Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Maynard or Bothroyd ?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:43 am

Both good strikers at this level - but which one would be the best deal for us.

Maynard will cost £3-£4m, Bothroyd could be next to nothing if QPR dont want him

Maynard is young and still can improve further, Bothroyd will have no sell-on value

Both are quick, both can score goals, but for me maynard is more consistent.

Bothroyd is better in the air and may be a better link for our strikers.

Bothroyd's attitude isn't great - Maynard seems much better on that score.

I think Maynard will get 20 for us, Bothroyd is capable of it, but if his head drops ?

Bothroyd is mre skilful.

For me I'd go for maynard, the fee could be recouped at any time-and more possibly, he's less of a risk and would fit in better. I still think Bothroyd is the best striker city have had for a long time, and wouldn't complain about him coming back, but its Maynard for me.

Its not my money I'm spending though :lol:

What do you all think ?

Re: Maynard or Bothroyd ?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:53 am

Jay no doubt about it.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:53 am

Maynard no question! :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:02 am

Agree with you there I wouldn't complain if Bothroyd come back too much, but would pick Maynard. He has the quality but also has the attitude.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:13 am

Out of the two, probably Maynard. Unless Jay can sort his attitude on and off the pitch out.

Would rather see Ricardo Fuller sign on a free, though. ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:18 am

If Bothroyd would be next to nothing, why not take both?

Would be a force :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:18 am

Jollffe wrote:Out of the two, probably Maynard. Unless Jay can sort his attitude on and off the pitch out.

Would rather see Ricardo Fuller sign on a free, though. ;)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I would have liked Fuller a few years ago, he was a handful, but he's pretty much at the end of it now. Maynard in some ways reminds me of him as he was with the pace over 10 yards, balance, power and finishing. Plus Fuller's attitude won't endear him to MM anyway ;)

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:41 am

Lawnmower wrote:Both good strikers at this level - but which one would be the best deal for us.

Maynard will cost £3-£4m, Bothroyd could be next to nothing if QPR dont want him

Maynard is young and still can improve further, Bothroyd will have no sell-on value

Both are quick, both can score goals, but for me maynard is more consistent.

Bothroyd is better in the air and may be a better link for our strikers.

Bothroyd's attitude isn't great - Maynard seems much better on that score.

I think Maynard will get 20 for us, Bothroyd is capable of it, but if his head drops ?

Bothroyd is mre skilful.

For me I'd go for maynard, the fee could be recouped at any time-and more possibly, he's less of a risk and would fit in better. I still think Bothroyd is the best striker city have had for a long time, and wouldn't complain about him coming back, but its Maynard for me.

Its not my money I'm spending though :lol:

What do you all think ?

tim
west ham gazumped us in january by offering 35k a week in wages for him.
they took a gamble to get up but it looks like they dont consider him good enough at premiership level. that being the case i dont see us paying those wages when if we got promoted we would be trying to offload him as well.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:08 am

ScottCcfc27 wrote:If Bothroyd would be next to nothing, why not take both?

Wages.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:28 am

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
ScottCcfc27 wrote:If Bothroyd would be next to nothing, why not take both?

Wages.

Fair enough. Maynard then.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 am

2blue2handle wrote:Jay no doubt about it.

Agree!

Bothroyd, no question about it. :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:11 am

As soon as Jay made his England debut, his Cardiff City career was over.
His head swelled to the max and he was no longer interested.

Fair enough. His career etc, he thought he deserved a Premiership slot.

But he has failed.

Do i f**k want him back, hand grenade waiting to go off!!

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:17 am

taffyapple wrote:As soon as Jay made his England debut, his Cardiff City career was over.

But he has failed.

Sorry Taffy, I usually like reading your posts, but I think you've got Jay a bit wrong here!

He got injured just after his England Debut and was out for 2 months!

It took him a bit of time to get back into things after his injury, but by the end of the season he was up to speed again and who can forget his performance and goal against QPR?

Whilst he certainly went down too easily on occasion, he took an awful lot of hits without the ref's protection, there was nobody better in the Championship at keeping the ball up and he chipped in with a decent goal return, for somebody who missed a fair bit of the season through injury!

He certainly peeved some fans off by going down so easily on occasion and he may well have had an attitude problem at previous clubs, but I've not heard of anybody within the club slating Jay for his attitude off the pitch, whilst at Cardiff!

If the price was right, I'd have him back at Cardiff tomorrow! :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:32 am

Overthemoon wrote:
taffyapple wrote:As soon as Jay made his England debut, his Cardiff City career was over.

But he has failed.

Sorry Taffy, I usually like reading your posts, but I think you've got Jay a bit wrong here!

It took him a bit of time to get back into things after his injury, but by the end of the season he was up to speed again and who can forget his performance and goal against QPR?

Whilst he certainly went down too easily on occasion, he took an awful lot of hits without the ref's protection, there was nobody better in the Championship at keeping the ball up and he chipped in with a decent goal return, for somebody who missed a fair bit of the season through injury!

He certainly peeved some fans off by going down so easily on occasion and he may well have had an attitude problem at previous clubs, but I've not heard of anybody within the club slating Jay for his attitude off the pitch, whilst at Cardiff!

This is absolutely spot on! In my opinion nobody can deny that Jay Bothroyd was a fantastic striker for us! Great post. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:34 pm

ones to dear ones just pants i will leave you to work it out :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Overthemoon wrote:

But he has failed.

If thats the case then your no longer my mate :evil:

Actually, you make a good point. I shall sit on the Bothroyd fence for a bit :D

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Bothroyd every time.

Was never given the plaudits he deserved from the PA last year, the plazzies are like that unless you've scored 30 plus goals in the Premier League.

:old: :old: :old:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:35 pm

But he has failed.

Well said!

He was glum once he realised he wouldn't get another England opportunity, and it was fairly obvious he was looking for that Premier League move in January.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:38 pm

In Jay's last season we scored more goal than QPR and in more games than QPR yes finished 4th

For some reason this is our Top Goalscorer's fault.

Jay is a quality player at this level who would still walk into our side this season.

You lot got on board the "it must be the England cap" train without a second's though.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Maynard every time

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Damn good question,,,We know what we get with Bothroyd. Would like to try something new, so Maynard by a whisker.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Overthemoon wrote:

But he has failed.

I totally agree

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Or.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:34 pm

Jollffe wrote:

But he has failed.

Well said!

He was glum once he realised he wouldn't get another England opportunity, and it was fairly obvious he was looking for that Premier League move in January.

How do you know that he was glum and realised he wouldn't get another England opportunity and how do you work out that he was looking for a move from us in january, when he was out injured for for several weeks over this period? :?

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Its Bothroyd for me every time
He will do a job for us up front and Bellers will certainly be on his case if his attitude is not right
His ball control and hold up play is second to none
He is worth a 2nd chance especially on a free
He played the best football of his career at our club.
Malky go get him !

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 pm

we've got old strikers , what use is jay, maynard his clinical pace he's young, hungry its a no brainer in my oppinion,

maynard and bellamy to add now and we would tear this league apart

but it wont happen, one or the other