Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Andrew Taylor

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:52 pm

arggggghhhh i dunno my opinions on him! i'd like to know what others think, i think hes good left back, but i dunno if hes quick enough, or just does mcnaughton make him look slow :lol:

Re: Andrew Taylor

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:53 pm

ryanbluebird1 wrote:arggggghhhh i dunno my opinions on him! i'd like to know what others think, i think hes good left back, but i dunno if hes quick enough, or just does mcnaughton make him look slow :lol:

Both are fullbacks are not up to it and have not been since december last season, but there nobody there to take over equal or better or give them a kick up the ring so why would they need to worry :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:54 pm

He doesn't do much wrong + he's a solid defender who does his job well!!! :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:54 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
ryanbluebird1 wrote:arggggghhhh i dunno my opinions on him! i'd like to know what others think, i think hes good left back, but i dunno if hes quick enough, or just does mcnaughton make him look slow :lol:

Both are fullbacks are not up to it and have not been since december last season :ayatollah:

why havent malky got anyone new in then? confuses me..or just start Darcy and give him a try and give some competition see if they raise there game?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:56 pm

i think he is ok, but too comfortable knowing he is not being pushed for his place... to be fair, he is probably the best left back we have had for a few seasons but thats not difficult..

could give more in my opinion....

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:58 pm

I think it was clear that Bellamy was hoping his main channel of service would come through him and while Taylor can defend adequately, he's not a very good forward thinking full back and often found his passes through to Bellamy missing.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:59 pm

I think he does a good job, but he does lollop about the place. He has this walk and expression that makes him look like he don't care, but Im sure he does...

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:02 pm

I like him, and left back is a very hard position to fill.
He does get caught out from time to time but he is good going forward and has a good delivery.
He didn't link up to well with Bellamy but I think that was more to do with them doubling up on Bellamy and the space just not being available

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:09 pm

not good enough.

perosnally i wish we had kept paul quinn and played quinn on the right and moved kev to the left hand side.

Is it me or does Taylor always seem like he is totally shattered.

he looks like hes breathing through his arse from the 5th minute

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:42 pm

One negative he lacks strength.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:47 pm

Bellamy makes him look poor, Bellamy doesn't track back, Taylor's side is always left open, I think we should see Bellamy up front this season, understand how much we need him on the wing but unless we find full backs who are strong while the opposition hit us on the counter attack

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:52 am

Nice in the ball but can't defend to save his life

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:00 am

IMHO he gets beaten far too often.Doesn't get tight enough or go in hard enough.

Better going forward, but really outclassed on Friday by Hunt.

Funny but what Kev does well, Taylor does badly and vice versa.

Pity we couldn't clone them into a pacy, hard tackling committed full back who can also pass the ball :lol:

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:04 am

Ccfcjono wrote:He doesn't do much wrong + he's a solid defender who does his job well!!! :ayatollah:

I agree, 1 thing for me is he lacks pace & needs to get forward more

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:16 pm

I'd give Kiss and Cowie the FB roles.
Both of them are better on the ball.
Both of them can defend.
Both of them have good engines.

Then MM's love child can make the team every week and leave the wingers role to Kim/Conway/Bellamy/Harris.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Northamptonblues wrote:I'd give Kiss and Cowie the FB roles.
Both of them are better on the ball.
Both of them can defend.
Both of them have good engines.

The MM's love child can make the team every week and leave the wingers role to Kim/Conway/Bellamy/Harris.

:lol: :lol: The tactical 'nous' of our fans.

Anyway back in Reality. He will have to play with Bellamy ahead of him this season and as an attacking fullback that's really hard because Bellamy does less tracking back than most and that means he can get out numbered (think that everyone was slating Naylor during the 10-11 season).

A better balance would be Kim at LW and Bellamy on the RW. McNaughton is better defensively than Taylor so should cope better and Kim is more willing to track back.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Andrew Taylor lost his man on at least two occasions and almost cost us a goal. To me he looked unfit and towards the eiftar the game he was really puffed out. Going forward I don't think he linked up very well the likes of Bellamy and his decision making was hesitant resulting in him losing the ball on a few occasions. Very poor display against Hudderfield, the sooner Malky can get replacements for him and cowie the better.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:12 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:One negative he lacks strength.

No good in the air neither and not particularly quick. I think FB is our weakest position at the moment. :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:19 pm

I quite him and we haven't got any other options, other areas needed to be strengthened before the full backs, the thing i dont like about his play is the constant diagonal balls he keeps hitting which very rarely find their target.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:04 pm

I think he'll get stronger and his game will improve vastly now he's playing behind Bellamy.
You could see Bellers giving him instructions before kick off on Friday, letting him know what he wanted to happen.

If this continues, eventually they will build an instinctive understanding of eachother, and the left side of the pitch will be lethal!

imo of course..

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Really Tayls to be honest! :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:59 pm

class player you should be proud of.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 am

taylor had a vewry good season last year. was solid and consistant. Sure, he was pretty awful on friday, but i wouldnt judge him too harshly on one performance.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:19 am

Taylor is a quality left back :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 am

As already said, Taylor is good on the ball and distributes well, but his defending lets him down. He is too slow, not tall enough and not strong enough, plus he has concetration lapses making him get caught out of position. He also doesn't get tight enough to his man and lets too many crosses come in from his side. Middlesbrough played Taylor in midfield and I think there was a reason for that. Taylor is a midfielder, not a defender.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:As already said, Taylor is good on the ball and distributes well, but his defending lets him down. He is too slow, not tall enough and not strong enough, plus he has concetration lapses making him get caught out of position. He also doesn't get tight enough to his man and lets too many crosses come in from his side. Middlesbrough played Taylor in midfield and I think there was a reason for that. Taylor is a midfielder, not a defender.

just asking, how many times last season do you remember him being at fault for a goal? because im really struggling to think of any. he made a truly awful mistake in the second half friday, which probably should have led to a goal. but one bad game doesnt make a bad player.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:51 am

paulh_85 wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:As already said, Taylor is good on the ball and distributes well, but his defending lets him down. He is too slow, not tall enough and not strong enough, plus he has concetration lapses making him get caught out of position. He also doesn't get tight enough to his man and lets too many crosses come in from his side. Middlesbrough played Taylor in midfield and I think there was a reason for that. Taylor is a midfielder, not a defender.

just asking, how many times last season do you remember him being at fault for a goal? because im really struggling to think of any. he made a truly awful mistake in the second half friday, which probably should have led to a goal. but one bad game doesnt make a bad player.

I think it's fair to say Taylor was partially responsible for us conceding quite a few goals last season, mainly due to bad positioning and allowing the winger to cross too easily. The Middlesbrough right winger, who's name I can't remember and Matt Phillips in particular gave Taylor the runaround, although to be fair most left backs would have problems dealing with Phillips. I think Taylor is a decent player but I don't trust him defensively, I thought I was in the minority questioning his defensive ability but I've spoken to various people who all seem to think the same. Keep an eye on Taylor's positioning over the next few games and you will see he gives his man far too much space and he will allow him to run at him and cross the ball a good 7 times out of 10. I do rate Taylor as a footballer, but not his defending, but of course I will give him my full support when he's on the pitch just like any other player.