Re: Helgusson Signing?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:49 am

Ideal as another option.

Re: Daily Mail: Helgusson Signing?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:16 am

scott_w_ccfc wrote:
tiptoe through the grange end wrote:
scott_w_ccfc wrote:
CalShepCCFC wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2182326/Heidar-Helguson-set-Cardiff.html#ixzz22KlO0LOw

reporting we're signing him on a free transfer! thoughts? :ayatollah:

Hmmm
mixed thoughts!

I believe he would be a decent signing and would score 10-15 goals for us next season at most, which is a fair amount for a target man.

But wouldn't signing him mean the end of our pursuit for a multi-million pound striker in the Maynard/Cox mould? Would be a shame if that's the case.

A 5 foot 10 target man?

Wow if he's 5ft10 then i'd be shocked and really didn't know that since he scores alot of goals with his head!

Just checked Wiki and it says he is but i could have sworn he was taller!

Don't forget Peter Thorne was only 5 Ft 10 as well and the best target man we've had at this club in the last 20 years - maybe longer.

We should be looking for another striker as well if we sign him mind, he'll only be a short term option, one I'd like to have on the bench as a game changer.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:30 am

CalShepCCFC wrote:Cardiff boss Malky Mackay is signing QPR striker Heidar Helguson on a free transfer.
The former Iceland centre forward, 34, is not part of Mark Hughes' plans at Loftus Road.

Interested: Cardiff boss Mackay is set to sign Helguson (left) on a free transfer
Mackay remains keen on adding Craig Bellamy from Liverpool. QPR are also continuing to consider a move for Celtic midfielder Ki Sung-yueng, 23.
Owner Tony Fernandes said: 'Discussions are continuing with Celtic.'

Read more:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2182326/Heidar-Helguson-set-Cardiff.html#ixzz22KlO0LOw

He has a great goalscoring record but he is 35 in a couple of weeks, not really sure on this one. Would be a good free but only for 1 season as backup?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:45 am

T1JMO wrote:
CalShepCCFC wrote:Cardiff boss Malky Mackay is signing QPR striker Heidar Helguson on a free transfer.
The former Iceland centre forward, 34, is not part of Mark Hughes' plans at Loftus Road.

Interested: Cardiff boss Mackay is set to sign Helguson (left) on a free transfer
Mackay remains keen on adding Craig Bellamy from Liverpool. QPR are also continuing to consider a move for Celtic midfielder Ki Sung-yueng, 23.
Owner Tony Fernandes said: 'Discussions are continuing with Celtic.'

Read more:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2182326/Heidar-Helguson-set-Cardiff.html#ixzz22KlO0LOw

He has a great goalscoring record but he is 35 in a couple of weeks, not really sure on this one. Would be a good free but only for 1 season as backup?

9 Premier League goals in 16 apps last season. Don't need to say much more than that.

People may go on about his hieght but in fairness I don't think I've seen a player with a better leap than Helguson.

Not the type of signing to get us off our seat but overall I think this could be a very shrewd signing (certainly better value than the reputed £4m for Nicky Maynard).

We've got to be realistic, Rudy Gestede has proven he cannot be depended on. Even if Helguson is to be used as an impact player then surely he's an improvement on what we already have.

I'd expect us to bring in another striker also.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:36 am

I would think this would be as well as another striker like Maynard tbh.

It would give us another option from the bench

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:24 am

Whether Heidar would be a good signing for you I do not know. Yes he isn't the tallest centre forward in the world but to be fair to him he leaps like the proverbial salmon, I have never known a player to hang in the air like Heidar. However, for the goals that he has scored for us, and last season I suspect was his swansong, he has also missed some absolute sitters, and I mean sitters. In our first season with us it was embarrassing at times and he ended up being shipped out to Watford for the remainder of the season and it was only when Warnock came in did he revive his QPR career. The other issues are his age, coming up 35 so he would only be a short term purchase for you and his fitness. He missed the second half of last season because of injury and will almost be guaranteed to miss at least a third of any season due to injury. All in all though, if he does leave Loftus Road the supporters will remember him with great fondness due to his contribution to the championship winning season.

On the subject of transfers, noticed you have now bought your Korean and the young lad from Brum, plus the dodgy keeper from Posh, any more coming in? I worry about the thinness of the current Cardiff squad to sustain any sort of promotion push this year. And how are the new shirts selling?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:32 am

Until we get the investment we are always going to have a paper thin squad. As for the new shirts, there not on sale until next week!

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:34 am

Damned Yank wrote:Legs are gone. A Kev Campbell type signing, probably would have similar returns too.

He can do f**k all all season and score the winner on the play off final if he wants...

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:39 am

AbsolutelyFearless wrote:
Damned Yank wrote:Legs are gone. A Kev Campbell type signing, probably would have similar returns too.

He can do f**k all all season and score the winner on the play off final if he wants...

That was Andy Campbell :lol: Daft f**k! :lol:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:39 pm

carlccfc wrote:Did the daily mail mention Kelly and Smith as well.

Hmmm. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 pm

rhys1927ccfc wrote:
scott_w_ccfc wrote:

Kelly and Smith?

Martin Kelly and Tommy Smith.

:thumbup:

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:42 pm

carlccfc wrote:
rhys1927ccfc wrote:
scott_w_ccfc wrote:

Kelly and Smith?

Martin Kelly and Tommy Smith.

:thumbup:

Is Martin Kelly looking likely to happen then Carl? :ayatollah: