Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A QUESTION FOR CITYGENT/CARL

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Out of all the potential signings that have been named on this board, the one that has caught the eye of many of us is Nicky Maynard. Although Tommy Smith and other strikers named on here would be decent signings, I believe the capture of Maynard would be one of our best this summer (along with Bellers and Kim.) So the question I'd like to ask is simple, are we any closer to signing him or not?

Re: A QUESTION FOR CITYGENT/CARL

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Biggest problem is that Maynard is on 25k a week over 4 years. He would need a big pay off from Wet Spam to sign for us.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Compensation package between Maynard & West Ham, West Ham need to find a replacement, also remember that we are probably not the only club wanting him

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm

gwbluearmy! wrote:Out of all the potential signings that have been named on this board, the one that has caught the eye of many of us is Nicky Maynard. Although Tommy Smith and other strikers named on here would be decent signings, I believe the capture of Maynard would be one of our best this summer (along with Bellers and Kim.) So the question I'd like to ask is simple, are we any closer to signing him or not?

I'd say he's our number one target, but as said above there are some compensation issues Maynard and West Ham need to sort out first. We'll have a fight on our hands though - he'll have plenty of suitors

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:05 pm

i dont get why there are comp issues to sort out? its not normal for a club to pay off a player who gets sold. unless its the player himself saying pay me if you want me to leave?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 pm

any truth in us watching russell of dundee? and would we enter a bidding war? dont seem like a thing cardiff would do :ayatollah: times are changing

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:19 pm

paulh_85 wrote:i dont get why there are comp issues to sort out? its not normal for a club to pay off a player who gets sold. unless its the player himself saying pay me if you want me to leave?

I agree. Unusual but that's definitely the word

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:21 pm

paulh_85 wrote:i dont get why there are comp issues to sort out? its not normal for a club to pay off a player who gets sold. unless its the player himself saying pay me if you want me to leave?

This is what I was thinking?

If we are in to buy him, why the compensation?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:30 pm

the only logical explanation to me is that he doesnt really want to leave, so hes trying to force west hams hand

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Merlin wrote:

This is what I was thinking?

If we are in to buy him, why the compensation?

Because we couldnt afford or not prepared to give him 25k a week.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Can't work out why we did not go for him last season.

Bristol wanted 4m and West Ham paid 1.6m. We probably could not compete with their wages or MM did not see him as a sound signing. We be a great asset in this Division but I can't see us going for him. :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Biggest problem is that Maynard is on 25k a week over 4 years. He would need a big pay off from Wet Spam to sign for us.

Now Now Gareth !! :lol: :lol:

Anyway Nicky will get his opportunity .

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Sam Baldock would be a fine player for you. Just what you need. Great player with great attitude , eye for goal and plenty of pace.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Biggest problem is that Maynard is on 25k a week over 4 years. He would need a big pay off from Wet Spam to sign for us.

gareth he is on 35k a week

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:04 pm

steve davies wrote:

gareth he is on 35k a week

poor fucker. Wouldnt get out of bed for that......... :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:45 pm

ok simple maynard went wh for 2mil? but on 25k week? not required by wh doubt if premier team want him! so only thing to do is get wh to pay off his contract or a suitable amount! and then sign for champ side on proper wages (affordable) he got head turned by wh big mistake by him, hence reason to leave :D

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I guess they want him off the wage bill and with no one willing up math his wages they will have to come to some kind I pay off.