Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are Bristol city our biggest rivals?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Just having a debate over a beer and I say Bristol city he says the jacks.

Discuss.

Re: Are Bristol city our biggest rivals?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Canton stand baz wrote:Just having a debate over a beer and I say Bristol city he says the jacks.

Discuss.

Bristol C and Newport County in the 80's were our main rivals.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Canton stand baz wrote:Just having a debate over a beer and I say Bristol city he says the jacks.

Discuss.

Bristol C and Newport County in the 80's were our main rival.

It's not the 80s any more mate, however much you'd like it to be ;)

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:08 pm

To the younger generation of fans like myself I perceive the Jacks as our main rival, Bristol City are a rival to me but losing to the Jacks hurts more

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Discuss.

Judging by ticket sales for sat clearly not. Went to brizzle uni 98 - 2002 in the good old days when we could get the train to brizzle so wurzels always a big one for me. The restrictions over last decade have killed this game as a derby.

Think we sold 1500 for sat. 10 years ago that would have been our train mob !

Swansea these days. Have become more then an annoyance in last 10 years.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Deffo Bristol at the moment, they are our nearest league rivals anyway.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:12 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Discuss.

Ok then Bristol C, still are to me nowadays. :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Discuss.

Ok then Bristol C, still are to me nowadays. :ayatollah:

At least you get to play against them I suppose.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:14 pm

Bristol City to me, the jacks are just temporary banter :D

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:17 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:Bristol City to me, the jacks are just temporary banter :D

:lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:30 pm

The jacks! If we were in the same league as them and all the restrictions were taken away, there would be absolute carnage. You only have to look at what went on at a fukin horse race meeting last month to realise that the hatred between cardiff and swansea runs deep. if we were to get them in the fa cup this season and for some crazy reason the authority's decided to take away all restrictions, it would end up being carnage Our away match with bristol saturday will most probs pass with little or no incident even though the restrictions have mostly been taken away. Don't underestimated the rivalry of the south wales derby.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Discuss.

Being from Port Talbot, it's no contest, the Jacks every time , however, Bristol were more credible rivals, as we are similar sized clubs, closer in distance with the English v Welsh aspect thrown in. Also back in the day, they had a credible casual following, unlike the scruffs from down West. :lol:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:33 pm

I was brought up with both Bristol clubs as our rivals in the 70's that was until the Jacks joined us in the old div 2 up until that point their rivals were Newport County!

Bristol City hate us more than Rovers,
:old:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:37 pm

To me it's Swansea. Because when I became old enough to really take notice of football and know about things (2007) they began their 'transformation' into a bigger club (not big club, just bigger than before). And while I've been supporting they've mainly been in the same league as us fighting for the same prize so I value them more as rivals.
But if Swansea continue to succeed and we stay in the same division as Bristol they will be regarded as our main rivals, especially if they start to do well and their crowds go up :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 pm

I honestly think that the longer swansea are in the premier league lording it and we are in the championship playing second fiddle, the more the hatred will become on our part more than anything. Then when we do eventually meet again...whether it be in the fa cup, them coming back down to the championship or us getting promotion to the prem league, there will be a lot of pent up frustration and emotions being released lol

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:21 pm

As I work in Bristol these days,its safe to say if you support CCFC you will enter some form of combat mainly Pissheads who get all bitter about everything anti-welsh. From my experience they are a bunch of woofters :lol: I remember the days clubbing in swansea though, ending the night with a nice chicken kebab playing "ring of fire" off my nokia phone. All talk no action :) good times. So... from experience its Bristol for me

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:28 pm

Definitely, Swansea are now in a different stratosphere.

I'm sure Preston don't consider man utd rivals, Liverpool and tranmere etc

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Discuss.

bristol are ! always have been swans not rivals never have been just another club in wales!!!! :D

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Ali Yassine makes the point in his book that it depends on what era we started supporting the City. For me, late 60s, it has always been Bristol City. Living and working in Cardiff from 1976 to 2010, I saw Worzels on a daily basis. There is a big distribution centre in Avonmouth, and we would get supplies from there daily. Great banter with the drivers; mostly Bristol City, but a few Rovers as well. Never underestimate how much they hate each other :o Hardly ever saw any Swansea blokes, and those we did were egg-chasers.

Bristol is a big, confident, city, and probably looks down on Cardiff a bit. In my experience, Swansea people have a massive chip on their shoulders. Even when their team is wowing everybody in the Premier League, and winning 5-0 away, they seem to feel the need to come on here. Pathetic, frankly. The Worzels are just a bit more grown up. And besides, people in south Wales tend to look east, including us. Bring on Saturday :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:54 pm

The thing is, we have a choice of local rivals, the Jacks are stuck with us. ;) :D

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:56 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Ali Yassine makes the point in his book that it depends on what era we started supporting the City. For me, late 60s, it has always been Bristol City. Living and working in Cardiff from 1976 to 2010, I saw Worzels on a daily basis. There is a big distribution centre in Avonmouth, and we would get supplies from there daily. Great banter with the drivers; mostly Bristol City, but a few Rovers as well. Never underestimate how much they hate each other :o Hardly ever saw any Swansea blokes, and those we did were egg-chasers.

Bristol is a big, confident, city, and probably looks down on Cardiff a bit. In my experience, Swansea people have a massive chip on their shoulders. Even when their team is wowing everybody in the Premier League, and winning 5-0 away, they seem to feel the need to come on here. Pathetic, frankly. The Worzels are just a bit more grown up. And besides, people in south Wales tend to look east, including us. Bring on Saturday :ayatollah:

agree i never consider swans as rivals why would we?? non enteties except for last couple of years, now in premier they are just arrogant twats who are so far up their asses its unreal!!! :D

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Fairwater Youth wrote:I was brought up with both Bristol clubs as our rivals in the 70's that was until the Jacks joined us in the old div 2 up until that point their rivals were Newport County!

Bristol City hate us more than Rovers,
:old:

Ok mate don't know where that come from,I frigging hate and dispise that mob from north Bristol,at least Cardiff got a firm

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:41 pm

Classic thread already :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Just listening to talksport and some of the fans from BCFC consider us bigger rivals thab Bristol Rovers now. :D

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:57 pm

MayhillBoi wrote:Classic thread already :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah:

I'm sure I've met that girl in your avatar in Mayhill once? :o

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:59 pm

MayhillBoi wrote:Classic thread already :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah:

I concur , :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Yes ,Both of them .Bristol city have always turned up but I always thought rovers were a bit more game ;) Can't say the jacks because they turn up at 10 pm when every fucker has gone home or so they thought :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:41 pm

it's swansea for me, seen my first derby in 1980 the 3-3 draw at ninian park and i've despised them ever since, my hatred of bristol doesn't come anywhere close to my hatred of the jacks

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:50 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Discuss.

Things change over time, Stoke were our biggest rivals during the early noughties.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Discuss.

Things change over time, Stoke were our biggest rivals during the early noughties.

Indeed they do.