,conway etc...

in malky i trust, but it wouldnt hurt to give players a rest if they are not performing well ...

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 pm

I have said it before but if we continue to take 4 from every 6 pts we will be looking at auto promotion .
Mind you , saying it is much easier than doing it ;)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:29 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

good point, ive been trying to think of what would offer the best balance in midfield, in my opinion cowie should start on the bench, excellent fitness levels and work rate, but lack of quality. i would also say its difficult to start with mutch but i havnt seen enough of him yet.. also what does gunnarsson offer us apart from a generally steady performance, i havnt really witnessed any pure game changing moments and im not really sure where his best position is, whether infront, behind or alongside whitts... maybe im expecting too much from them, but it seems malky has his 3 favorites in cowie, whitts and gunnarsson and picks them on morale rather than by performance.. its then left for the rest to battle for the remaining place out of mason, bellers, kiss, mutch, kimbo,conway etc...

in malky i trust, but it wouldnt hurt to give players a rest if they are not performing well ...

Haven't seem enough of Mutch either.
By the looks all Gunnar, Mutch and witts are good going forward also Mutch and witts are decent defensively (but witts is deeper). I feel certain they will be the 3 and MM is looking for them to work together as a 3 mixing it up, if it world it will be glorious but it's getting it to work.
We can be pretty certain Kim and bellers will be "wide".

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Last year we conceeded to 2 less goals than under DJ the previous year ... Hadly significant .

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:33 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Haven't seem enough of Mutch either.
By the looks all Gunnar, Mutch and witts are good going forward also Mutch and witts are decent defensively (but witts is deeper). I feel certain they will be the 3 and MM is looking for them to work together as a 3 mixing it up, if it world it will be glorious but it's getting it to work.
We can be pretty certain Kim and bellers will be "wide".

im hoping when kimbo arrives we do play with him and bellers wide, do we then need whitts, gunnarsson and mutch, maybe away from home yes, but at home id like to see if helgueson and velikonja can work.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Dicey wrote:

Last year we conceeded to 2 less goals than under DJ the previous year ... Hadly significant .

DJ had years and years of building.
MM had a couple of months and an entire squad to build.

This season we judge MM

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Dicey wrote:

DJ had years and years of building.
MM had a couple of months and an entire squad to build.

This season we judge MM

i agree again, but we need to make this midfield tick as individually they are technically superb, but collectively its not looking like its going to work...

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:48 pm

I feel it's a bit like tevez and Rooney when they played for united, very similar but when they clicked they were deverstating.... Othertimes struggled.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I feel it's a bit like tevez and Rooney when they played for united, very similar but when they clicked they were deverstating.... Othertimes struggled.

i suppose it also depends on the opposition, brighton were always going to tighten up tonight after losing at the weekend an knowing what we were bringing... i think we are going to have to grind results out this yr as teams will set up not to lose against us, rather than to look for the win..

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:10 pm

I doubt there will be many teams that take all 3 from Brighton, so a decent point I reckon. 2 tough games coming up so I reckon another 4 points will do very nicely. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:I doubt there will be many teams that take all 3 from Brighton, so a decent point I reckon. 2 tough games coming up so I reckon another 4 points will do very nicely. :ayatollah:

4 from the next 2 games would be great, but who would we rather the 3pts off, personally id rather beat the wurzel scum and take a draw off wolves.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:I doubt there will be many teams that take all 3 from Brighton, so a decent point I reckon. 2 tough games coming up so I reckon another 4 points will do very nicely. :ayatollah:

4 from the next 2 games would be great, but who would we rather the 3pts off, personally id rather beat the wurzel scum and take a draw off wolves.

I think it's important to get a home win myself.

Hudson mentioned about playing better away so they must have doubts, they need a home win against a big team like wolves. I fancy us to put on a performance against wolves as well.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Good question! I can see merits in both scenarios but know if we beat the wurzels then I'd want 3 against wolves as well as im greedy. Perhaps we need home wins at the moment to stimulate interest and get the fans together so if pushed ill go for a draw on sat on 3 against wolves.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:22 am

Its a great start, win our homes games and get any kind of points away from home, 2 clean sheets is great, the fire power will come and when it does god help the other sides who play us

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:21 am

Anyone would have taken that before we played those matches surely? Things will only get better from here once we start scoring!!

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:25 am

CityGent wrote:Two clean sheets - can't ask for more than that. Our attacking prowess will come but Malky has time to have a tinker and assess everything. Well done City. Good point tonight

I have to agree with Anthony, two clean sheets, 3pts at home and a good draw away to a strong Brighton team. Lets give Malky time to get the best out of this quality team.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 am

I think Malky knows this is a temporary, albeit good, side and that when Kim Bo-Kyung arrives things will be so much different - especially if we have another striker.

I photographed several of the South Korean games, during the Olympics, and he is so fast and essentially plays all over the pitch. I think Malky will play Bellamy on the left Kim on the right and Whittingham and Gunnarsson in the middle - but I would be equally happy with Conway on the left with Kim in a 3 man central midfield (plus 2 wingers) with one striker.

Things are going to get even more exciting when he arrives ;)