Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SCOUT'S REPORT: OXFORD UNITED

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:03 pm

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/New ... 75,00.html :ayatollah:

City continue their pre-season with a trip to Oxford United on Saturday. Oliver Roderick has the preview.

OXFORD UNITED

Returning to the Football League in 2010 after a four-year absence, Oxford United have solidified their position in League Two with two successive top-half finishes under manager Chris Wilder.

Cardiff City are the visitors to the Kassam Stadium in United's final home pre-season friendly following their recent win over Premier League West Ham United. The Yellows will begin their season at home against AFC Bournemouth in the Capital One Cup, with their League Two campaign kicking off at Bristol Rovers the following Saturday.

After a seventy-six year spell at the Manor Ground beginning in 1925, Oxford moved to their current home at the 12,500 capacity Kassam Stadium in 2001, a ground which has already seen their fall into the Conference National in 2006 and their subsequent promotion in 2010. The record attendance is 12,243 for the final game of the 2005/06 season which saw United relegated from the Football League following defeat to Leyton Orient.

The Kassam is unusual for a Football League ground in that there are only three stands instead of the usual four. Ground plans catered for a 16,000 capacity, but the average attendance lowered following relegation to Division Three in 2001 and the fourth stand was deemed unnecessary.

KEY PLAYERS

City fans will have no problem identifying one member of the Yellows' current ranks: Tony Capaldi was a Bluebird from 2007 to 2010 and has made his way to the Us via a loan spell at Leeds United and a year at Morecambe in League Two.

Michael Duberry has enjoyed a long career which has taken in time at Chelsea, Leeds and Stoke, while at just twenty three striker/winger Sean Rigg has already amassed well over 150 appearances in club football. Defender and captain Jake Wright has made exactly one hundred league appearances in Oxford colours.

With seventy-one goals in 163 competitive appearances for the club, James Constable can be seen as Oxford's most potent goal threat. Constable's goal in the 1-0 win over Wrexham during the 2008/09 season was described as 'one of the most dramatic late goals in Oxford United's history'. He has played for the England C Team, who represent the country at non-league level.

PREVIOUS MEETING

The Bluebirds have faced the Us twenty-five times in competitive fixtures, the most recent of which being last season's Carling Cup first-round tie at the Kassam Stadium, which City ran out 3-1 winners after extra time. Craig Conway's opener was cancelled out by Simon Clist (now at Hereford United), before Peter Whittingham and Nat Jarvis both struck to put City en route to the final at Wembley.

CLICK HERE http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/articles ... ~1,00.html to listen to live and uninterrupted commentary of City v Oxford United with Richard Shepherd and Barrie McAuliffe from 2.45pm Saturday afternoon on Cardiff City Player

Re: SCOUT'S REPORT: OXFORD UNITED

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 pm

cheers rhys,

i see your going then! a chance maybe to see some of the newest additions...

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

brings back memories oxford, arrested down here in the early 80s after the game. bound over to keep the peace £100 :roll:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:cheers rhys,

Yeah I done Forest Green and Cheltenham, Oxford tomorrow but giving Bournemouth a miss, went there last year. Might pop down to Barry next week to see the youngsters. Just watched an interview with Malky on CC Player and he said Helguson will start tomorrow. :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:39 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:

Yeah I done Forest Green and Cheltenham, Oxford tomorrow but giving Bournemouth a miss, went there last year. Might pop down to Barry next week to see the youngsters. Just watched an interview with Malky on CC Player and he said Helguson will start tomorrow. :ayatollah:

nice one mate, i dont get chance to do many aways as i like lately due to work. be good to see helguson, i think he may be more useful than some are making out...

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Blackwood_Bluebird wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:

nice one mate, i dont get chance to do many aways as i like lately due to work. be good to see helguson, i think he may be more useful than some are making out...

Exactly, look at Kevin Phillips, done brilliant at Blackpool who is 39 now, but was 38 last season. I'm not saying Heidar will do as good but you never know. :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:47 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:

Exactly, look at Kevin Phillips, done brilliant at Blackpool who is 39 now, but was 38 last season. I'm not saying Heidar will do as good but you never know. :ayatollah:

16 prem appearances last season 9 goals.... not bad in that league.... thats a pretty good return...

darren bent 22 aps 9 goals
andy carroll 47apps 9 goals.....

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:49 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:

16 prem appearances last season 9 goals.... not bad in that league.... thats a pretty good return...

darren bent 22 aps 9 goals
andy carroll 47apps 9 goals.....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Scout report? Get RedBluebird on the case :lol:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:20 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Scout report? Get RedBluebird on the case :lol:

:lol: :lol: