Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Annis

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:50 am

Was I right or was I right about the squad????

Ok my timing might have been off and they went for major strengthening in the summer rather than Christmas. But they've shown good business and footballing sense in that you don't throw good money after bad and make star signings on top of a developing squad. Last year we needed major re-vamping with all of the leavers so there was no point in making marquee signings with all the work that had to be done. Now the squad is settled we've seen the star signings to complement what we had.

It dawned on me the other day that perhaps they know more about football than we realise. Look at the levels of investment Chelsea, Man City and also Leicester have had into their squads. They've all been big instant hits and none of them have wielded the levels on instant success that are expected. With us there's been some more measured development last season with the cherries on the cake this year to hopefully top it off and seriously help us challenge for the Auto/Champions.

Re: Annis

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:16 pm

too positive for this board :lol: :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Time will tell with this squad but we were third in January. I still think if we invested like Reading and Southampton we could have gone up last season. VT unfortunately has always had strings attached to his investments. How will you feel this January if we are not in the top six? Will you expect VT to open his cheque book then?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:35 pm

With all the kerfuffle and stuff over the last few days I see mr Abraham has dodged a response. Hmmmmmm as he would say

WHERE'S MY APOLOGY.??? ;)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:11 am

Natman Blue wrote:With all the kerfuffle and stuff over the last few days I see mr Abraham has dodged a response. Hmmmmmm as he would say

You on some serious hard drugs pal? :lol:

1. You probably haven't had a reply as 'Mr Abrahams' is a family man and it is late at night.

And

2. If you think you can positively compare your investments too that of Man City and Chelsea, then I suggest you NEVER post on this or any other football related message board again you tool! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 am

EastleighBlue wrote:Time will tell with this squad but we were third in January. I still think if we invested like Reading and Southampton we could have gone up last season. VT unfortunately has always had strings attached to his investments. How will you feel this January if we are not in the top six? Will you expect VT to open his cheque book then?

Spot on.

Even Malky in a meeting I attended,5 wks ago stated those that spent last January went up.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:10 am

64JACK wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:With all the kerfuffle and stuff over the last few days I see mr Abraham has dodged a response. Hmmmmmm as he would say

You on some serious hard drugs pal? :lol:

1. You probably haven't had a reply as 'Mr Abrahams' is a family man and it is late at night.

And

2. If you think you can positively compare your investments too that of Man City and Chelsea, then I suggest you NEVER post on this or any other football related message board again you tool! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

BTW, well done on your win on the weekend! Totally outplayed them!

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:00 am

Natman Blue wrote:Was I right or was I right about the squad????

Ok my timing might have been off and they went for major strengthening in the summer rather than Christmas. But they've shown good business and footballing sense in that you don't throw good money after bad and make star signings on top of a developing squad. Last year we needed major re-vamping with all of the leavers so there was no point in making marquee signings with all the work that had to be done. Now the squad is settled we've seen the star signings to complement what we had.

It dawned on me the other day that perhaps they know more about football than we realise. Look at the levels of investment Chelsea, Man City and also Leicester have had into their squads. They've all been big instant hits and none of them have wielded the levels on instant success that are expected. With us there's been some more measured development last season with the cherries on the cake this year to hopefully top it off and seriously help us challenge for the Auto/Champions.

