Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DO OUR CURRENT CROP OF STRIKERS GIVE US PROMOTION FORMULA?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 pm

have we got enough .... or is their to much junk in out trunk?
Firstly might I add kenny Miller = massive loss

heres my striker summery

Earnshaw, a good striker first time around in the championship the standard has upped since 2004 and im affraid to say that even if he was 22 again it would be challenging in the championship for him, verdict, mid table at best if this striker played 46 games

velikonja - Looks to have 3 or 4 of the 5 attributes you would look for in a prolfic striker, he's got pace, he can finish, he's scored 20 in the equivelent league to the scottish first division and he's rated by malky, (we'l wait and see)

Gustede - I dont rate him, he played about 5 or 6 GREAT games all season, sturggled to reach his peak fitness all year due to his poor fitness and injury proneness, I'd keep an eye on him this season to see how he progresses, but not expecting the next jay bothroyd

Joe mason - The boy has talent no doubt, natural goal scorer, my concern would be his strength and inability to deal with strong rough and intimidating defenders, have to be honest scored some superb goals, but a combination of skill , luck and right place at the right time for a few of his goals last term, I personally dont think he will ever offer us as much as michael chopra , scott mackormack could of, or even cameron jerome .
good enough to keep us on the fringe of play off's but not promotion

Helguson - Experienced, he's been promoted with QPR crucial experience for our campaign he's had alot of premiership experience good in the air, reads the game well can offer us alot but not someone who can take the full weight of cardiff city on his shoulders at his age playing week in week out, apparently he's quite injury prone aswell. A good addition, (in my oppinion a match winner)

If you honestly had to go by this,
you cant think we have a stand out striker who could take this league by storm and guide us to automatic promotion unless velikonja shocks everyone,
even with bellamy, its a masive ask to expect him to take us there,
we need someone Young (someone like nicky maynard)

you give cardiff city nicky maynard , craig bellamy, and one more CB I have no doubt in my mind we will be firmly in the top 6

Re: DO OUR CURRENT CROP OF STRIKERS GIVE US PROMOTION FORMULA?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 pm

nope

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:48 pm

NO - Where is the 20 + goal striker to take us up :?:

Now before anyone says...Chops - Witts - Rosco - All scored about that amount of goals and we did NOT GO UP :o

We now have a better organised defence than of past seasons ( IMO ) :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:27 am

No because rudy is a div 2 player at best and will be out for most of the season, earnie will not play 6games this season in total and mason plays out wide most the time, so that leaves etien and helguson hardly a promotion formula as one is not even tested at this level yet, could take time for him to adapt :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:13 am

Earnshaw will leave. His wages will mean we can sign someone else. Stop panicking.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:46 am

Don't think so in my opinion. Helguson is a great addition but still think we need a striker with some quality.

Do think though that our midfield will chip in with slightly more goals this season. Lots of talent on both flanks and Whitts always chips in with a decent amount of goals. Hopefully the wingers can get more balls into the box as I thought at the end of last season we wasn't getting enough in.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:47 am

Bench would look a lot stronger with Miller on it.

We still need another striker for sure and I'm sure we will.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:02 am

2blue2handle wrote:Bench would look a lot stronger with Miller on it.

millar :shock:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:07 am

bluebird1977 wrote:

If Miller would of had a target man up front with him, he would of scored a lot more goals

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:11 am

Pontyclun Blue wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

If Miller would of had a target man up front with him, he would of scored a lot more goals

Millar couldnt wait o get the f**k out of here i know that he was promised a partner monthly while he was here :lol:
:ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:28 am

Miller would have tried to sit on the bench but missed.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:39 am

bluebird1977 wrote:

Yeah, someone to come on in games, to close down from the front. Ideal sub when winning a game and looking to hold on.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:40 am

2blue2handle wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

Yeah, someone to come on in games, to close down from the front. Ideal sub when winning a game and looking to hold on.

Hes gone 2blue

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:39 am

If the club wants promotion then we need a striker that can score 20+

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:54 am

bluebird1977 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:

Hes gone 2blue

I know that :lol:
He was asking but our strike force and is it good enough. I just meant should he have stayed the bench would look a lot stronger with him on it :mrgreen:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:53 am

It's a myth that you have to have a 20 goal striker to get you promoted. Last season Reading's top scorer was Le Fondre with 12. West Ham's was Carlton Cole with 15 There are enough goals in our team to keep us in contention, I believe. And it is just possible that Mason will be the icing on the cake and be a prolific striker - if he is played in the right position. Needs to strenghten up a bit but he has a terrific football brain and nearly always hits the target when he shoots (unlike Miller).

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 am

Nemo wrote:It's a myth that you have to have a 20 goal striker to get you promoted. Last season Reading's top scorer was Le Fondre with 12. West Ham's was Carlton Cole with 15 There are enough goals in our team to keep us in contention, I believe. And it is just possible that Mason will be the icing on the cake and be a prolific striker - if he is played in the right position. Needs to strenghten up a bit but he has a terrific football brain and nearly always hits the target when he shoots (unlike Miller).

Good call.

Whittingham. Mason. Helgusson.

Between those three I think we will get 40+ goals

Velonikja. Gunnarsson. Kim Bo.... There MUST be another 30 there.

Bellamy weighing in with ten.

Hudson, Turner, Mutch.. must be worth ten between them?

This season is all about our defence. We must be tighter than a jews purse.
If we are, and if we do get one more striker in.

we will score goals from all over the pitch

The world is BLUE!!!!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Shit, sorry, forgot...... :( :evil:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 am

Velonikja. Gunnarsson. Kim Bo.... There MUST be another 30 there.

30 goals :lol:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:09 am

I stopped reading after you declared Kenny Miller was a "Massive Loss".