Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Liam Lawrence

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Now one of only two Pomey players left with Ben Haim. Wonder if Malky's hands off approach to bring him back is because they believe he will negotiate himself out f his contract and join on a free.

That said if we get Smith that gives us: Kim, Conway, Cowie, Smith, Bellamy, Harris and even Mason that can play out there.

Re: Liam Lawrence

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Although I liked Lawrence if it was down to me I would pass on this one, unless ofcourse we were able to get him in for free and on a very low salary (doubtful I know).

Passionate and wholehearted but not a lot of quality would be a fair assessment of Liam Lawrence, we'll need more than that to get promoted next season.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Please no, the only time i seen him play well was when MM would switch him out wide with 10mins to go otherwise he would cuddle up with the other 4 midfileders in the center of the pitch or he would start there for some reason unknown and play shit :shock:
Last edited by Bluebird1977 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:47 pm

I remember him playing for Sunderland a few years back at Ninian Park and he looked a quality player.

However, during his loan period earlier this year he looked very slow and may have been extremely unfit. I agree with the above post, great player but I'd pass on this one.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I remember him playing for Sunderland a few years back at Ninian Park and he looked a quality player.

However, during his loan period earlier this year he looked very slow and may have been extremely unfit. I agree with the above post, great player but I'd pass on this one.

He was coming back from injury when he joined us mind!

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Overthemoon wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:I remember him playing for Sunderland a few years back at Ninian Park and he looked a quality player.

Cheers I didn't know that, but it would explain a lot.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:

Cheers I didn't know that, but it would explain a lot.

He mentioned he takes several games to get back to full match fitness too.

Combined with the fact Pompey couldn't afford to scan him and it was always going to be a disaster :lol:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:24 pm

What if we were to make a "cheeky" approach for the 2.

Get them both really cheap and allow Pompey to progress?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:What if we were to make a "cheeky" approach for the 2.

I'm sure they would both be available on frees anyway it's just they are on stupid wages they dont want to give up.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:29 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

I'm sure they would both be available on frees anyway it's just they are on stupid wages they dont want to give up.

Surely they would no longer be in a position to command such salaries, in either case I'd pass.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:33 pm

SeanJr wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Surely they would no longer be in a position to command such salaries, in either case I'd pass.

Not when they move no.

But they still have a contract with Pompey at those wage so prob looking for some kind of payoff.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Thought Lawrence was OK. Did not know that he was recovering from injury, but he helped steady things when we were struggling. Scored a great diving header right in front of us at Barnsley too :ayatollah: If we can get him on a free, or even a small fee, then he could be a useful addition to the squad. Malky seems to rate him. Don't know what he's on at Pompey, but he's not really ina position to ask for silly money. Good, experienced squad player.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:21 pm

neither for me.... dont need ben haim and didnt think lawrence was that great, although a passionate player id also pass on this..

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Funny how they want their wages when its under 5 of them! :lol:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Not for me.

Thought he was below average for us. Looked hell of player for Pompey though?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Struggled playing central for us but did pretty well wide.

I think that was more to do with us lacking wide players more than anything tho. He is ok a reported 18k, if he reduced it to 6-7k I'd be tempted to add him.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:11 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19120241

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:16 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Struggled playing central for us but did pretty well wide.

I think that was more to do with us lacking wide players more than anything tho. He is ok a reported 18k, if he reduced it to 6-7k I'd be tempted to add him.

6-8k As a squad player I'd snap your hand off for.

He'd bring good experience and good quality depth to call upon when needed.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:25 pm

Aramore wrote:

I don't think he is worth anymore though.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:29 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Aramore wrote:

I don't think he is worth anymore though.

No that would be the max. Would want him on a free too, or maybe a minor fee to pay off some of his unpaid wages top help Pompey out.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Yeah I wouldn't pay a fee.
People say about players like smith and Lawrence not being good enough for the starting 11 then moan the squad is paper thin.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Yeah I wouldn't pay a fee.
People say about players like smith and Lawrence not being good enough for the starting 11 then moan the squad is paper thin.

I'd rather Lawrence than Smith personally.

I think thy're similar sort of players ability wise and Lawrence is far more likely to accept a lower wage than Smith because he doesn't have the luxury of sitting on a big contract if a move falls down.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:42 pm

I dunno why but I have a gut feelin that Smith would become a huge fans fav after initial moans.

Lawrence we know what we will offer.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:02 am

I can't see there being any fans favourites thios season unless we're top of the table by Christmas and manage to avoid going behind or conceding an equaliser at any point in the season. Anything less than that will be a failure :lol: