Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: WHATS THE WORST AWAY END YOU'VE EVER BEEN TOO

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Been to a few shit grounds, namely St. James' Park Exeter, Edgar Street Hereford, Somerton Park Newport County, Sincil Bank Lincoln City and Stamford bridge in the 80's sticks in my mind too a huge away end uncovered at the time some distance from the pitch it pissed down all afternoon and I think we lost 3-0. :(

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:43 pm

Turf Moor - Burnley's ground.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm

CCS. Horrendous Home and away!!!

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:28 pm

carrow road, before all seater, went there early 90's, in FA cup, penned into corner. yet i would rather go to any of the " shit grounds" mentioned on this thread than the sterile new stadia of today, they all look the same and the majority create shite atmospheres.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:31 pm

carrow road, before all seater, went there early 90's, in FA cup, penned into corner. yet i would rather go to any of the " shit grounds" mentioned on this thread than the sterile new stadia of today, they all look the same and the majority create shite atmospheres.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:47 pm

the dell southampton we were like sardines in it one year hereford in the seventies southend when they had a big open bank and no cover fecking freezing there are more but id be here all night naming and shaming them

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Torquay back in the early 90s. Not sure if it's improved but it was basically a few steps behind the goal but you could virtually touch the goal netting

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Northampton was shite, the old one with the cricket ground on one side

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 pm

1)Hereford( walking through a f*cking cattle market to get into it)
2) Ton Pentre (remember a brick wall like two feet from touchline that cohen Griffith had a few altercations with)
3) VETCH (like a drive through a f*cking third world country to get into ground)

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:46 pm

vetch field! couldnt go to loo so cramped and disgusting! whilst pubity stadium is ok its still small under the stands for food ect ect (been there so i know) premier standard (there having a laugh) :D
Last edited by pembroke allan on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:47 pm

wigans old ground, loads of weeds. broken concreate, and more green things growing on the terrace :lol:

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:50 pm

ninianblue wrote:wigans old ground, loads of weeds. broken concreate, and more green things growing on the terrace :lol:

Bury in the 70s was like that too.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah- remember that

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 am

ninianblue wrote:wigans old ground, loads of weeds. broken concreate, and more green things growing on the terrace :lol:

in the 80,s i went up with my wolves mate.great day.my mate missed the meet with the cannock wolves lads cos he was bladdered from the fri might so i said get to my house and bring a scarf.we got a lift to j11 m6 and i told him to put his scarf on so people coming on the m6 from wolves could see him.got a lift in mins and was in a club getting mashed in no time.went in the ground and all the lads who went on the train had been put in the ground at 1.00pm :lol: they were fuming :lol: kicked off with the police and they had horses on the grass bank.met a few lads from cannock who gave us a lift back so we were back in our local not long before 7.crazy end though.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:51 am

bunsen wrote:Barnet away late 90s. Temporary stand, no roof, rained all day. I think we drew.
Took the mrs cos it was valentines day. She were not impressed.
Made up for it by going to primal scream all nighter in Brixton in the night.
Great day

Best away end - elm Park FA cup tie early/mid 90s. Think we lost AET.

Went to Barnet a couple of times as I was living in North London in uni. Seem to remember an awful temporary stand as described with a corner area of terracing separated by a gate from the home fans.

I was at Reading too. Truly electric atmosphere. Carl Dale equaliser I think in the opposite end from our fans.

I'm pretty sure it was the same cup run but I also went to Slough Town away which would rate as one of the worst away ends. Absolutely pissing down with rain in a tiny open terrace behind the goal and I think we scraped a 1-1 draw.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:55 am

i think ashton gate, shit view, shit facilities, 3 portable toilets in total for all away fans...

f*cking shit hole!! ;)

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:25 am

Three worst Away Ends, in no particuler order for me Barnet, Exeter and Torquay, also Ashton Gate is shit as well .

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:35 am

hereford if you end up down the front its flat, hardly saw the game

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 am

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:i think ashton gate, shit view, shit facilities, 3 portable toilets in total for all away fans...

f*cking shit hole!! ;)

Should of went to macclesfield a good few years back then we had one portable for 1300 of us in the away end, the piss stench was over powering the weed and drink smell in the air :lol:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:47 am

porthsmouth rite shithole :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:51 am

Give me the shit away ends over todays indentikits anyday.

Northamptons cricket ground, Stockport, Darlo, Mansfield, Lincoln.etc. etc. Great days.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:37 am

Hereford - didn't know where the cattle market ended and the ground started.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:56 pm

blooobirds wrote:Any of the new plastic bowls :ayatollah:

Here here, give me back any of the grounds you have all mentioned over the likes of the CCS and Amex stadiums. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and by f**k did we have some good times in those old stadiums.

It's one reason why I always attend Peterborough away and hope they stay up each season, a classic old ground.

:old:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Gillingham,made of scaffolding. :lol:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:
blooobirds wrote:Any of the new plastic bowls :ayatollah:

Here here, give me back any of the grounds you have all mentioned over the likes of the CCS and Amex stadiums. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and by f**k did we have some good times in those old stadiums.

It's one reason why I always attend Peterborough away and hope they stay up each season, a classic old ground.

:old:

here here !! :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Stamford Bridge was bad, back in the day. Open terrace, running track around it, miles from the play. Ditto Eastville. Can't remember if there was a roof at Somerton Park, but it was like the other two. Had a speedway track :shock: Happy days, though :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Exeter for me. Didn't help we lost 2 nil either.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:28 pm

WALSALLS OLD GROUND :
VETCH FIELD
TWERTON PARK
HEREFORD

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Definitely depends on what the definition of a bad away end is. Obviously at the likes of Barnet, Cambridge and Torquay, you are in a small, shabby, uncovered area and likely to get rained on, but when you're only paying £5-£10, it's packed out with City fans, and you're close to the pitch, you will still have a great day out (Torquay - "who let the goals in? Jones, Jones").

If you're paying £50 odd like at the Emirates,you don't expect to then find that your view is obscured because of the tier above. Of the older grounds in the premiership, was a bit disappointed with Villa's ground, where the bar area was all very cramped, and no facilities for having a cigarette.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:34 pm

adamt958 wrote:Bored so going to start a bit of a discussion,
what's the worst away ends that you've been in and why? :ayatollah:

Probably the Manor Ground Oxford.