You say its a good bit of business and not to throw away money but we throw away money every season jay,burke,chops, ect ect players worth millions moved on for free or transfers even miller 900k for one season at a near 30k per week, thats good business i suppose.
Last season we was 2nd in the league only ONE yes ONE point off top come the start fo jan, now anybody could see things was starting to go downhill on the pitch before jan with performances but we was somehow grinding out draws/wins against the run of play in many games hence why we got there to second place as the results was better than the performances on the pitch epople could see things would turn bad game after game one way or the other.
What did we do about it when the others up there spent money, well we done nothing but bought some harris kid for 150k that nobody has even seen yet. Thats was are promotion push 150k when everybody with two working eyes knew we needed atleast 3-4 good players even now before this season kicked off we got MM and PLAYERS saying we was short last season with excuses of players playing more games and out of there feet. I for one even said in jan we would have these excuses and there here now for are failers last season but we move on to a new one, you really couldnt make this up.
After jan it was are slide down the league but unlike before where we would get more wins / draws before xmas to jan while playing shit, this time it was the other way around we would get beat or draw with the odd win because the shit performances carryed on which couldnt cover up results anymore and that was that most people knew what was comming deep down.
This season alone we have had 35million ploughed in on running costs/MM budget we are told so why didnt he give MM 10million back in jan is that not trying to save money and go for it while we was in such a good position, some people even know there was only loan money on the table but others will say we had millions, who's to say we will get back to second place this season im not to sure if its the same football that seems to have carryed on since the end of jan last season. You have to take it with both hands when it comes around and we didnt last season so it cost us, other clubs did who was around us but where are they now sitting on a 90million income stream.

On to your second point i have no idea how you can compare us with chelsea or man city lets be real here we look like a cheap suit if we stood are squad next to both theres thats another world away from us in every way.
Ok this season we have invested but this was always going to happen due to alot of players going on frees or one-two transfers, again why not last jan when we was where we was knowing we needed it so badly for it could have reaped rewards which is what the owners are after every year we are told (the prem).
We had this rebrand episode which was causing uproar the only way to ease the pain the malaysians think is signings but for some all the top singings in the world would not ease the pain when you compare it with are colour/badge it goes deeper than that.
We do have a better squad now this season than last we all know this, no doubt there will be one more to come in after this new defender today weather MM is the man for the job it remains to be seen yes ok we was short lats season but this season hes had what he wanted there ALL his players so i dont expect to watch more shit football as we got wide players ,strikers, defenders all added to what we had last season which he craved for in the media for Nine months.
If come may if we are not up there like you mention auto/champions then i have no doubt MM will be phoned a taxi, hopefully we will end up where you say but i see nothing more than a failer if we are not in the top two come the end of the season with everything ive mentioned and everything thats gone on at our club.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 am

Stop playing hide/seek natman i can see your posting in other threads. Give me some answers :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:51 am

Forever Blue wrote:
EastleighBlue wrote:Time will tell with this squad but we were third in January. I still think if we invested like Reading and Southampton we could have gone up last season. VT unfortunately has always had strings attached to his investments. How will you feel this January if we are not in the top six? Will you expect VT to open his cheque book then?

Spot on.

Even Malky in a meeting I attended,5 wks ago stated those that spent last January went up.

But we had him in the media weekly saying we need new players all last season, it does make you wonder why we tossed such a good chance to go up knowing we was in 2nd and we have done more now this season going off a dead start and not knowing where we will be in the league at all :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:25 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:Stop playing hide/seek natman i can see your posting in other threads. Give me some answers :ayatollah:

give me chance mun, der. you posted an essay!

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:38 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:Was I right or was I right about the squad????

You say its a good bit of business and not to throw away money but we throw away money every season jay,burke,chops, ect ect players worth millions moved on for free or transfers even miller 900k for one season at a near 30k per week, thats good business i suppose.

Jay - out of contract, nothing we could do. Chopra - let the team down, so sold. Burke - contract up too, nothing we could do. We didn't throw away money there, our hands were tied in the end

Last season we was 2nd in the league only ONE yes ONE point off top come the start fo jan, now anybody could see things was starting to go downhill on the pitch before jan with performances but we was somehow grinding out draws/wins against the run of play in many games hence why we got there to second place as the results was better than the performances on the pitch epople could see things would turn bad game after game one way or the other.

