Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Brighton tomorrow from London

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:00 pm

What's the best way to get down there from London? Should I drive or take the train, I have heard that parking is a bit of a nightmare around there and that the trains out of there are also a nightmare. Anyone who did it last year have any tips on the best form of transport?

Re: Brighton tomorrow from London

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 pm

http://www.raileasy.co.uk/
http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/ ... tAodaQMiFA
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/p ... ney/search :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:What's the best way to get down there from London? Should I drive or take the train, I have heard that parking is a bit of a nightmare around there and that the trains out of there are also a nightmare. Anyone who did it last year have any tips on the best form of transport?

You'll be better off driving down and using the Park and Ride.

There are 3 that are used by Brighton (travel voucher apparantly in with the price of ticket).

Mill Road - BN1 8ZF
Lewes Road - BN2 4AT
Brighton Racecourse - BN2 9XZ

I've heard that Mill Road gets full pretty quickly, so I'd use one of the other 2.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:04 pm

KyleV wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:What's the best way to get down there from London? Should I drive or take the train, I have heard that parking is a bit of a nightmare around there and that the trains out of there are also a nightmare. Anyone who did it last year have any tips on the best form of transport?

There are 3 that are used by Brighton (travel voucher apparantly in with the price of ticket).

Mill Road - BN1 8ZF
Lewes Road - BN2 4AT

I've heard that Mill Road gets full pretty quickly, so I'd use one of the other 2.

There is a 22.33 train back from Brighton to London, my concern is geting the train from Falmouth back to Brighton to make this train as I have read that there is a long wait for trains with long queues. Anyone, done this journey and would I make it back in time?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
KyleV wrote:

Mill Road - BN1 8ZF
Lewes Road - BN2 4AT

There is a 22.33 train back from Brighton to London, my concern is geting the train from Falmouth back to Brighton to make this train as I have read that there is a long wait for trains with long queues. Anyone, done this journey and would I make it back in time?

Falmouth is in Cornwall!!

Hi,

People heading to London after the game normally go via Lewes (change there for Victoria). Generally less of a queue on the opposite side to the Brighton bound supporters. Check train times, last season Southern Rail normally held London bound trains at Lewes if a train full of supporters were heading to Lewes, next stop after Falmer.

P&R Mill Road is easiest to find coming from London, but gets full earlyish.

Lewes Road is next easiest to find and is nearest to the Stadium.

Racecourse is furthest away from London bound traffic but is not as well used as the previous two.

Having said all that, we have an additional 8,000 home supporters this season so the travel dynamics may change.

Enjoy the travel and the Amex but not the game. ;)

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:01 pm

seagullone wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:
KyleV wrote:

Mill Road - BN1 8ZF
Lewes Road - BN2 4AT

Hi,

People heading to London after the game normally go via Lewes (change there for Victoria). Generally less of a queue on the opposite side to the Brighton bound supporters. Check train times, last season Southern Rail normally held London bound trains at Lewes if a train full of supporters were heading to Lewes, next stop after Falmer.

Racecourse is furthest away from London bound traffic but is not as well used as the previous two.

Having said all that, we have an additional 8,000 home supporters this season so the travel dynamics may change.

Hi Matey,

Apologies, I took a punt with Falmouth without checking if that was actually the correct town!

Some one suggested parking at The Downs hotel, Woodingdean, free parking and they have a shuttle mini bus laid on. Have you heard anything about that option?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi Leytonstoneblue,

I'm an Albion fan and I live in London so regularly commute down.

Firstly, you only need to buy a return ticket to Haywards Heath. Your match ticket covers the rest of the journey from there.

Secondly you can go from London Bridge or Victoria to Brighton and change for Falmer.

However my tip would be to get the 17:23 from London Bridge to Lewes. Change at Lewes for Falmer. Also get on near the front of the train as this is closer to the bridge over to the other platform at Lewes. This way you avoid the crowds at Brighton station.

After the match there can be fairly long queues. I've often found having a pint in the ground is the best thing to do as I tend to do that and walk straight onto the same train I'd have got if I'd been standing outside waiting for to get on a train. You can drink in any of the concourses or go into either of the bars that are open after the match. One called Dicks Bar (after ex-Chairman Dick Knight) is by the club shop entrance and the other is in the East Stand (tends to be a bit easier to get into).

I usually do that, walk onto the 22:55 to Brighton and change for London Bridge, getting in at 00:21 just in time for the last tube. If you give it about 30/40 minutes you should walk straight onto a train. You can also go back via Lewes but I tend to go to Brighton as there are more trains going to London from there and if you have to wait there's shops to grab a drink etc.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
seagullone wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:
KyleV wrote:

Mill Road - BN1 8ZF
Lewes Road - BN2 4AT

Hi,

Hi Matey,

Apologies, I took a punt with Falmouth without checking if that was actually the correct town!

Some one suggested parking at The Downs hotel, Woodingdean, free parking and they have a shuttle mini bus laid on. Have you heard anything about that option?

re. The Downs, correct about the shuttle bus.

Not sure they cater for 'away' fans, if you are obvious!

Of course, it goes without saying you would have to patronise the pub, at least before the game to get the 'free' shuttle.

Do you need the address?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:Hi Matey,

I've never used that option but I know the pub as I used to play poker there. It's not far from the stadium so not a bad option. That said, if you're going to drive, Mill Road park and ride is probably your best bet as its right on the M23 junction so very simple to access and no confusion in terms of finding your way back home.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Turkey wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:Hi Matey,

I've never used that option but I know the pub as I used to play poker there. It's not far from the stadium so not a bad option. That said, if you're going to drive, Mill Road park and ride is probably your best bet as its right on the M23 junction so very simple to access and no confusion in terms of finding your way back home.

A23 junction ;)

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for info guys, especially the detailed train info from Turkey, that sounds like a good option having a pint in the ground after the game and then letting the crowds and queues go down a bit.