Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The latest on Helguson

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:54 am

Cardiff City will complete the signing of QPR striker Heidar Helguson from QPR in the next 24 hours.

The Icelandic hitman is on the brink of completing a one-year deal that will make him boss Malky Mackay's fifth signing of the summer.

The 34-year-old, who scored for Rangers on a pre-season tour of Malaysia yesterday, is deemed surplus to requirements by manager Mark Hughes.

Helguson, who has played more than 50 times for his country, played under Mackay during a loan spell at Watford in 2009/10.

He is expected to complete a medical and finalise terms on the free transfer deal later today.

The former Fulham striker follows Joe Lewis, Jordon Mutch, Kim Bo-Kyung and Etien Velikonja to Cardiff City Stadium ahead of the new season.

WalesOnline understands Mackay is still keen to add Wales striker Craig Bellamy to his squad before the end of this month, with Bellamy also a target for Hughes' Premier League side.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z22NRnoEoF

Re: Walesonline reporting on Helguson

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:56 am

Ideal on a one year contract. But of experience and another option when things ain't going to well.

Re: The latest on Helguson

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:00 am

I like Helguson, always looks a menace when i see him play better we got him that any other championship side. Good squad additon.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:01 am

He is to old, we must be able to do better..

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 am

Good addition useful to bring off the bench but we still need the sriker that will get us 20 plus goals :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:06 am

blueheaven wrote:Good addition useful to bring off the bench but we still need the sriker that will get us 20 plus goals :ayatollah:

I agree ;)

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:14 am

I can see the concern with his age but trust me this guy will be worth 10 points minimum to you next season on his own.

For a 5ft 10 man he has a spring that is simply unbelievable. He wins headers at least 8 times out of 10, is a total war horse giving defenders no room or time to settle & is deadly from the spot also.

You will get him for free I'd imagine if not then very cheaply & will get you goals guaranteed.

You only need his services for one season only if you purchase wisely elsewhere.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:20 am

Stan-QPR wrote:I can see the concern with his age but trust me this guy will be worth 10 points minimum to you next season on his own.

For a 5ft 10 man he has a spring that is simply unbelievable. He wins headers at least 8 times out of 10, is a total war horse giving defenders no room or time to settle & is deadly from the spot also.

You will get him for free I'd imagine if not then very cheaply & will get you goals guaranteed.

You only need his services for one season only if you purchase wisely elsewhere.

His age doesn't show in his game then?

The little i seen of him last season he looks like he still had legs in him.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:22 am

I'd be happy with his,had some experience into the squad :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:22 am

Stan-QPR wrote:I can see the concern with his age but trust me this guy will be worth 10 points minimum to you next season on his own.

Wise words. Will look forward to him leading the line.

Things are looking better and better by the day.

IMWT

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:24 am

He's still more than good enough for this division. His experience will benefit the many young players in our squad. Will be happy with this acquisition if it goes through.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:24 am

No mate because he's not a player who needs to break his balls every game. He's an intelligent player who finds space & he is best coming in at the back post for balls into the box. Honestly if you can keep him fit he'll be a big asset.

Scored 9 or 10 goals in the Premiership last season for us in a struggling side before injury & new signings dislodged him.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 am

I think he could do a good job for us, & one year contract sounds right. After all, we only had Kenny Miller for a season, that's their choice.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 am

scooby1973 wrote:He is to old, we must be able to do better..

Great contribution, 9 goals in 16 Premier League appearances last season (plus he missed most of the second half of the season). On a free transfer I am struggling to see where we could do better.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:27 am

Stan you are not his agent by any chance ;) :D In all seriousness thanks for the appraisal i think he would be a very useful addition :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 am

Defintely worth a one year contract on a free. Great header of the ball and if he comes off the bench will be ideal to give tired defenders a hard time.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:31 am

Can he play a role simular to a target man stan? win headers, be strong up front and bring other players in to play? i seem to remember him being a rough and tough centre forward who makes life hard for defenders?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:31 am

blueheaven wrote:

Stan you are not his agent by any chance ;) :D In all seriousness thanks for the appraisal i think he would be a very useful addition :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:54 am

Helguson will surprise alot of people! He will score goals for us and is a great player to come off the bench if nothing else! Clever, cleaver signing on a free and as many have said, he will add much needed experience.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:03 am

cakey-8t7 wrote:

Can he play a role simular to a target man stan? win headers, be strong up front and bring other players in to play? i seem to remember him being a rough and tough centre forward who makes life hard for defenders?

Very much so mate. On his own up front he holds his own very well, playing off a quick man he's very smart with the ball. You'll never see him with ball on the deck trying to beat a man, or cutting in for a shot, he will literally harrass the defenders constantly, wear them down, usually out jump them for headers & will blast the ball if he gets the chance. No frills.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:10 am

Stan-QPR wrote:
cakey-8t7 wrote:

Very much so mate. On his own up front he holds his own very well, playing off a quick man he's very smart with the ball. You'll never see him with ball on the deck trying to beat a man, or cutting in for a shot, he will literally harrass the defenders constantly, wear them down, usually out jump them for headers & will blast the ball if he gets the chance. No frills.

Leo Fortune-West again :lol:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:13 am

Yet another good signing - Fee does not mean quality - Andy Carroll proves this plus hundreds of other examples - Who do people want on here Messi ?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:14 am

Very happy with this purchase :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Another signing off the radar :D

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:23 am

would be a quality signing for us :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:27 am

Helguson is a very underated player, you only have to look at his goal scoring record last year for qpr to see that he can bang them in at the highest level. He'll provide experience for the team as well, you only got to look at the amount of youngsters in the team to see that an old head is needed. I remember mason last year saying how Kenny MIller helped him develop his game and I can see him doing the same for velikonja and Mason. Helguson isn't a spring chicken but he hasn't an ounce of fat on him and is the model professional. How old was Kevin Philips last season? I'm sure you can all remember what he did to us! Age is just a number

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:57 am

Gavlar wrote:Cardiff City will complete the signing of QPR striker Heidar Helguson from QPR in the next 24 hours.

The Icelandic hitman is on the brink of completing a one-year deal that will make him boss Malky Mackay's fifth signing of the summer.

The 34-year-old, who scored for Rangers on a pre-season tour of Malaysia yesterday, is deemed surplus to requirements by manager Mark Hughes.

Helguson, who has played more than 50 times for his country, played under Mackay during a loan spell at Watford in 2009/10.

He is expected to complete a medical and finalise terms on the free transfer deal later today.

The former Fulham striker follows Joe Lewis, Jordon Mutch, Kim Bo-Kyung and Etien Velikonja to Cardiff City Stadium ahead of the new season.

WalesOnline understands Mackay is still keen to add Wales striker Craig Bellamy to his squad before the end of this month, with Bellamy also a target for Hughes' Premier League side.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballna ... z22NRnoEoF

please tell me bellamy is signing...

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:59 am

is this an indication bellamy may be going to QPR

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:01 am

I don't get the negativity. He was QPR's top scorer last season, in the Premiership where they stayed up and their second top scorer the year they won the Championship. Has 33 goals in 3 seasons and is free. Cracking bit of business for me.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am

Stan-QPR wrote:
cakey-8t7 wrote:

So he's a thinking man's Jon Parkin then :lol:

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:27 am

Sounds like he'll be 10 times better than Miller. :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah: