Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: City characters you remember

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:Over the years there have been many characters as city fans The one I remember from being a kid was the small guy who use to wear the plastic police helmet and stand outside the main gates at NP Can't remember his name and expect he has passed away now

what characters do you remember good and bad

Remember him well, he lived in the homes in Ely, the police use to take him back there after the game. :ayatollah:

I'm sure it's "spongey" your talking about Annis!?

Famous for singing at the Ely festival and leading the floats down heol trelai pretending to play a trumpet through his news paper in front of the brass band on carnival day lol

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Deckard wrote:The one and only Beefy, who has sadly passed away. He always went to games with Gwyn. He had brittle bones disease and was a terrific character He told me once how he had smacked a Wrexham fan with his crutch once in the disabled section of The Racecourse.

Beefy said to me once im sure gwyn and the boys only take me to some of these games incase they get chased so they can slow them down by wheeling me into the fuckers as they make their getaway :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beefy and gwyn together were funny as feck :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Some good propaganda in this thread. Fair play ! troops rallied !

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:27 am

the guy with the big side burns is called john he use to play football in victoria park on the big pitch in front of the tennis courts most weekends when i was a kid :old: :old: :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 am

Fat Dave ,Annis mate. Very funny guy and some of the story's he'd come out with ;)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:36 am

peg i think was from kent :old:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:36 am

peg i think was from kent :old:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:21 am

lostkid wrote:peg i think was from kent :old:

We called him peggy or peg leg, an absolute lunatic, he had no fear about him at all, i remember on about three different trips to millwall in the late seventys early eighties, a couple of millwall fans would come and stand in amoungst us until they were removed by the police, peggy used to go one step further, he would go right into the middle of all the millwall lads and on top of his voice shout out "Cardiff". I believe he passed away some time ago???

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:16 pm

cityone wrote:

We called him peggy or peg leg, an absolute lunatic, he had no fear about him at all, i remember on about three different trips to millwall in the late seventys early eighties, a couple of millwall fans would come and stand in amoungst us until they were removed by the police, peggy used to go one step further, he would go right into the middle of all the millwall lads and on top of his voice shout out "Cardiff". I believe he passed away some time ago???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: --------- real BLUEbird----------- by the sounds of him --------- R.I.P CCFC

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 pm

timdog80 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:Over the years there have been many characters as city fans The one I remember from being a kid was the small guy who use to wear the plastic police helmet and stand outside the main gates at NP Can't remember his name and expect he has passed away now

Remember him well, he lived in the homes in Ely, the police use to take him back there after the game. :ayatollah:

I'm sure it's "spongey" your talking about Annis!?

Famous for singing at the Ely festival and leading the floats down heol trelai pretending to play a trumpet through his news paper in front of the brass band on carnival day lol

No, that was Raymond who used to walk around with a clipboard a lot and ask for your name, saying he was doing a survey. Different bloke, plus I don't think he ever went to watch the City.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Yeah, I remember him. His name was Terry and he was a resident at Ely Hospital. A mate of mine from Grangetown worked at Ely Hospital for a while and they used to get complimentaries from the City. He gave me a call once, because he was taking a couple of residents to a match and I got in the Grandstand for free, pretending to be one of them! The things you do when you're skint!

:lol:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Chris Jones from beddau for me. Trying to sell match day mags. Hes a top bloke but proper bonkers!

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

could you imagine the police doing that today If thats what they did Dothan good on them

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

could you imagine the police doing that today If thats what they did then good on them

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

could you imagine the police doing that today If thats what they did then good on them

They certainly did and it wouldn't happen these days, because it's all about the money. Ely Hospital was on Cowbridge Road West and Ely police station was just a bit further on, so there would always be a van going that way, in those days.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 pm

cityone wrote:

Yes i used to see him when he got on the trains for games he was part of the 1927 group. He got arrested at Sheff United right in front of me for smacking the programme seller :lol: :lol:
But unfortunately i lost all respect i had for him when unfortunately i understand he committed suicide and took his kids with him :cry: :cry:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:
cityone wrote:

Yes i used to see him when he got on the trains for games he was part of the 1927 group. He got arrested at Sheff United right in front of me for smacking the programme seller :lol: :lol:
But unfortunately i lost all respect i had for him when unfortunately i understand he committed suicide and took his kids with him :cry: :cry:

That,s what it was, suicide, i thought he,d passed away but obviously didn,t know the details, very, very sad.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:31 pm

cityone wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:
cityone wrote:

That,s what it was, suicide, i thought he,d passed away but obviously didn,t know the details, very, very sad.
yes I wondered where he went. He was a fair bit older than me. I remember Being with him and a few others on sloper road heavily outnumbered . As soon as he started shouting at them and waving his walking stick , they gave us a few odd stares and we backed them up. He stood there laughing at them , calling them all sorts. Fooking nuts he was. Sad and shocking end

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 pm

I remember going back to the early 80's there was an old fella called Alphie Brooks who followed us all over the country. Also there was a nut case with a cockney accent who walked with a limp, I think his name may have been peg. He followed us & Wales everywhere, and got nicked in Russia whilst following Wales.