Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

GSTQ Tonight.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 am

What will the reception be for that anthem tonight? Packed capacity of mostly Welsh supporters.

Personally wouldn't boo but would sit down in silence if I happened to be there.

Re: GSTQ Tonight.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:20 am

if I was there I would stand but dont sing...same thing would apply if I was Welsh, btw. I respect all national anthems, no matter which nation, find it disgraceful to boo.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 am

Youve paid to watch Great Britain --

Hence you should sing the British Anthem

Giggs Bellers and Co are going to look stupid if htey dont sing tonight.

If your not supporting the team and refuse to sing then you should not have got a ticket or in the playesr case ---should not have bothereed

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:28 am

i'll not boo, stand, not sing. Even if I knew the words I don't believe in God so why would I bother asking him to save the queen.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:29 am

Mafor wrote:Youve paid to watch Great Britain --

If your not supporting the team and refuse to sing then you should not have got a ticket or in the playesr case ---should not have bothereed

Giggs has already said that it's a personal choice not to sing the anthem. Also how will they look stupid tonight when they Havnt done in the past 2 games and whys the difference when English internationals fail to sing it at their games?

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:33 am

they are paid to play football, not to sing...

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 am

I would be proud to represent GB, however I wouldn't sing GSTQ; personal choice which should be respected.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:39 am

I went on Saturday (and going tonight). I stood up, but never sang. It was quiet. I will be doing the same tonight. I would gladly sing GSTQ although a daft song that doesn't represent my views, if England stopped hijacking it as theirs.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:41 am

OhhhGa wrote:I would be proud to represent GB, however I wouldn't sing GSTQ; personal choice which should be respected.

also think its important u identify with the lyrics. As I am a republican, I would never sing an anthem to praise royalty.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:44 am

Hofmeister wrote:
OhhhGa wrote:I would be proud to represent GB, however I wouldn't sing GSTQ; personal choice which should be respected.

also think its important u identify with the lyrics. As I am a republican, I would never sing an anthem to praise royalty.

I am also a republican, and could not bring myself to ever sing it unfortunately.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 am

Im going and i'm just going to stand, not sing. I don't believe in God and I don't worship royalty so it doesn't make sense for me to sing it. However I will respect it and won't boo

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:09 pm

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south- ... s-19062799

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Also, does anyone else think that it's just a really bad anthem? :lol:

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

I am ashamed to say that at Wembley for the England v Wales football game I sat down during GSTQ ..... hey ho :roll:

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Martyn1963 wrote:I am ashamed to say that at Wembley for the England v Wales football game I sat down during GSTQ ..... hey ho :roll:

:lol:

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 pm

What about those who paid to see Uruguay not Team GB ;)

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Why should you sing? I'm happy to support Team GB and am proud to be Welsh-British. However I don't believe in God, am an anti-monarchist, and associate that anthem with the English. Furthermore I don't know the words.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:45 pm

"Why would we invoke a non-specific deity to bail out these unelected spongers?"

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:00 pm

frosty_x wrote:

What about those who paid to see Uruguay not Team GB ;)

what about neutrals?
and what about the Uruguayans? should they sing GSTQ too? ;)

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:14 pm

DamnRightIveGotTheBlues wrote:"Why would we invoke a non-specific deity to bail out these unelected spongers?"

Obviously you prefer to vote for your spongers.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:33 pm

we clearly need to re-brand the GB national anthem... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9nnnM-__JQ :lol:

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Hofmeister wrote:if I was there I would stand but dont sing...same thing would apply if I was Welsh, btw. I respect all national anthems, no matter which nation, find it disgraceful to boo.

i don,t like the booing of national anthems.i,m english/british so if i was there i,d sing it.twenty year ago i may not have done.time changes people :old: .too much fuss is made of the singing of national anthems.some players are focussed.some maybe republican so if they don,t identify with the words then that,s up to them.if any of the none singing players tonight didn,t feel british they wouldn,t be playing.tbh i,m enjoying it.bells and allen main men

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:57 pm

I wouldn't know the words, wouldn't want to know the words and would just remain silent.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Interviewing the crowd I didnt see any Welsh fans, except the 2 girls and they dont count.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:05 pm

WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOX

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Didn't notice them 2 women that won the gold in the rowing singing..

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:16 pm

It wasn't even going to get a boo because the people who are against Team GB weren't there! :roll:

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Hofmeister wrote:if I was there I would stand but dont sing...same thing would apply if I was Welsh, btw. I respect all national anthems, no matter which nation, find it disgraceful to boo.

Hear hear. I remember the uproar when England boo'd our anthem at Old Trafford. Then we done the exact same to them. Just can't make it up.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:11 pm

A lot of people around me and around the stadium sung it, quite loud as well. Plenty of City shirts down there though

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 am

I was there and just stood in silence for GSTQ i have no time for Royallty so there is no way i am going to sing it, in front of me were 3 Mexicans & 3 Uraguyans who didn't sing either but behind me were 5 Baggies who were belting it out with gusto each to their own :D

To the poster who said you shouldn't be there if you don't sing GSTQ........... BOLLOCKS what has singing GSTQ got with supporting GB :roll: