Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tommy Smith on the verge

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Just seen on Sky Tommy Smith on the verge of signing for City. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Tommy Smith on the verge

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:42 pm

apart from my personal feelings about him not being a good season, where does everyone else think he will fit into our side?

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:44 pm

paulh_85 wrote:apart from my personal feelings about him not being a good season, where does everyone else think he will fit into our side?

He'll sit next to Malky.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:45 pm

terrific :roll:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:46 pm

i wud personally prefer adam hammill from wolves

but wud be happy with smith a gd player that has been there & dun it b4 in the championship

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:46 pm

where the hells he going to fit in :o :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Strength in depth, its been a while since we've been able to have that. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:55 pm

MM can stick him along side the others in the middle of the pitch all playing center midfield while watching the ball get hoofed over his head :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:56 pm

ANOTHER quality squad addition with vast experience of both championship and top flight. Pity we couldn't sigh him a few years ago whilst he was at his peak - but Malky knows him well which was an important deal-clincher. When was the last time we had strength in depth like this? - if ever

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Everywhere else it's saying the deal is stalling... Or on hold ..as annis would say hhhmmmmmm!

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Another signing that I feel is no better than what we currently have

Please can we have Maynard ( not Bill)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:01 pm

marshall
Kev
Hudson
turner
Taylor
Kimbo
Witts
Gunnerson
Mutch
Bellamy
Helguson

Lewis, Blake, Connelly, Keinan, Mcphail, Kiss, Cowie, Conway, Mason, Ralls, Harris, Earnshaw, Gestede, Velikonja,

thats 25 players, strength in depth is good, but another full back and a striker, with earnie leaving, would be more than enough imo

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:04 pm

CityGent wrote:ANOTHER quality squad addition with vast experience of both championship and top flight. Pity we couldn't sigh him a few years ago whilst he was at his peak - but Malky knows him well which was an important deal-clincher. When was the last time we had strength in depth like this? - if ever

Problem is though mate the jury is out on whether Malky can use a big squad. Last season he made a small squad even smaller by alienating players like Keinan when beggars can't be choosers.

I thought this season would be different by by "Finding" a place for Cowie on Friday and woeful dithering with substitutions I wonder if Vinny's backing is wasted on him to a certain extent?

Want to be proved wrong though, just need him to stop picking his favourites and take the shackles off the team at home. :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:19 pm

bluebirds80 wrote:
CityGent wrote:ANOTHER quality squad addition with vast experience of both championship and top flight. Pity we couldn't sigh him a few years ago whilst he was at his peak - but Malky knows him well which was an important deal-clincher. When was the last time we had strength in depth like this? - if ever

Problem is though mate the jury is out on whether Malky can use a big squad. Last season he made a small squad even smaller by alienating players like Keinan when beggars can't be choosers.

I thought this season would be different by by "Finding" a place for Cowie on Friday and woeful dithering with substitutions I wonder if Vinny's backing is wasted on him to a certain extent?

Want to be proved wrong though, just need him to stop picking his favourites and take the shackles off the team at home. :ayatollah:

Some managers seem to work better with limited resources i agree. I couldn't believe there wasn't a place for Craig Conway on Friday and this tag of Malky having his favourites does seem to be sticking. Even though it was a friendly i would have kept the same side that destroyed Newcastle and given Bellamy the last 25 minutes or so. The passing and movement that day was fantastic - something we're more used to watching with City away from home. We have so many options this time but as you say, is Malky astute enough to make the most of it?

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:36 pm

CityGent wrote:
bluebirds80 wrote:

Some managers seem to work better with limited resources i agree. I couldn't believe there wasn't a place for Craig Conway on Friday and this tag of Malky having his favourites does seem to be sticking. Even though it was a friendly i would have kept the same side that destroyed Newcastle and given Bellamy the last 25 minutes or so. The passing and movement that day was fantastic - something we're more used to watching with City away from home. We have so many options this time but as you say, is Malky astute enough to make the most of it?

The jury's still out. I was accusing him of being tactically inept BUT we still won. Conway's the man down the right (or someone more adept at being a winger than Cowie), although Cowie is such a hard worker and I can see why MM wants him in his team. Two away games now which should show what we can do when we have more space. Let's wait and see.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:08 pm

bluebirds80 wrote:

I am coming to the same conclusion about Malkay in that it doesnt matter what size squad he has I dont think he will use the players at his disposal effectivley, playing Cowie out of position over Conway as an example.

SSN- Tommy Smith

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Sky sports news reporting Smith is on the verge of completing his move :ayatollah: