Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Peter Whittingham

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm not in the know but I have always had the feeling that it is Whittingham himself who has the preferance to play as the holding midfielder role.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:50 pm

If I recall correctly Whitts is one of the key players in the Ranson mortgage deal and unless there is some kind of deal with Ransom there is no sense in selling him on any financial terms
No sense in selling on any football basis.
Some people need to realise what we have here.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Mutch and Gunnarsson play in front of the defence.. Whittingham in front in a free role to create things.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:41 am

I kind of thing he plays outstanding when the teams playing well. But he doesn't take the game by the scruff of the neck. He shines with better players around him. That's why his best season was when we had a lot of stars for this league. Is hard to say we should sell him as he's renound for being the best player outside the prem. but think a team has to be build around him for him to shine, don't think he fits the Malky system, but Malky knows he is too good a player to lose.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:49 am

Malky cant get the best out of him the way Jones could

Using him all wrong

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:51 am

Whitts is a class player who has been played too deep by Malky, get him further forward.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:36 am

Forever Blue wrote:Whats your honest thoughts on him ?

Good player, Malky is trying to play the ball out from defence so has dropped him back to receive it, maybe like a Joe Allen role. This doesn't suit him yet, but he is such a good player, he probably will be able to adapt and do the job well. I prefer him further forward, threading the balls through and scoring himself behind a from two.....

But no matter what, Whitingham is class, he is doing a job for the team so never forget that :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 am

Frantic wrote:One of our best players. I've grown very frustrated with Malky insisting that he play so far deep. Like mentioned above, it's as if he's playing as a third centre back!

Use because he is trying to use him to play the ball out for us in a Swansea style, it is not his best position, but give him a few weeks, he will be able to adapt and do it. He is not looking his best, but is doing this job for the good of the team, so let's all cut him some slack.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:56 pm

The most loyal player in our clubs history, and one of the best.
No argument.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 am

Forever Blue wrote:Whats your honest thoughts on him ?

Goes quiet for huge parts of the season which dissapoints me, and just dwindles into thin air, even on a quiet day though he scores at least 10% of our goals from set pieces in one season