Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

City characters you remember

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Over the years there have been many characters as city fans The one I remember from being a kid was the small guy who use to wear the plastic police helmet and stand outside the main gates at NP Can't remember his name and expect he has passed away now

what characters do you remember good and bad

Re: City characters you remember

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:Over the years there have been many characters as city fans The one I remember from being a kid was the small guy who use to wear the plastic police helmet and stand outside the main gates at NP Can't remember his name and expect he has passed away now

Wotty always holding a carrier bag and the guy with huge side burns and bicycle clips on his jeans..
I remember the fella with the police helmet :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm

I remember the guy with the plastic Police Helmet as well :lol: Also what about the guy with the big sideburns with the pushbike, I think he still go's down there ? And of course the one and only Dai Hunt :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:49 pm

jinks-rct wrote:
Milkybarkid wrote:Over the years there have been many characters as city fans The one I remember from being a kid was the small guy who use to wear the plastic police helmet and stand outside the main gates at NP Can't remember his name and expect he has passed away now

Wotty always holding a carrier bag and the guy with huge side burns and bicycle clips on his jeans..

I am sure the guy with the side burns still goes or he did in the last few years anyway

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Anyone remember the two brothers in the Canton Stand Mid 90's, one skinhead one with longish hair.

Mad as a box of frogs.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Anyone remember the two brothers in the Canton Stand Mid 90's, one skinhead one with longish hair.

Mad as a box of frogs.

I used to go in the canton mid 90s must know them by sight

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:54 pm

His name was Terry!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:58 pm

One guy who use to get on my tit was in the bob bank in the 80s and every time the ref gave the first free kick of the match against the opposition, without fail he would shout Ref he is doing it all the time and then laugh and look around at the crowd to see if they were laughing with him

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Fusilier23 wrote:

His name was Terry!

What became of Terry ? He must have passed away by now. He wasn't young in the 70's !

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:59 pm

blue nile wrote:
Fusilier23 wrote:

His name was Terry!

What became of Terry ? He must have passed away by now. He wasn't young in the 70's !

I remember him in the 90s outside the canton..

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:03 pm

MillarFromTheHalfWayLine wrote:Anyone remember the two brothers in the Canton Stand Mid 90's, one skinhead one with longish hair.

Mad as a box of frogs.

How old were they?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:

I am sure the guy with the side burns still goes or he did in the last few years anyway

Can't remember his name but he used to be a binman for Cardiff Council and gave 500quid of his life savings to help sign Phil Brignull from Bournemouth. Think Durban paid a few quid and Craig Burgin of Curran Oil paid 5k of the 10k fee. Anyone confirm this or has 20 years of being on piss screwed my mind.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:12 pm

do you mean the Cole brothers from Tylorstown?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Can anyone remember an old chap with grey comb over hair ala Neil Kinnock, always used to wear a beige three quarter mack, looked mad and he was, remember seeing him pushing his bike through the bob bank terracing one match. :old:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Who remembers the cockney Peg with the fucked leg. Sure he was from down Millwall way. He had plenty of front and didn't give a f**k. Can't remember how he followed city. :old:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:44 pm

BIG FRANK , from lianrumney 70s,think he lived off burnham ave. ( tidy LAD) -------- first time i met him on the REAL( old grange END 70s) he came over with his hand out asking if i was HJS friend------- i SHIT a brick to be honest. :ayatollah: CCFC :lol: :old:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Milkybarkid wrote:
jinks-rct wrote:

Looks like Shadrack Dingle. Yeah he's still down there. :lol:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Fat. Frank the butcher boy, old B trooper. Good lad. Crap fashion sense . Used to be mad on status quo :lol:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Does anyone remember Gordon Yendall :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I stopped him getting banged up at Bristol City as he was about to glass a copper. Did he thank me did he fook :lol: :lol: :lol: The copper just froze in front of us with as many coppers as us so he would of been done. Last i heard was he moved to scotland. He must be about 70 now :o

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:00 pm

jinks-rct wrote:

Mad as a box of frogs.

How old were they?

Taking a guess Id say mid 30's?

Used to sit on the far right where the youngsters used to sing.

The skinhead brother was the first on the Bob Bank Terrace at the Millwall game.

Think his name was Georgey.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Couple of guys I remember and knew well were Freddie Burnell and Pongo from Ely both nutters

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Remember him well, he lived in the homes in Ely, the police use to take him back there after the game. :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Annis what was the story to cockney peg

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Remember a guy we use to call ET was nicked at Pompey for swinging on the cloak

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Does anyone remember Gordon Yendall :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I stopped him getting banged up at Bristol City as he was about to glass a copper. Did he thank me did he fook :lol: :lol: :lol: The copper just froze in front of us with as many coppers as us so he would of been done. Last i heard was he moved to scotland. He must be about 70 now :o

Yeah, if it,s the same one as i am thinking he is from ebbw vale/tredegar, i met him and his mates on the train going to one of my first away games in 1974 to orient, he was barking mad, always getting his dick out and flashing it about, i believe he now lives up here by me in edinburgh.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Does anyone remember Gordon Yendall :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I stopped him getting banged up at Bristol City as he was about to glass a copper. Did he thank me did he fook :lol: :lol: :lol: The copper just froze in front of us with as many coppers as us so he would of been done. Last i heard was he moved to scotland. He must be about 70 now :o

I no gordon,he was living back in tredegar,but think he moved back to scotland last year.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:44 pm

The guy with the dreadlocks who used to sell The Bluebird Jones fanzines. Really funny fanzine and still got a few :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:53 pm

scots bluebird wrote:The guy with the dreadlocks who used to sell The Bluebird Jones fanzines. Really funny fanzine and still got a few :ayatollah:

That's Mike Slocombe lives in Brixton, the Bluebird Jones Fanzine was brilliant, he now does a website called "Urban 75" well worth a look :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 pm

blue nile wrote:
scots bluebird wrote:The guy with the dreadlocks who used to sell The Bluebird Jones fanzines. Really funny fanzine and still got a few :ayatollah:

That's Mike Slocombe lives in Brixton, the Bluebird Jones Fanzine was brilliant, he now does a website called "Urban 75" well worth a look :ayatollah:

Cheers mate,will do :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 pm

The one and only Beefy, who has sadly passed away. He always went to games with Gwyn. He had brittle bones disease and was a terrific character He told me once how he had smacked a Wrexham fan with his crutch once in the disabled section of The Racecourse.