There seems to be that we attempted to sign a number of players (high quality too) during that time which didn't materialise for one reason or another - Sordell to Bolton, Noone with Brighton's chairman. The failings for not finding alternatives to these purchases, well that would be insightful to find out but one the club needs to ask more than us really

What did we do about it when the others up there spent money, well we done nothing but bought some harris kid for 150k that nobody has even seen yet. Thats was are promotion push 150k when everybody with two working eyes knew we needed atleast 3-4 good players even now before this season kicked off we got MM and PLAYERS saying we was short last season with excuses of players playing more games and out of there feet. I for one even said in jan we would have these excuses and there here now for are failers last season but we move on to a new one, you really couldnt make this up.
After jan it was are slide down the league but unlike before where we would get more wins / draws before xmas to jan while playing shit, this time it was the other way around we would get beat or draw with the odd win because the shit performances carryed on which couldnt cover up results anymore and that was that most people knew what was comming deep down.
This season alone we have had 35million ploughed in on running costs/MM budget we are told so why didnt he give MM 10million back in jan is that not trying to save money and go for it while we was in such a good position, some people even know there was only loan money on the table but others will say we had millions, who's to say we will get back to second place this season im not to sure if its the same football that seems to have carryed on since the end of jan last season. You have to take it with both hands when it comes around and we didnt last season so it cost us, other clubs did who was around us but where are they now sitting on a 90million income stream.

On to your second point i have no idea how you can compare us with chelsea or man city lets be real here we look like a cheap suit if we stood are squad next to both theres thats another world away from us in every way.

I don't mean in pure financial terms, on that front we're not even close!!! But on the basis that we do have wealthy owners and comparative to our division and some Premier League teams (albeit via debt not equity) we do have a substantial budget. What I meant to say, perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough; Leicester, Man City, and Chelsea for the first number of seasons threw money at their team with no titles or championships which equates to big outlay with little return. I'm saying that possibly VT and TG have seen this and learnt from it and are adopting a more pragmatic approach of developing the squad first (last season's efforts) and then adding the quality and star power on top of this once the foundation has been built (we failed in January but have done so considerably this summer). Rather, than for example, paying Bellamy's wages while he was surrounded by a team that is never going to sustain a promotion push. So gradual growth and development of the squad rather than a radical investment, when considering the overhaul that had to take place at the beginning of last season was probably a wise investment move.

Ok this season we have invested but this was always going to happen due to alot of players going on frees or one-two transfers, again why not last jan when we was where we was knowing we needed it so badly for it could have reaped rewards which is what the owners are after every year we are told (the prem).
We had this rebrand episode which was causing uproar the only way to ease the pain the malaysians think is signings but for some all the top singings in the world would not ease the pain when you compare it with are colour/badge it goes deeper than that.
We do have a better squad now this season than last we all know this, no doubt there will be one more to come in after this new defender today weather MM is the man for the job it remains to be seen yes ok we was short lats season but this season hes had what he wanted there ALL his players so i dont expect to watch more shit football as we got wide players ,strikers, defenders all added to what we had last season which he craved for in the media for Nine months.
If come may if we are not up there like you mention auto/champions then i have no doubt MM will be phoned a taxi, hopefully we will end up where you say but i see nothing more than a failer if we are not in the top two come the end of the season with everything ive mentioned and everything thats gone on at our club.

To a degree I agree with you, although I want to see more this season of Malky can do. I expect top 2 though also, I'm even hoping for being the Champions as I wouldn't like that fact that we got to the Prem without winning one of the leagues : (

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:57 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:Stop playing hide/seek natman i can see your posting in other threads. Give me some answers :ayatollah:

Come on now, I can see your online again and posting on other threads. come one!!! ;)

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:29 pm

bluebird1977 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on.

But we had him in the media weekly saying we need new players all last season, it does make you wonder why we tossed such a good chance to go up knowing we was in 2nd and we have done more now this season going off a dead start and not knowing where we will be in the league at all :ayatollah:

Ian, it really does make you wonder and you are correct, Malky stated for months he needed to strengthen his squad last season.